Electric carving knife

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Anthony, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
    mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
    I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
    complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
    the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
    ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
    much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

    Tags:

  2. On Sun 19 Mar 2006 11:20:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Anthony?

    > Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
    > mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
    > I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
    > complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
    > the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
    > ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
    > much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

    My parents bought me a Hamilton Beach electric knife backin the 1960s and I
    still use it. I've never used it on a daily basis, but I find it
    indispensable for certain slicing/carving jobs. For example, I never roast a
    whole turkey, just a bone-in breast. I removed the breast sections from the
    bone entirely, then slice them entirely with the electric knife. Likewise,
    great for slicing ham and beef roasts. Also very useful for slicing homemade
    breads, making neat uniform slices that are never torn.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

    > My parents bought me a Hamilton Beach electric knife backin the 1960s and
    > still use it. I've never used it on a daily basis, but I find it
    > indispensable for certain slicing/carving jobs. For example, I never
    > roast a
    > whole turkey, just a bone-in breast. I removed the breast sections from
    > the
    > bone entirely, then slice them entirely with the electric knife.
    > Likewise,
    > great for slicing ham and beef roasts. Also very useful for slicing
    > homemade
    > breads, making neat uniform slices that are never torn.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    I bought a Cuisinart for DH to slice my homemade bread, but he still uses an
    old dull knife, sawing away. It has a nice knife for meats, too, but he
    doesn't use it for that either. Sometimes I INSIST that he use it! (not
    often, though)
    You just can't teach an old-er dog new tricks!
    Dee Dee

  4. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    Anthony wrote:
    > Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
    > mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
    > I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
    > complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
    > the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
    > ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
    > much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

    Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
    Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
    somewhere around $9.00.

    <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Pennyaline wrote:

    > Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
    > Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
    > somewhere around $9.00.

    We were given one for a wedding present 33 years ago. I have used it once or
    twice. I can't think of a more useless gadget when I already have knives that
    I use for other things.

  6. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Pennyaline wrote:

    > Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
    > Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
    > somewhere around $9.00.

    Perhaps $9 decades ago translates to a rather larger number today.

  7. On Sun 19 Mar 2006 06:21:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Anthony?

    > Pennyaline wrote:
    >
    >> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
    >> Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
    >> somewhere around $9.00.
    >>

    > Perhaps $9 decades ago translates to a rather larger number today.

    You can currently buy a Hamilton Beach electric knife, including carving
    fork, for $19.95 at Linens 'n Things.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Anthony wrote:
    >> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
    >> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
    >> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    >> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
    >> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
    >> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
    >> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
    >> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

    > Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my Hamilton
    > Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me somewhere
    > around $9.00.
    >
    > <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

    $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
    $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today

    $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
    $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

    My Cuisinart electric knife with 2 blades cost $52 (Amazon).
    I don't think that's a bad price. I don't think it's ordinary either.
    Maybe I could've bought it in 1960 for the same price, but it would be
    almost 50 years old!
    Even though it kept on tickin'
    Dee Dee

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > > Anthony wrote:
    > >> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
    > >> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
    > >> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    > >> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
    > >> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
    > >> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
    > >> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
    > >> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

    > > Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my Hamilton
    > > Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me somewhere
    > > around $9.00.
    > >
    > > <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

    > $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
    > $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
    >
    > $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
    > $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today
    >
    > My Cuisinart electric knife with 2 blades cost $52 (Amazon).
    > I don't think that's a bad price. I don't think it's ordinary either.
    > Maybe I could've bought it in 1960 for the same price, but it would be
    > almost 50 years old!
    > Even though it kept on tickin'

    Those electric knives are great if you're a crafts person who needs to
    slice chunks of styrofoam, for food they're totally useless.

    Sheldon

  10. Anthony wrote:
    > went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50.

    How was the surface of the slices?

    --Blair

  11. Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    > Anthony wrote:
    > > went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    > > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50.

    > How was the surface of the slices?
    >
    > --Blair

    Somehow I got drafted into carving the turkey at my nephew's house at
    Christmas 2 years ago and used an electric knife. Made quick, easy
    work of that job. The slices were nice and even, not jagged or torn.
    We also had one at home when I was a kid. First appeared on the market
    in the '60's if I'm not mistaken and were popular Christmas gifts at
    one time.

    And like Sheldon said, those electric carving knives are great for
    craft projects. Slices through foam padding with the greatest of ease.

  12. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Pennyaline" <[email protected]oresaynomore.nudgenudge> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> Anthony wrote:
    >>> Not much for gadgets, I've a food processor which I use mainly to make
    >>> mayonnaise and that's about it. But having acquired a whole smoked ham
    >>> I decided to try an electric carving knife, went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    >>> and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50. The manual made it sound as
    >>> complicated as running a Moon shot, but actually it's quite simple and
    >>> the blades go in the dishwasher. And boy did it make short work of the
    >>> ham, perfectly even slices fairly fell away. I probably won't use it
    >>> much as there's just two of us, but for a big slicing job it's the nuts!

    >> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my Hamilton
    >> Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me somewhere
    >> around $9.00.
    >>
    >> <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

    > $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
    > $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
    >
    > $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
    > $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

    You're giving me a headache!!

    Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores
    and see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find
    that the knife now averages at $20.00.

  13. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> in message news:[email protected]
    >>> Too bad you spent so much for such an ordinary item. I've had my
    >>> Hamilton Beach for decades with never a grumble, and it only cost me
    >>> somewhere around $9.00.
    >>>
    >>> <no, not around $10.00... it was around $9.00!>

    >> $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
    >> $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
    >>
    >> $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
    >> $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

    > You're giving me a headache!!
    >
    > Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores and
    > see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find that the
    > knife now averages at $20.00.

    May be meaningless to you --
    A clerk wouldn't give me inflationary prices.
    My knife cost me $50 - not $20 - not $9.
    I don't need to go to a store -- I research on line.
    Penny-wise,
    Dee Dee

  14. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    > Anthony wrote:
    > > went to Bed Bath and Beyond
    > > and bought a Cuisinart job for about $50.

    > How was the surface of the slices?
    >
    > --Blair

    Perfectly smooth. I was quite surprised at how well it worked. It
    also has a blade for bread but I haven't tried that, hardly seems worth
    it.

  15. itsjoannotjoann wrote:
    > And like Sheldon said, those electric carving knives are great for
    > craft projects. Slices through foam padding with the greatest of ease.

    Just like Sheldon to use his kitchen equipment in the garage. Like
    anyone can tell the difference between his cooking and the old parts
    form a repacked bearing.

    --Blair

  16. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> Dee Randall wrote:
    >>> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> in message news:[email protected]

    >>> $10 in 1960 is inflated to $63 today.
    >>> $9 in 1960 is inflated to $57 today
    >>>
    >>> $10 in 1970 is inflated to $50 today
    >>> $10 in 1980 is inflated to $25 today

    >> You're giving me a headache!!
    >>
    >> Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores and
    >> see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find that the
    >> knife now averages at $20.00.

    > May be meaningless to you --
    > A clerk wouldn't give me inflationary prices.
    > My knife cost me $50 - not $20 - not $9.
    > I don't need to go to a store -- I research on line.
    > Penny-wise,
    > Dee Dee

    If you say so ;)

  17. On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:59:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    Pennyaline?

    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >> "Pennyaline" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    >>> You're giving me a headache!!
    >>>
    >>> Rather than quote meaningless inflationary estimates, go to the stores
    >>> and see what the same item actually costs now. If you do, you'll find
    >>> that the knife now averages at $20.00.

    >> May be meaningless to you --
    >> A clerk wouldn't give me inflationary prices.
    >> My knife cost me $50 - not $20 - not $9.
    >> I don't need to go to a store -- I research on line.
    >> Penny-wise,
    >> Dee Dee

    > If you say so ;)

    Yes, Dee, it's true that you can buy a Hamilton Beach electric knife for
    around $20.00. I'm sure your Cuisinart knife is very nice, but I probably
    wouldn't spend that much for one. I, too, have a Hamilton Beach knife that
    my parents gave me 30 years ago, and it still works just fine.

    If I were going to buy a new knife to replace the one I have, I would
    probably buy a rechargable cordless model. I find the cord is always in
    the way.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    BIOYA

  18. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    Judge: "Mrs. Jones, why did you stab your husband 135 times?"

    Mrs. Jones: "Your honor, I couldn't turn off the electric knife."

    news:[email protected]