Electric bikes?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by EricJames, Jun 21, 2017.

1. EricJames

EricJames New Member

Hi guys,
    Can someone share their experience with electric bikes? I am looking into this for a friend with arthritis who says he needs an electric one. I am not sure why.
    He says that he is interested in this one: Cannondale Contro-E Speed. I could have helped him better with a road bike, but I am not much of a help with an electric one. If you can suggest a better model, it would be even better. His budget, I think is flexible.
    Thanks!

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

It looks like its the basic pedelec set-up. Meaning you have to pedal for the motor to engage, and it cuts out at 25 kmh.
    It'll have a couple of different assist levels. Meaning it'll ramp up the power either faster or slower depending on what you choose. There's a torque sensor too, so the more you put in, the more the bike adds. Very intuitive.
    I don't like C-dale's sales pitch. It tries too hard to be cool and youthful. Looking at urban riding as an assault course, something to "win" doesn't Promote safe riding habits.
    Don't like front shocks for road riding. On a bike you still need to remain limber and alert to keep the rear wheel healthy. Caring for the front as well doesn't add much burden.
    Anyhow; ebikes can be nice. Its like riding with a built-in tailwind.
    I'd like one to offset the effects of the winter tires.

EricJames likes this.
  3. EricJames

EricJames New Member

Thanks @dabac. That was really helpful. That pedelec setup is fine with him.
    I think that as long as the product they offer is good, we shouldn't care too much about how their sales team act. But yes, bicycle companies should be promoting safe riding habits.
    So do you think this Cannondale is a decent bike? Or any better suggestions?

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

All the listed parts are decent parts.
    C-dale is a known manufacturer.
    Technically, this should make a decent bike.
    Which doesn't Always translate into a decent ride for any rider.

I wouldn't buy it, since it doesn't fit my preferences. And I think C-dale overcharges a bit on the strength of their name.
    But there isn't much on it to worry about. Preferences, not judgement.
    Headshock fork is a bit proprietary. Not a problem unless you plan to tinker with it.

The urban riding I do is commuting. For that, I think of my bike more as a tool than a toy.
    So there's my gripe with the pitch.
    I was thinking that if your friend is limited arthritis, playfulness might not be a priority feature of a bike.

Here's one you should be able to get, which strikes me as a bit more "sensible".https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Scott-E-Sub-Tour-2017