Electric Bikes.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by BringYouToLife, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. I haven't seen any good electric road bikes, it seems like battery
    technology has reached a point where a good electric road bike would
    be a practical means of transportation, they sell bikes that have 20
    mile range at 17mph, but add your cycling power to that, and just
    conserve your electric power to maintain high gear speeds, it would
    seem like you could have a very significant range with little tiring
    with these new batteries.
    I spend so much on gas when I drive, and somedays you are just too
    tired to ride your bike to work, but with that little edge from a
    electric motor, I think it would be very practical for almost anyone.

    And plus, we don't have to start a nuclear war over oil, won't cause
    hurricanes and global warming, etc.

    P.S In my city this week, some guy was exonerated for hitting a
    biker, because the biker was there to tell his side of the story,
    driver said they turned into the path of their vehicle. Wonderful.
    You hit a biker , you go to jail, I see so many people who give
    absolutely no room to bikers, especially when they are turning in and
    out of places, they all assume that since they're in a big car, they
    have the right of way. This is why nearly nobody rides their bikes on
    the roads with the cars. If we would just lobby the states and
    government to made the roads a mere 12 inches wider, a bike lane on
    all roads, they could do that for mininal cost, and it would be sooo
    much easier to ride, but nearly all the connecting roads are barely
    big enough for 2 cars, and now we got these goddamn 6 foot wide
    hummers stalking everyone, hogging road width.

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "BringYouToLife" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I haven't seen any good electric road bikes, it seems like battery
    > technology has reached a point where a good electric road bike would
    > be a practical means of transportation, they sell bikes that have 20
    > mile range at 17mph, but add your cycling power to that, and just
    > conserve your electric power to maintain high gear speeds, it would
    > seem like you could have a very significant range with little tiring
    > with these new batteries.
    > I spend so much on gas when I drive, and somedays you are just too
    > tired to ride your bike to work, but with that little edge from a
    > electric motor, I think it would be very practical for almost anyone.

    I've testridden a couple. A Giant LaFree, and a Huffy (somethingorother soon
    taken off the market).
    My take on it is that the motor and battery and gearing provide enough power
    to overcome the extra weight of the motor and battery and gearing.
    The LaFree control system requires you to pedal along with the motor. And it
    may boost a couple of mph. But not much.
    The Huffy could be ridden with only the motor, but the rest of it was sooo
    crappy as to be a nonstarter.

    You need a groundfloor parking space for it. These things weigh 70+lbs, so
    carrying it upstairs in an apartment is troublesome, as would be putting it
    on a bike rack if you wanted to take it anywhere.
    Kickstand techology needs to be worked on. The Giant wasn't too bad, but the
    Huffy would fall over at the slightest touch. CoG was way off, and the stand
    couldn't handle it.

    Elec bikes seem to be a solution in search of a problem. Too slow to be an
    advantage, too heavy to be a *bicycle*, range limited (try pedalling that
    70lb lump home when the batteries are low).

    Take a 1/2 step up, and get a regular moped, or little motorcycle. Faster
    and good on gas.

    > And plus, we don't have to start a nuclear war over oil, won't cause
    > hurricanes and global warming, etc.

    Oh, and electricity ain't free. You're not paying to move a 3,000lb lump,
    but you are paying.

    Pete

  3. cheg

    cheg Guest

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Pete wrote:

    > Elec bikes seem to be a solution in search of a problem. Too slow to
    > be an advantage, too heavy to be a *bicycle*, range limited (try
    > pedalling that 70lb lump home when the batteries are low).
    >
    > Take a 1/2 step up, and get a regular moped, or little motorcycle.
    > Faster and good on gas.

    How about an electric one? I've ridden the Oxygen, and I was very impressed.
    Domino's Pizza is using them for delivery in Europe, and will be in the US soon
    too:

    http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=757

    >> And plus, we don't have to start a nuclear war over oil, won't cause
    >> hurricanes and global warming, etc.

    > Oh, and electricity ain't free. You're not paying to move a 3,000lb
    > lump, but you are paying.

    Electricity is a whole lot cheaper than gasoline, especially if you "fill up"
    overnight when the rates are cheaper. Electric vehicles require far less
    maintenance, and can be parked indoors because there are no gas fumes, fire
    hazard, or oily mess.

    Matt O.

  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote

    > How about an electric one? I've ridden the Oxygen, and I was very

    impressed.
    > Domino's Pizza is using them for delivery in Europe, and will be in the US

    soon
    > too:
    >
    > http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=757

    Sounds interesting. What's the range and speed of these things? Oxygen
    doesn't seem to have any specs on their website.

    Pete

  6. Mitch Haley

    Mitch Haley Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > How about an electric one? I've ridden the Oxygen, and I was very impressed.
    > Domino's Pizza is using them for delivery in Europe, and will be in the US soon
    > too:
    >
    > http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=757

    Well, that looks as useful as a Honda Spree, which is better than
    some e-bikes.

    I was thinking about how neat it would be to build a brushless
    motor/generator into the front hub. Even a relatively lightweight
    50 watt/hr battery could give a noticeable boost to your commuting
    speed, and the motor would double as a generator for your headlight
    if the battery ran down. Getting decent efficiency from the motor
    at 200-400rpm might be a challenge.
    Mitch.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Pete wrote:

    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    >> How about an electric one? I've ridden the Oxygen, and I was very
    >> impressed. Domino's Pizza is using them for delivery in Europe, and
    >> will be in the US soon too:
    >>
    >> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=757

    > Sounds interesting. What's the range and speed of these things? Oxygen
    > doesn't seem to have any specs on their website.

    As the article mentions, they go about 30 MPH, for 50-60 miles or so. IIRC they
    have a few different battery packages available, performance varying slightly
    with cost.

    Matt O.

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Pete wrote:
    >
    > > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >

    > >> How about an electric one? I've ridden the Oxygen, and I was very
    > >> impressed. Domino's Pizza is using them for delivery in Europe, and
    > >> will be in the US soon too:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=757

    > > Sounds interesting. What's the range and speed of these things? Oxygen
    > > doesn't seem to have any specs on their website.

    > As the article mentions, they go about 30 MPH, for 50-60 miles or so.

    IIRC they
    > have a few different battery packages available, performance varying

    slightly
    > with cost.

    Ah, I missed that. Thanks

    Pete