Electric transmission redux

Bill Baka wrote:

> ...If any of you are sci-fi readers and are familiar with
> Heinlein you may 'Grok' this. Read "Stranger in a strange land", great
> book....

The Shipstone power storage device was from "Friday".

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>> ...If any of you are sci-fi readers and are familiar with
>> Heinlein you may 'Grok' this. Read "Stranger in a strange land", great
>> book....

> The Shipstone power storage device was from "Friday".

Nice to find another 'addict'. There are not too many writers coming up
to the level of the masters. I got spoiled on Heinlein and Asimov, not
to mention Clarke, whose name is immortalized by the Clarke belt, which
he predicted for geostationary satellites. Good reading for those non
ridable days. California winters just don't get it.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
richard schumacher <[email protected]> writes:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Increasing the total amount of work I need to do to propel my bicycle
>> from A to B is unlikely to either increase my comfort or provide
>> greater pleasure.

> You're right, there is a better way to do this. Adapt Toyota's system
> of a continuously-variable planetary gear transmission (1), substituting
> it for the chain and derailleur on an electric bike. That way you'd get
> the efficiency benefit of direct mechanical drive, continuously variable
> gear ratio, and on-demand electric motor assist. It wouldn't have to be
> much bigger or heavier than existing internally-geared hubs and would be
> completely sealed.

This is too much complexity.

And inflicting a bicycle with so much complexity would
monsterize it so it's no longer a bicycle.

That bicycles are simple doesn't mean they're underdeveloped
structures begging to have complicated 'improvements' hung on
them; rather, their simplicity is the sublimate of an ongoing
process of refinement. I see bicycles as support mechanisms
for people to /glide/ on ball bearings, with human inputs.
If you want to design an electric motor scooter, that's fine
with me. But it won't be a bicycle.

I figure you've invested a lot of thought in this, and I'm not
chiding you for being a heretic. Well ... maybe I am, a little.
But not in a mean or ill-natured way. I do applaud your creativity.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Bill Baka" wrote: (clip) The only infinitely variable transmission I have
ever seen or read about was a system of varying cones and a drive belt.
Tolerable for a car but not too good for a bike.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe Richard misspoke when he referred to the Toyota system as
"planetary." It is so clever in design that I am compelled to describe it.
The car uses a gearbox with a DIFFERENTIAL setup, and fixed gears. One
shaft onput comes from a gasoline engine, and another comes from an electric
motor/generator. These two inputs are "added" and delivered to an output
shaft that drives the car. A computer controls the two inputs so the output
is continuously variable. Thus, you have system with variable RPM over a
wide range, with no steps.

On a bicycle, the gasoline engine would be replaced by the pedals, but how
would a computer control the pedal RPM and torque?

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 05:17:58 +1100, meb
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

>> >might be less of a penalty than gears/cables/paddlewheels.
>> >
>> >As for racing, imaging storing up that energy while in the pack for
>> >that extra burst at the finish.

>> Dear Meb,
>>
>> Imagine an electric motor big enough to power a bicycle and
>> rider usefully, plus a set of batteries big enough to store
>> the necessary current--you have to haul it all up a big hill
>> to charge it, unless you're cheating by plugging it into an
>> outlet, in which case any motor scooter will run rings
>> around you with far less fuss.
>>
>> Imagine that the motor is about 80% efficient (a fantasy)
>> and that the charging is about 80% efficient (another
>> fantasy)--at least a third of the power is lost even in
>> fantasy.
>>
>> Imagine that you're going downhill in a race under steady
>> heavy braking that's busily charging your battery while
>> everyone else who climbed the hill a lot faster without the
>> heavy electrical equipment zooms even further out of sight
>> downhill--
>>
>> Oh, hell, let's imagine my basset hound's legs aren't four
>> inches long and enter him at the greyhound track.
>>
>> Notice that there are not even vague figures suggested for
>> either charging or engine efficiency, not even vague figures
>> for weight, and not terribly credible figures for how
>> heavily and slowly the rider would have to brake to achieve
>> any useful charging.
>>
>> How long does it take to charge an ordinary car battery with
>> a charger plugged into an outlet? And how far will a car
>> battery will push a bicycle and rider and electric engine up
>> a long climb?
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>Allright, lets consider the weight of some the current production
>regenerative braking systems.
>
>ZAP DX system 25 lbs with 288 W-H lead acid battery, 400W. Replace
>with 36W-H NiMH probably around 11 lbs.
>
>EPS System, 18 lbs with 72 W-H NiMH battery, 250W motor
>
>A couple of units not yet available, but nearing availability:
>Sanyo System, 18 lbs with 72 W-H 250 W motor
>Birkestrand, about 12 lbs with 72 W-H NiMH 500W motor
>
>There are a couple of Chinese systems under development that should put
>out around 300-400 W in the 10 lbs range with small NiMH battery packs.
>

>ZAP with its roller drive would certainly have a lower efficiency than
>the 64% round trip efficiency you propose. The others I’d expect a
>little better.
>
>Certainly viable today in many commuting environs. Would still need
>enhancements in weight and efficiency to make them practical for
>competition. You needn't go with large capacity batteries for a
>regenerative braking system.
>
>For touring, many folks have equipped their cycles with solar
>collectors for charging the batteries, so there is the additional
>practicality.
>
>I’d expect a car battery with 750-800 W-H capacity could propel a
>cyclist 30-45 miles at 15mph on the flats.

Dear Meb,

A much nicer reply than I deserved--thanks. There's no
excuse for my irritability, just an apology.

What's available is an 18-pound system.

Few riders are going to want to haul an extra 18 pounds
around. That's roughly the equivalent of a second bicycle.

Adding solar collector panels is going to add more weight
and wind drag.

The car battery estimate is intriguing, but I think that it
doesn't apply well because it speaks of the flats, while the
regenerative bicycle system relies on rolling very slowly
down hills under steady braking--it won't work in terrain
where 30-45 miles of flat riding is the norm.

Do you know of any tests of such battery-charging bicycle
systems that cut through all our attempts to calculate? That
is, something where the battery bicycle goes up and down
some real hills on a real ride and is compared to the same
rider on normal bicycle?

Carl Fogel

My electrics are commercially available uprights and the terrain is flat enough around here in the metro DC area that there has been insufficient merit in regenerative braking in those upright applications. Most electric dealers scoff at regenerative braking as it nominally extends range only about 10%, but that generalization fails to account niche applications that would have greater benefits.

I will be trying a regenerative system, either a commercially available kit or my own customization soon on some of my recumbents and I am aware of other individuals testing regenerative systems on recumbents. Not aware off hand of a controlled study with of ebikes/pedelics having regenerative braking.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:37:49 +1100, meb
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>My electrics are commercially available uprights and the terrain is
>flat enough around here in the metro DC area that there has been
>insufficient merit in regenerative braking in those upright
>applications. Most electric dealers scoff at regenerative braking as
>it nominally extends range only about 10%, but that generalization
>fails to account niche applications that would have greater benefits.
>

>I will be trying a regenerative system, either a commercially available
>kit or my own customization soon on some of my recumbents and I am aware
>of other individuals testing regenerative systems on recumbents. Not
>aware off hand of a controlled study with of ebikes/pedelics having
>regenerative braking.

Dear Meb,

What does "nominally extends range only about 10%" mean?

Speed, power, some kind of efficiency, actual distance, or
what?

That is, the word "range" suggests that the dealers are
talking about extending my my 15 mile ride to 16.5 miles,
but I can do that just by riding another few minutes, so I
don't think that's what they mean.

Maybe an average power output of 150 watts rising to 160
watts over a roller-coastery ride? Or the same course and
the same total time, but with 10% less effort?

Or a 15 mph average rising to 16.5 mph?

I expect that a study would first have to figure out what
was being measured, and I'm not sure what that would be.

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:37:49 +1100, meb
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>My electrics are commercially available uprights and the terrain is
>flat enough around here in the metro DC area that there has been
>insufficient merit in regenerative braking in those upright
>applications. Most electric dealers scoff at regenerative braking as
>it nominally extends range only about 10%, but that generalization
>fails to account niche applications that would have greater benefits.
>

>I will be trying a regenerative system, either a commercially available
>kit or my own customization soon on some of my recumbents and I am aware
>of other individuals testing regenerative systems on recumbents. Not
>aware off hand of a controlled study with of ebikes/pedelics having
>regenerative braking.

Dear Meb,

What does "nominally extends range only about 10%" mean?

Speed, power, some kind of efficiency, actual distance, or
what?

That is, the word "range" suggests that the dealers are
talking about extending my my 15 mile ride to 16.5 miles,
but I can do that just by riding another few minutes, so I
don't think that's what they mean.

Maybe an average power output of 150 watts rising to 160
watts over a roller-coastery ride? Or the same course and
the same total time, but with 10% less effort?

Or a 15 mph average rising to 16.5 mph?

I expect that a study would first have to figure out what
was being measured, and I'm not sure what that would be.

Carl Fogel

The former. 15 miles vs. 16.5 miles.
16.5 mph vs. 15 mph is more than a 10% increase in power.

The problem with an overly general nominal 10% increase is it fails to factor in differing terrains and the amount of braking done.

-And, in the case of recumbents, the hill issue.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Bill Baka" wrote: (clip) The only infinitely variable transmission I have
> ever seen or read about was a system of varying cones and a drive belt.
> Tolerable for a car but not too good for a bike.(clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I believe Richard misspoke when he referred to the Toyota system as
> "planetary." It is so clever in design that I am compelled to describe it.
> The car uses a gearbox with a DIFFERENTIAL setup, and fixed gears. One
> shaft onput comes from a gasoline engine, and another comes from an electric
> motor/generator. These two inputs are "added" and delivered to an output
> shaft that drives the car. A computer controls the two inputs so the output
> is continuously variable. Thus, you have system with variable RPM over a
> wide range, with no steps.
>
> On a bicycle, the gasoline engine would be replaced by the pedals, but how
> would a computer control the pedal RPM and torque?

I did go to a site that gave a very good breakdown of the drive
mechanism, and it was planetary but with a few twists and a few more
drawbacks. The motor drives the sun gears, the ring gear drives the car
and has the big motor, and the sun gear has a motor to manage the other
two. Both motors are also generators but there are some wasted power
modes that could be improved on. They could do better, since I had a
1965 Renault that got up to 54 MPG and a 1961 Rambler aero-brick that
would get 35 MPG at 65 MPH. I saw that the electric car wanted to run
its engine in the 1,000 to 2,000 RPM range most of the time, and that is
a good point for efficiency. 150 HP at 6,000 RPM doesn't mean squat
except that half the power is going to make the pistons go up and down
really fast. At 1,000 RPM the main loss mechanisms are leakage past the
rings, friction of the rings, and the large amount of heat going out the
tailpipe and radiator. If someone comes up with a good heat recovery
power plant (super Stirling engine?) 100 MPG should not be impossible.
Bill Baka