Electric Commuter?

jrschultz

Jan 6, 2012
I'm contemplating putting an electric kit on my Trek 4500 for commuting purposes.

Here's an example of a website selling such kits:http://www.ampedbikes.com/
$475 for a complete SLA kit isn't bad.

Maybe I would ride my bike more if it was electric. This little snipit I found on an electric bike website makes sense:

[SIZE= 14px]"Conventional push bike will keep you fitter is merely conventional wisdom. Research has shown that half of conventional bikes are used once or twice a week and 1/3 are being used once a fortnight or even less. By contrast, a recent survey of electric bicycle owners reveals that 1/3 ride their bike at least once a day and 81% use the bike at least once a week. The figures confirm our experience that an electric bike typically gets used at least twice as often as a normal push bike.[/SIZE] [SIZE= 14px]Because cycling an eZeebike is so much more enjoyable in and relief the stress needed in hilly country, against strong winds and while carrying heavy loads, eZeebike riders tend to frequent make use of them. More light exercise as on an eZeebike has been proven to be greatly beneficial to health."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]I'm on the fense about just riding my bike the way it is or converting it. Does anybody here have experience with electric bikes or electric converted bikes? [/SIZE]

Originally Posted by jrschultz .
Maybe I would ride my bike more if it was electric.
Maybe you would.... maybe not.

I've never owned an electric or gasoline powered bicycle myself. But I can't imagine riding any more [or less] because of the power asst. I love cycling and look forward to days with suitable weather for riding. And some days... I ride even when the weather isn't as suitable as I'd like. But it wasn't always like that.

I know when I returned to cycling, I had gained some weight, and was having foot problems that made walking nearly impossible. Some days... the idea of sweating and getting breathless and tired... just didn't appeal to me. But I'd do it anyway.

It didn't take long at all... until I found myself enjoying the challenge of riding up the hill I had originally had to stop on. Then I went on to more hills and greater distances. Then those hills weren't challenges at all anymore. And I looked for new, harder, and longer routes.

You don't have to be slim or in tip-top shape to enjoy cycling. If your older or have health concerns check with your doctor before starting a cycling habit (I did). Then the next step in just force yourself to ride that first two miles or first 10 minutes each day. Before you know it... you'll be looking for ways to get out of other things... just so you can ride your bike.

Nice point. Currently I ride my bike to work during the months of late March through October about 3 times a week. Maybe I should develop a greater love for cycling rather than spend money on an electric kit. My problem is that I love having a new project to work on. When I brought up the electric bike idea to my wife she said, "Oh, is this what you're into now." We'll see I guess. In a perfect world I'd have a carbon fiber normal pedal bike commuter and a blazing fast 72 volt electric bike that goes 45mph. I tell my wife at least I'm into spending money on bikes instead of cars, boats, snowmobiles, or 4-wheelers.

Originally Posted by jrschultz .

...Currently I ride my bike to work during the months of late March through October about 3 times a week. ........My problem is that I love having a new project to work on.
Glad you're riding... apparently you already enjoy the cycling enough to keep coming back.

I love having a project in the works myself. I like having something that can consume my idle thoughts as well as my idle hands. Yesterday, after a short ride in high winds, I realized it would be perfect weather to wash my bicycle. I thought.... the wind would blow dry any exposed wet parts. I like to keep my bike clean, shinny, and like new.

So I setup the work stand in the back yard and gathered the buckets, brushes, cloths and so on. I also dragged my old back-up bicycle out of the shed for a good dust removal and shrubbing. My old bike is a 1974 Raleigh Capri. While cleaning that old road bike I decided a polishing wheel for my grinder would allow me to bring the old aluminum back to its original luster.

I mentioned to my wife later... I am thinking about finding the old bike a new home... or getting it powder coated. I also hinted that I would like to find a mid-sixty's Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Or maybe... an early 90's Trek or Cannondale. You see where this is going.

There are so many aspects to cycling. Charts, numbers, stats, gear, clothing, tools, more bicycles... even bicycle art. There are bicycle books to read, and even a few bicycle DVD's to watch in the off season months. Thankfully... we can be cyclist... and bicycle hobbyist at the same time.

I have appreciated your incite and stories. I talked over the idea with myself a number of times over the past few days. For the time being I'm not going to buy an electric kit. I'm going to enjoy riding the pure way. Perhaps I'll buy another bike project of a different sort. I've always wanted an adult trike for some odd reason. I'm 30, and my wife says they are for old people. I've always liked them. Maybe I'll see about finding an older project on craigslist or something.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. I've noticed a few folks around my area have installed gas powered engines to their bikes, while they're a bit noisy they seem to do the job. Cycling is enjoyable but can be tiring. We're not all in top form every single day of our lives and having a bit of help won't hurt. You may have a long, difficult day at work and it would be nice to ride back home in a manner that is less tiring. So if you wish to install the electric kit, go ahead.

It will be suitable for long journeys. When you get tired, you switch to electric mode. There a many conversion kits sold online lately. I am planning to buy one from eBay. They range from $200 to $700.

This thread gives me an idea. I have this firm plan of buying an e-bike so I could bike again without abusing my legs. But the risk I would face in an e-bike is the warranty. There is no repair shop and their only recourse is to replace the battery. What if the engine itself goes kaput? Now, this electric kit looks better. I would buy a mountain bike that I want and then attach and electric kit. And for $200 to $700, I guess that's an affordable cost to me.

I have thought getting a one of these electric commuters since they are quite cheap nowadays although I prefer that I get some exercise at the same time when I commute.

There are a lot of electric conversion kits nowadays. You can convert your bike to an electric one if you usually travel for long distances. You only need to recharge your bike and get going. The kits vary from $200 to $500 when you buy them online. You can also get it from your local store or order it from other stores not near you.