Electric Signs Along Roadways

sylvia_louise

Mar 27, 2015
I was reading an article today, about how a town is being proactive with the chaos of traffic and the safety concern for the increase of bikers on the road with spring in the air. They are putting up electric sign along the road to remind motorists to watch out. I think, it is a good idea to remind others to drive with caution! What do you all think? Do you think this will help deter others from speeding around you?

sylvia_louise said:
I was reading an article today, about how a town is being proactive with the chaos of traffic and the safety concern for the increase of bikers on the road with spring in the air. They are putting up electric sign along the road to remind motorists to watch out. I think, it is a good idea to remind others to drive with caution! What do you all think? Do you think this will help deter others from speeding around you?
Not if the sign is brighter then your tail light and you are passing it at the same time with somebody behind the wheel who sees it for the first time... :D

I live in San Diego, and we have signs in some places that tell motorists to watch out for cyclists. It's a nice addition that I'm sure most drivers ignore, but it's the thought that counts. Motorists are often reckless around cyclists, and that's a problem that electric signs won't necessarily fix. Still, they're successful if they make even one driver think twice about potential cyclists being on the road with them.

Reactions: sylvia_louise
Volnix said:
Not if the sign is brighter then your tail light and you are passing it at the same time with somebody behind the wheel who sees it for the first time... :D
Oh, true that! You got me there! Lots of scenarios to consider! But hey, it's the thought that counts, right! I would rather see these signs along the road vs shoplifting is a crime, thieves will be arrested. :ph34r:

It's good to see that the city is doing something about awareness. But you can always trust that drivers are to occupied playing with the radio then they are worrying about cyclist. Regardless is there are warning signs, take care on the road. You can't teach stupid.

Motorist don' read anything anymore. All they look for is colors. Red means stop, green means go. That's the mind set of most drivers. "Caution: cyclist crossing", seems a bit too long for the average car driver to read and care about. It's like those signs that say don't drink and drive, but they do it anyways.

That actually sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure how much it will help, but at least it won't hurt anyone trying.