Electric carving knife

Anthony

Guest
Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

On Sun 19 Mar 2006 11:20:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Anthony?

> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

My parents bought me a Hamilton Beach electric knife backin the 1960s and I
still use it. I've never used it on a daily basis, but I find it
indispensable for certain slicing/carving jobs. For example, I never roast a
whole turkey, just a bone-in breast. I removed the breast sections from the
bone entirely, then slice them entirely with the electric knife. Likewise,
great for slicing ham and beef roasts. Also very useful for slicing homemade
breads, making neat uniform slices that are never torn.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> My parents bought me a Hamilton Beach electric knife backin the 1960s and
> still use it. I've never used it on a daily basis, but I find it
> indispensable for certain slicing/carving jobs. For example, I never
> roast a
> whole turkey, just a bone-in breast. I removed the breast sections from
> the
> bone entirely, then slice them entirely with the electric knife.
> Likewise,
> great for slicing ham and beef roasts. Also very useful for slicing
> homemade
> breads, making neat uniform slices that are never torn.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

I bought a Cuisinart for DH to slice my homemade bread, but he still uses an
old dull knife, sawing away. It has a nice knife for meats, too, but he
doesn't use it for that either. Sometimes I INSIST that he use it! (not
often, though)
You just can't teach an old-er dog new tricks!
Dee Dee

Anthony wrote:
> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
somewhere around $9.00.

<no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

Pennyaline wrote:

> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
> Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
> somewhere around $9.00.

We were given one for a wedding present 33 years ago. I have used it once or
twice. I can't think of a more useless gadget when I already have knives that
I use for other things.

Pennyaline wrote:

> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
> Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
> somewhere around $9.00.

Perhaps $9 decades ago translates to a rather larger number today.

On Sun 19 Mar 2006 06:21:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Anthony?

> Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
>> Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
>> somewhere around $9.00.
>>

> Perhaps $9 decades ago translates to a rather larger number today.

You can currently buy a Hamilton Beach electric knife, including carving
fork, for $19.95 at Linens 'n Things.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Anthony wrote:
>> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
>> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
>> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
>> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
>> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
>> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
>> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
>> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my Hamilton
> Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me somewhere
> around $9.00.
>
> <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

$10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
$9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today

$10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
$10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

My Cuisinart electric knife with 2 blades cost $52 (Amazon).
I don't think that's a bad price. I don't think it's ordinary either.
Maybe I could've bought it in 1960 for the same price, but it would be
almost 50 years old!
Even though it kept on tickin'
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > Anthony wrote:
> >> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
> >> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
> >> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
> >> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
> >> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
> >> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
> >> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
> >> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

> > Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my Hamilton
> > Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me somewhere
> > around $9.00.
> >
> > <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

> $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
> $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
>
> $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
> $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today
>
> My Cuisinart electric knife with 2 blades cost $52 (Amazon).
> I don't think that's a bad price. I don't think it's ordinary either.
> Maybe I could've bought it in 1960 for the same price, but it would be
> almost 50 years old!
> Even though it kept on tickin'

Those electric knives are great if you're a crafts person who needs to
slice chunks of styrofoam, for food they're totally useless.

Sheldon

Anthony wrote:
> went to Bed Bath and Beyond
> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50.

How was the surface of the slices?

--Blair

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
> > went to Bed Bath and Beyond
> > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50.

> How was the surface of the slices?
>
> --Blair

Somehow I got drafted into carving the turkey at my nephew's house at
Christmas 2 years ago and used an electric knife. Made quick, easy
work of that job. The slices were nice and even, not jagged or torn.
We also had one at home when I was a kid. First appeared on the market
in the '60's if I'm not mistaken and were popular Christmas gifts at
one time.

And like Sheldon said, those electric carving knives are great for
craft projects. Slices through foam padding with the greatest of ease.

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> Anthony wrote:
>>> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
>>> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
>>> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
>>> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
>>> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
>>> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
>>> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
>>> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

>> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my Hamilton
>> Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me somewhere
>> around $9.00.
>>
>> <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

> $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
> $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
>
> $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
> $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

You're giving me a headache!!

Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores
and see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find
that the knife now averages at $20.00.

"Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
>> in message news:[email protected]...
>>> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
>>> Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
>>> somewhere around $9.00.
>>>
>>> <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

>> $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
>> $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
>>
>> $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
>> $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

> You're giving me a headache!!
>
> Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores and
> see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find that the
> knife now averages at $20.00.

May be meaningless to you --
A clerk wouldn't give me inflationary prices.
My knife cost me $50 - not $20 - not $9.
I don't need to go to a store -- I research on line.
Penny-wise,
Dee Dee

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
> > went to Bed Bath and Beyond
> > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50.

> How was the surface of the slices?
>
> --Blair

Perfectly smooth. I was quite surprised at how well it worked. It
also has a blade for bread but I haven't tried that, hardly seems worth
it.

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> And like Sheldon said, those electric carving knives are great for
> craft projects. Slices through foam padding with the greatest of ease.

Just like Sheldon to use his kitchen equipment in the garage. Like
anyone can tell the difference between his cooking and the old parts
form a repacked bearing.

--Blair

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> in message news:[email protected]...

>>> $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
>>> $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
>>>
>>> $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
>>> $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

>> You're giving me a headache!!
>>
>> Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores and
>> see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find that the
>> knife now averages at $20.00.

> May be meaningless to you --
> A clerk wouldn't give me inflationary prices.
> My knife cost me $50 - not $20 - not $9.
> I don't need to go to a store -- I research on line.
> Penny-wise,
> Dee Dee

If you say so ;)

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:59:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
Pennyaline?

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]>
>> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>>> You're giving me a headache!!
>>>
>>> Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores
>>> and see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find
>>> that the knife now averages at $20.00.

>> May be meaningless to you --
>> A clerk wouldn't give me inflationary prices.
>> My knife cost me $50 - not $20 - not $9.
>> I don't need to go to a store -- I research on line.
>> Penny-wise,
>> Dee Dee

> If you say so ;)

Yes, Dee, it's true that you can buy a Hamilton Beach electric knife for
around $20.00. I'm sure your Cuisinart knife is very nice, but I probably
wouldn't spend that much for one. I, too, have a Hamilton Beach knife that
my parents gave me 30 years ago, and it still works just fine.

If I were going to buy a new knife to replace the one I have, I would
probably buy a rechargable cordless model. I find the cord is always in
the way.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o

BIOYA

Judge: "Mrs. Jones, why did you stab your husband 135 times?"

Mrs. Jones: "Your honor, I couldn't turn off the electric knife."

news:[email protected]...