Electric Bicycle- Any recommendations ???

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected]>, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Does anyone have experience with Electric Bicycles ?
    Problems, what to avoid, which Models & Manufacturers are the Best?
    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. di

    di Guest

    <[email protected]>> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone have experience with Electric Bicycles ?
    > Problems, what to avoid, which Models & Manufacturers are the Best?
    > Thanks

    You need lots of battery power to get any speed and endurance, the more
    battery power you have will require a more powerful motor just to move it
    and you, the bigger motor you have the more battery power you need to power
    it, etc, etc, Get the picture.

    What to avoid? All of them, I had one at one time that my wife wanted, it
    would go about 6 mph for maybe 15-20 blocks. Pay the $2.50 for gasoline
    or better yet pedal a real bike.

  3. <[email protected]>> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone have experience with Electric Bicycles ?
    > Problems, what to avoid, which Models & Manufacturers are the Best?
    > Thanks

    I had one a long time ago, it was pretty much junk. I bought it at a estate
    sale real cheap.
    It didn't have enough power to get up small hills, and apparently pedaling
    wasn't a consideration either, as the gearing was so high that you could
    barely pedal the thing standing up on the pedals. Plus it wa spretty heavy
    with the big battery in it too. I think it was just a ripoff to get money
    out of a victim.

    Today, they are using nicad or even extremely expensive lithium-ion battery
    packs on some models. But I am still very suspicious of them.
    But a guy I know went to the UK a while back, and he observed a couple of
    older gentlemen crusing up a steep hill on electric bikes, and they were
    doing pretty good, so maybe if you could find one of them it might work OK.
    The big problem is battery life, distance traveled before recharging, and
    recharge time. Also the bike has to be pedalable too, if you can't pedal it,
    then you will have problems when (not if) the battery runs down. If you can
    find a model that meets those needs for your intended purpose, then you
    might have something there.
    Unfortunately, so far as I can tell, the electric bikes still have a ways to
    go to be practical for me and my uses.
    Heck even the electric steeet legal scooters and motorcycles still fall
    short for my needs too. But every now and then I take a look to see how they
    are coming along and they are closing the gap more each year or so.

  4. Sundance

    Sundance Guest

  5. Giant Lafree Twist (now known as Twist), not a toy and certainly not
    cheap. A quality utility bike with powered assist, widely recomended in
    EU.

    A good place to start:

    <\url: http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html>

    regards,
    Daren

  6. David J Bush

    David J Bush Guest

    On 18 Jul 2005 09:20:16 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    |A good place to start:
    |
    |<\url: http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html>

    Thanks! I will wait for fuel cell technology to mature.