Electric Bikes

I had responded to a thread like this in another board although I understand that it is for ordinary road biking. But for training? I don't think a motorbike is appropriate for that. And what is the use of the electric bike in relation to the training? How can the electricity help in building up the muscles and strength of your legs? Pardon me but I guess this thread is out of line. Better yet, a stationary bike would be more appropriate for training purposes.

I would say no. An electric bike is quite expensive and not really all that idea for training, plus it seems to be a little bit of a cheat in terms of training.

I'd say get a normal bike and start training on that.

How the hell are you going to train on one of those. You aren't pedaling at all. You aren't training for anything. The tour de france doens't have a e bike division.

Sure they are.

Un-plug the battery from the motor.

Then pedal that heavy thing up every hill in the county, doing hill repeat sprint climbs on every third hill.

Great training.

Reactions: BobCochran
CAMPYBOB said:
Sure they are.

Then pedal that heavy thing up every hill in the county, doing hill repeat sprint climbs on every third hill.

Great training.
You gave me a laugh with that trick. In fairness to you, yes, I understand that a motorbike is not that easy to pedal unlike the ordinary bike because the wheels are attached to the motor (or engine) that somehow has friction (as opposed to engine brake). Now, you said great training. And if it is the hard pedalling that you wanted then why not have a passenger with you when you pedal your motorbike up the hill? And if your passenger would be me, I'm sure you cannot go uphill anymore.

CAMPYBOB said:
Sure they are.

Great training.
I think I would spend the money on bike upgrades and a weighted vest then a e bike. Most e bike that I come across doesn't have pedals. If they do have them I don't think they can take that much stress. They look flimsy as hell. China E bikes do anyways.

An e bike for me is for leisurely trip and not for training. I would train using the ordinary bike but not an e bike regardless if it comes with a pedal or not.

That won't help you with training really. I wish it would haha. But yeah, those things are expensive in the first place.

CAMPYBOB said:
Sure they are.

Great training.
Couldn't you do the same thing but with a bag full of bricks on your back?

Seems like a more cost effective solution. Got to think of these things in this financial climate ;)

Depends on the bike but all e bikes are going to be pretty heavy due to the battery and motor in addition to normal components. Prodeco Outlaw 62 pounds / try pedaling that up a steep hill - that is a workout.

Why would you train using an electric bike when you can actually use the ordinary ones. In terms of cost efficiency, I would go for ordinary bikes. If you are talking about training on balancing, steering and running a bike, yes, it can. However, I suggest, you use an ordinary one first before using an e-bike.
E-bike as we know, there are electrical components installed in it. Once you practiced and your bike fell, some components might be faulty. You'll be spending much money to fix your e-bike.

I would say not because An e bike for me is for leisurely trip and not for training. I would train using the ordinary bike but not an e bike regardless if it comes with a pedal or not.That won't help you with training really. I wish it would haha. But yeah, those things are expensive in the first place.

E-bike for training? what kind of training? I think it's not even worth to buy electric bike. You should buy the normal bike or motorcycle. If you're going to use bike for training or exercise it's not necessary to use the electric bike unless you're plan is to push the electric bike.

I understand that you must have an electric bike at home or something of that nature and you want to use that to train, but the reality of the matter is that you can't achieve huge success with such method for it won't give you the ability to develop your muscles and your agility unlike when you use the normal bike on the road. So, that's a no for me and I hope you find reasons with me at the end.

Depends on what kind of an ebike you're using, there are ebikes which are dorectly powered electrically, it means it's like a scooter and there are ebikes where you can choose to pedal and when your tired you can use its electrical motor for propulsion, this is the one you can use to train.

I say just go for the regular bikes for training since they're more effective, really, less expensive (relatively) and you normally want to train outside to get more of a feel of biking on the road.