Electric Hub Motors ... ???

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by vja4Him, Nov 8, 2008.

1. vja4Him

vja4Him New Member

I'm really a dummy when it comes to anything mechanical or electrical! If I understand correctly, if I buy the electric hub motor for my Electra Townie, I will no longer have the gears that came with my bicycle available for pedaling?

I need to keep the gears that came with my bicycle, so I can still ride my bicycle with no motor as often as possible. I need the exercise and enjoy riding, but also need to commute to various job assignments where there is no bus service, and too far for me to pedal (10-15 miles each way).

I want to get something that will last many years, and allow me to attain speeds of at least a good solid 35mph (45mph would be better, so I could ride on the country roads where the speed limit is between 45-55mph), with my weight, plus groceries (will not be riding fast with groceries!!!, only around 10mph then!).

When I go to work, my weight is around 210, plus my large backpack, which normally weighs around 15 pounds. Groceries will add another 15 pounds, sometimes more ....

So, I need a good quality motor that will easily carry over 250 pounds, reliable, effecient, long lasting ..... I've been checking around on different websites, but am still a bit overwhelmed ... !!! Help please ... !!!! Thanks!
    Edit/Delete Message

Tags:

2. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

No, if you go to goldenmotor.com and get the kit for the front wheel you won't have to change a thing except the front wheel and brake levers.

Bear in mind that if you get the lead acid (standard) battery pack you will have to recharge right away or face massively accelerated battery wear; also the range is very much less when it's cold.

The axle is 14mm in diameter but is milled flat on two sides so it can slip into a 3/8" fork dropout. The fork end must be relatively flat, not recessed, or it will not allow you to properly tighten the 14mm diameter nut unless you file out a washer to fill up the recess. A newer, higher end bike may come with a 9mm axle and the dropouts (the slot in the end where the axle goes in) may be too narrow.