Electric ovens take longer than gas ovens

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancree, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven does to cook a casserole,
    pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true. The reason given is that the gas flame burns up
    the oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the right reason, but having cooked
    both both electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always takes about 10 minutes
    longer. This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-heated. It is particularly
    clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.

    Any experts out there?

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    (Nancree) writes:

    >I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven does to cook a casserole,
    >pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true. The reason given is that the gas flame burns up
    >the oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the right reason, but having cooked
    >both both electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always takes about 10
    >minutes longer. This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-heated. It is
    >particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.
    >
    >Any experts out there?

    You'd need to compare identical model units, but I seriously doubt there'd be any appreciable
    difference, 350F is the same regardless which fuel.

  3. [email protected] (Nancree) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven does to cook a
    > casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true. The reason given is that the gas
    > flame burns up the oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the right reason,
    > but having cooked both both electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always
    > takes about 10 minutes longer. This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-
    > heated. It is particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.
    >
    > Any experts out there?

    No expert, but my experience is the same. However, I still prefer baking with an electric oven.
    After years of baking with gas, I still found that things burned or over-browned easier, and many
    things got much too dry for my taste. The temps were on point and relatively even throughout. I just
    don't like the performance of gas.

    Wayne

  4. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    I'm trying to understand how this could be, in two ovens at the same temperature, and no convection
    in either.

    The only hypotheses I can come up with are:

    - Maybe gas ovens come back to temp faster after the door is opened and cold/room temp food is
    placed inside. I would guess that this would make a difference only on things cooked for a
    relatively short time, or if you opened the oven to check very often.

    - Very few people have electric and gas ovens at home, so the observations are bogus

    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

    Bah! Humbug!

    "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven
    does
    > to cook a casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true.
    The
    > reason given is that the gas flame burns up the oxygen faster, or some
    such
    > theory. I don't know if this is the right reason, but having cooked both
    both
    > electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always takes
    about
    > 10 minutes longer. This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-heated. It
    is
    > particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.
    >
    > Any experts out there?

  5. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancree wrote:
    > I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven does to cook a
    > casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true. The reason given is that the gas
    > flame burns up the oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the right reason,
    > but having cooked both both electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always
    > takes about 10 minutes longer. This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-
    > heated. It is particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.
    >
    > Any experts out there?

    The 10 minutes may be pre-heating time. My electric oven is calibrated a tad too high, so I have to
    adjust my cooking time down about 5 minutes for most recipes. Therefore, I generally don't preheat
    the oven. There is no hard & fast rule, I'm afraid.

    Jill