Electric assist bikes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Seagrass, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Seagrass

    Seagrass Guest

    Half listening to Radio National the other night, I heard an item regarding a new electrical motor
    assisted bike designed at the Uni of NT and in the shops real soon.

    Anybody know more? Sydney stockers?

    Tags:

  2. seagrass wrote:

    > Half listening to Radio National the other night, I heard an item regarding a new electrical motor
    > assisted bike designed at the Uni of NT and in the shops real soon.
    >
    > Anybody know more? Sydney stockers?

    The outfit that did the research was the NT Centre for Energy Research
    (http://www.ntcer.ntu.edu.au/) They were granted money by the NTU Foundation for the project but
    there is no mention of it on the NTCER website! Maybe if you contact them (mailto:[email protected])
    they will let you know what's happening.

    --
    Cheers LB

  3. Russell Lang

    Russell Lang Guest

    "seagrass" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Half listening to Radio National the other night, I heard an item
    regarding
    > a new electrical motor assisted bike designed at the Uni of NT and in the shops real soon.
    >
    > Anybody know more? Sydney stockers?

    http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/ First 9 minutes of the 16 August 2003 program. No stockists
    mentioned, but they hope to have them in the stores by Christmas. Sounds like a better engineered
    version than the Toprun motor I have on my bike. A Lithium Ion battery (a future proposal) would be
    great for weight reduction.

  4. Al User

    Al User Guest

    In the interview Developer Dean Patterson from the Uni of NT stated that they are developing a bike
    icw a NZ bike company. Can anyone spell Avanti? Cost projected around $1600

    They're also looking at selling a Retrofit kit for around $1000.

    Website is http://www.imtmotors.com/ http://www.imtmotors.com/Photos/Bike%20Pics/Hub%20on%20bike.jpg

    "IMT currently has in their range the following products :

    * Direct drive bicycle motor - several versions, up to 720W with over 90% efficiency. These
    include suitable electronic controllers, driver controls and battery management as
    required" Al.

    Russell Lang wrote:

    > "seagrass" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Half listening to Radio National the other night, I heard an item
    >
    > regarding
    >
    >>a new electrical motor assisted bike designed at the Uni of NT and in the shops real soon.
    >>
    >>Anybody know more? Sydney stockers?
    >

    > http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/ First 9 minutes of the 16 August 2003 program. No stockists
    > mentioned, but they hope to have them in the stores by Christmas. Sounds like a better engineered
    > version than the Toprun motor I have on my bike. A Lithium Ion battery (a future proposal) would
    > be great for weight reduction.

  5. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    They said that they would be available "by christmas". Australian invention, NZ funded, made in
    Taiwan. Range about 40km between charges. About $1600 for the whole thiing or $1000 for the
    motor etc.

    I will be keeping my eye open, it sounded very interesting.

    Jack Russell

    seagrass wrote:

    >Half listening to Radio National the other night, I heard an item regarding a new electrical motor
    >assisted bike designed at the Uni of NT and in the shops real soon.
    >
    >Anybody know more? Sydney stockers?

  6. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    seagrass wrote:
    > Half listening to Radio National the other night, I heard an item regarding a new electrical motor
    > assisted bike designed at the Uni of NT and in the shops real soon.
    >
    > Anybody know more? Sydney stockers?

    Are they UCI-approved? ;-)

    &roo