Road Cycling · Public discussion

Electric bicycle

Started by Michael · · Last activity · 54 posts · 757 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 June 2006
Last activity
29 June 2006
Original author
Michael
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
757
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dane Buson said:

    I doubt I'll ever get the Stokemonkey, but it's an interesting addition.
    Keep in mind it's an adjunct to your pedaling. It's not possible to
    stop pedaling and get any power out of the Stokemonkey.

    Is this thing rear wheel drive only?

    If yes....I'm not as impressed with it

  2. Dane Buson said:

    I just picked my new Xtracycle up Friday.

    What will be your intended use for the xtracycle?

    I have a MT bike that I've been thinking abt doing
    something with.... make electric bike.. xtracycle...etc

  3. Quoted message said:
    Dane Buson said:

    I doubt I'll ever get the Stokemonkey, but it's an interesting addition.
    Keep in mind it's an adjunct to your pedaling. It's not possible to
    stop pedaling and get any power out of the Stokemonkey.

    Is this thing rear wheel drive only?

    Yes, it basically is an adjunct to your existing drivetrain.

    Quoted message said:

    If yes....I'm not as impressed with it

    I don't see why front wheel drive is desirable in a bicycle context,
    with the possible exception of MTB use. And I have to say that an
    electric MTB is just about the dumbest idea I've heard this week.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    "Even if you're paranoid, maybe they really *are* after you."

  4. On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:39:12 -0700, Dane Buson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/

    . . . yeah.

    A necessary accessory for an Xtra Cycle hauling batteries.

    Now, now, it's not something for thee or me. But if it makes people
    consider using their bike for more things, I'm all for it.

    I just picked my new Xtracycle up Friday. It's ugly as sin (I purposely
    used a frame that had been poorly rattle-canned yellow (not by me)), but
    I'm very happy with my component selection. I'm still fiddling with my
    setup, not that that's so important for a cargo bike. I have a 48 spoke
    rear wheel with the 8" disc brake setup. I went with friction shifting
    for the front triple.

    Considering your talent for destroying gear, it sounds like a sturdy
    bike. The longer chain might be its weakest link.
    I was envisioning one with double top tubes like an old roadster.
    Maybe Kona's Joe or Humuhumuhu. . .

    The Stokemonkey looks like a practical addition especially for
    someone using their Xtracycle in place of a car. Owning a rig like
    that would make you everybody's "buddy" on moving day.

    I know at least five people with Xtracycles. They all rave about
    them and use it more than they thought they would when they bought
    it. Eileen uses hers for towing a kitchen and her daughter. Andy
    uses his for hauling around sound gear and vinyl records. Andy's has
    a hub motor. Maybe two. It's hard to see with the bike loaded.

    Quoted message said:


    I doubt I'll ever get the Stokemonkey, but it's an interesting addition.
    Keep in mind it's an adjunct to your pedaling. It's not possible to
    stop pedaling and get any power out of the Stokemonkey.

    That's the feature which is most appealing. Plus its non-destructive
    reversibility. I'm impressed. Were I considering electric for my own
    use it's definitely the most attractive option.
    --
    zk

  5. Quoted message said:
    Dane Buson said:

    I just picked my new Xtracycle up Friday.

    What will be your intended use for the xtracycle?

    Grocery shopping, hardware store trips, taking the children out to
    places without dragging a trailer along. Everything I would normally
    use a car for and then some.

    http://xtracycle.com/faq.php#4

    Quoted message said:

    I have a MT bike that I've been thinking abt doing
    something with.... make electric bike.. xtracycle...etc

    You could just throw a rack/panniers/baskets on it and use it for
    grocery shopping for a start. That's how I started down the primrose
    path to utility cycling. Of course, the commuting to work via bike
    didn't help I'm sure.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    Armenians and Azerbaijanis in Stepanakert, capital of the Nagorno-Karabakh
    autonomous region, rioted over much needed spelling reform in the Soviet Union.
    -- P.J. O'Rourke

  6. Dane Buson said:
    Quoted message said:

    What will be your intended use for the xtracycle?

    Grocery shopping, hardware store trips, taking the children out to
    places without dragging a trailer along. Everything I would normally
    use a car for and then some.

    So how is it working out so far for those uses?

  7. "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Saw my first commercial, battery-powered bicycle yesterday. It entered
    the MUP
    just as I was leaving. I didn't notice at first that it was electric
    because I
    was busy taking in the rider's apparell: military "boonie" hat,
    sweatshirt,
    long trousers, and beat-up, black leather dress shoes.

    Just after I passed this thing I heard a whir-r-r and looked back. The
    guy
    pulled over, dismounted, threw himself onto a bench, and fished a
    cigarette case
    out of a pocket. So I went back for a look at the bike. That's when I
    saw the
    motor mounted on the left side and the large plastic battery box nestled
    between
    rear tire and seat tube.

    I was told it's a WalMart or Sam's Club (I forget which) bike. One chain
    ring +
    seven cogs, for pedaling. Supposedly goes 18 miles on a charge (he didn't
    mention the speed), and batteries must be replaced after 100 charges.
    Sounds
    kinda expensive to operate. Couldn't bring myself to ask what the bike
    itself
    costs.

    The Walmart alternative is sort of like their chinese alternatives to US
    products. Yes, the Chinese product is much cheaper but it's subquality in
    comparison. 18 miles per charge? It won't make more than 12 and that is
    level ground with a 150 lb rider. Now, put my fat butt on it and it won't
    make 7. Climb a few hills and you shorten it's range even further. Stop
    and start a lot and it's even shorter. It's toy with one of the poorest
    rated drives I have ever seen.

    Now, look at the 26 in. hub in wheel design. They won't go any further but
    they will be a bit faster. 15 to 20 mph. But at 15 mph, they will have a 7
    to 12 mile range with a normal or heavier rider. No chain or sprocket since
    it replaces your front hub. Plus, you don't lose the function of Bike,
    itself. Any regular Bike or Mountain Bike can use it. Sorry, guys, the
    Road Bikes aren't offered as of now. As far as I know, the lead acids that
    comes with this type of setup lasts at least 500 hours. That's a lot of
    bike riding. And you will be able to replace the batteries without having
    to replace that expensive plastic container that the Walmart Special uses.
    The batteries will still cost you about 80 bucks. But 500 hours or more,
    that's a lot of Gas and Fumes saved.

  8. "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Pein said:
    Bill said:

    >
    I was thinking about that last night as I went to sleep since it has
    been 108-110 here in California the last few days, think skip spring and
    go right into hot August days. Even the television news crews are
    complaining about the sudden heat wave.
    Here's my idea. Buy cheaper, lower tech solar panels and mount them
    above the rider's head to provide shade from the mid day sun and route
    the excess power into a small battery, NiMH, or Lithium, whatever. Use
    that to power a front hub motor / generator and you could have a bike
    with a few extra pounds and a boost. If you got too hot, easy on a 110
    degree day as I have found out, you have your own shade and probably
    enough electricity to get about 12-14 MPH from sun power alone. That
    would probably only take about 50-100 watts and you can get that from
    bright sunlight even with cheap panels. Make the panels and battery
    quick disconnect and the front wheel changeable so you don't look too
    much like a Fred on more normal days.
    It would work for me since where I ride even the trees are miles apart.
    Bill Baka

    If you look at the advertised performance figures for existing electric
    bikes, you'll see that their engines' power output in watts and their
    achievable speed is far worse than for human engines on bike. So while
    100 watts will get you 12-14 mph on a bicycle on the flat, it'll take
    much more for the same speed with an electric bike.

    Wayne


    That probably means someone should get busy and design an efficient hub
    motor / generator. It does seem like it could be done if it wasn't just
    another *-mart sucker bike.
    Bill Baka

    Already done. There is a 400watt that takes you to 15mph with a decent
    range, battery pack and controller. On a 26in wheel, it even fits your
    mountain bike.

  9. "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Saw my first commercial, battery-powered bicycle yesterday. It entered
    the MUP
    just as I was leaving. I didn't notice at first that it was electric
    because I
    was busy taking in the rider's apparell: military "boonie" hat,
    sweatshirt,
    long trousers, and beat-up, black leather dress shoes.

    Just after I passed this thing I heard a whir-r-r and looked back. The
    guy
    pulled over, dismounted, threw himself onto a bench, and fished a
    cigarette case
    out of a pocket. So I went back for a look at the bike. That's when I
    saw the
    motor mounted on the left side and the large plastic battery box nestled
    between
    rear tire and seat tube.

    I was told it's a WalMart or Sam's Club (I forget which) bike. One chain
    ring +
    seven cogs, for pedaling. Supposedly goes 18 miles on a charge (he
    didn't
    mention the speed), and batteries must be replaced after 100 charges.
    Sounds
    kinda expensive to operate. Couldn't bring myself to ask what the bike
    itself
    costs.

    --
    Michael

    I see a Monague folding MTB with an electric motor locked to a rack at the
    mall all the time. It looks like it wasn't exactly cheap. It appears to
    have two motors, one mounted in each wheel. It looks ungainly and heavy.

    Good for offroad only. When you have two motors that's outside the Federal
    Law and most state laws. You are allowed a single motor of not more than
    750 watts by federal standards with a top speed of 20 mph. Otherwise, it
    falls under the Motorbike, Motorcycle, Moped or 49CC laws.

  10. Quoted message said:
    Dane Buson said:
    Quoted message said:

    What will be your intended use for the xtracycle?

    Grocery shopping, hardware store trips, taking the children out to
    places without dragging a trailer along. Everything I would normally
    use a car for and then some.

    So how is it working out so far for those uses?

    Well, I've only had the opportunity to do a couple store trips and a
    larger grocery store expedition so far. The balance with four full
    grocery bags was far superior to two similar bags in wire baskets
    attached to the rear rack of my old grocery bike. The lower COG really
    helps make it feel just like riding a normal bike, rather than it
    becoming unwieldy to ride.

    I'm dropping by a bike shop tomorrow to pick up a shim for my seatpost.
    This is to attach a stem to my seatpost that I can then use to attach a
    handlebar for my older daughter. I think it should be pretty fun, I
    know she's anxious to ride on it. She's already mentioned it about a
    dozen times. :-)

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    .... when fits of creativity run strong, more than one programmer or writer
    has been known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious floor.
    -- Fred Brooks

  11. Dane Buson said:
    Quoted message said:

    So how is it working out so far for those uses?

    Well, I've only had the opportunity to do a couple store trips and a
    larger grocery store expedition so far.

    How long do you think the payback will be on the
    equipment and all?

  12. Dane Buson said:

    Well, I've only had the opportunity to do a couple store trips and a
    larger grocery store expedition so far.

    Umm... bit confused...did you just get the xtracycle
    only?

    Or did you get the xtracyle AND stoke monkey system
    both?

    If yes on both....what you think payback time will be?

  13. Zoot Katz said:

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:39:12 -0700, Dane Buson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    I just picked my new Xtracycle up Friday. It's ugly as sin (I purposely
    used a frame that had been poorly rattle-canned yellow (not by me)), but
    I'm very happy with my component selection. I'm still fiddling with my
    setup, not that that's so important for a cargo bike. I have a 48 spoke
    rear wheel with the 8" disc brake setup. I went with friction shifting
    for the front triple.

    Considering your talent for destroying gear, it sounds like a sturdy
    bike. The longer chain might be its weakest link.
    I was envisioning one with double top tubes like an old roadster.
    Maybe Kona's Joe or Humuhumuhu. . .

    It's an old heavy Schwinn MTB frame. It seems sturdy, but of course
    we'll see how it stands the test of time. The 8" disc on the rear gives
    a really respectable stopping power, especially when the rear is loaded.

    Quoted message said:

    I know at least five people with Xtracycles. They all rave about
    them and use it more than they thought they would when they bought
    it. Eileen uses hers for towing a kitchen and her daughter. Andy
    uses his for hauling around sound gear and vinyl records. Andy's has
    a hub motor. Maybe two. It's hard to see with the bike loaded.

    I didn't really have much time to muck with it over the weekend, but I
    do expect to get a lot of use out of it. I've already started pricing
    out all the accessories for it (wide loaders, long loaders, TrayBien,
    etc.) Still, my wife is fairly tolerant, I suppose it's cheaper than
    smoking, a car upgrade fetish, or a mistress.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I doubt I'll ever get the Stokemonkey, but it's an interesting addition.
    Keep in mind it's an adjunct to your pedaling. It's not possible to
    stop pedaling and get any power out of the Stokemonkey.

    That's the feature which is most appealing. Plus its non-destructive
    reversibility. I'm impressed. Were I considering electric for my own
    use it's definitely the most attractive option.

    I could see it being very appealing to my wife. She'd like to use her
    bike to get around more (especially with children), but Seattle isn't
    terribly friendly for the heavily laden indifferent cyclist. If she
    could kick in the StokeMonkey for the larger hills, maybe she'd enjoy it
    more.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    "He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
    -Billy Wilder

  14. Quoted message said:
    Dane Buson said:

    Well, I've only had the opportunity to do a couple store trips and a
    larger grocery store expedition so far.

    Umm... bit confused...did you just get the xtracycle
    only?

    Just the Xtracycle. I don't have any plans to pick up the StokeMonkey
    in the forseeable future.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    "Uncle Cosmo ... why do they call this a word processor?"
    "It's simple, Skyler ... you've seen what food processors do to food,
    right?"
    -- MacNelley, "Shoe"

  15. Quoted message said:

    If yes on both....what you think payback time will be?

    BCAA computes the average automobile cost in Vancouver as $6500 per
    year. Say $2600 for a new bicycle, Xtracycle and Stokemonkey.
    Figured like that it would pay for itself in ~5 months.
    --
    zk

  16. Zoot Katz said:

    BCAA computes the average automobile cost in Vancouver as $6500 per
    year. Say $2600 for a new bicycle, Xtracycle and Stokemonkey.
    Figured like that it would pay for itself in ~5 months.

    I see

    But that would be if you stay out of the car COMPLETLY
    for 5 months and only use the equip, right?

    Just trying to figure out the payback scenario here is
    all

  17. Zoot Katz said:

    BCAA computes the average automobile cost in Vancouver as $6500 per
    year.

    Hmm.... sounds kind high but maybe it is $6500

    That's gas cost too, right?

  18. Dane Buson said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's the feature which is most appealing. Plus its non-destructive
    reversibility.

    Can you please explain a bit more above?

  19. Quoted message said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    BCAA computes the average automobile cost in Vancouver as $6500 per
    year. Say $2600 for a new bicycle, Xtracycle and Stokemonkey.
    Figured like that it would pay for itself in ~5 months.

    I see

    But that would be if you stay out of the car COMPLETLY
    for 5 months and only use the equip, right?


    I'm talking about getting rid of the car, the insurance, repair
    bills, fuel costs, maintenance expenses, parking fees, depreciation
    losses, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    Just trying to figure out the payback scenario here is
    all

    The biggest payback is gettirng out of a caged mentality.

    Lose 3500 lbs. overnight. Ride the meme.
    --
    zk

  20. Quoted message said:

    Dane Buson <[email hidden]> didn't write:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's the feature which is most appealing. Plus its non-destructive
    reversibility.

    Can you please explain a bit more above?

    In five minutes you can remove ninety percent of the weight added by
    the motor and batteries. The tandem crank and motor bracket can be
    completely removed if you want use the unit on a different bike.

    The Xtracycle can be un-done and the bicycle returned to its original
    configuration. None of it requires brazing to be assembled.
    --
    zk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.