Electroluminescent helmet for night riding

darksideScott

Jan 15, 2013
Hi all. I am brand new here and I am posting this looking for some feedback on a new product we have in development. Nothing is for sale and I am not spamming. I just sought out a forum of experts to get opinions on a product we are considering moving into production.

I work for a start up company that has created and patented an electroluminescent coating system that makes it possible to paint almost any surface with a light emitting material we call LumiLor. Detail at http://www.lumilor.com/

I wanted feedback on whether cyclists would be interested in a helmet that lights up at night and what features it should have.

Here are 2 video demos of the helmet...

This helmet is being powered by 2 9V batteries. On this prototype 2 9V's will keep it lit for approximately 4-5 hours.

Of course we could also light up whole bikes using batteries or a hub dynamo to provide a more environmentally friendly power source.

Your feedback is appreciated.

We do like Medina.

Yes, the blue is very Tron. White phosphor with tinted top coats can achieve about any color and the phosphors come in blue, green, white and orange. A yellow, white and red symbol that is very easy for the human eye to recognize might make a good pattern for a safety bike helmet. The look of the prototype helmet would probably fit better on the ski slopes.

No we have not done a bike frame yet. The first full vehicle light up will be a motorcycle. We have too many potential applications to try them all at this point.

Bald but hardly famous yet /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

To be honest - I don't quite see the point. Apart from the bling value and wow factor, that is.
Whenever I'm in a car, my experience is that I have enough power in the vehicle's headlamps to see up anyone who's sensible enough to wear something decently reflective.
Assuming that others would experience pretty much the same thing, I'm quite content with reflective stuff instead of actuallly illuminated stuff.

My experience with LEC technology prompts me to think that the light of your helmet wouldn't be any stronger than some decent reflectors.

And if I'm on a bike, approach speed is so low that I've never had any troubles noticing anyone but the most dedicated bike ninjas, which are unlikely to purchase a lighted helmet anyhow.

Originally Posted by dabac .

To be honest - I don't quite see the point. Apart from the bling value and wow factor, that is.
Whenever I'm in a car, my experience is that I have enough power in the vehicle's headlamps to see up anyone who's sensible enough to wear something decently reflective.
Assuming that others would experience pretty much the same thing, I'm quite content with reflective stuff instead of actuallly illuminated stuff.

My experience with LEC technology prompts me to think that the light of your helmet wouldn't be any stronger than some decent reflectors.

And if I'm on a bike, approach speed is so low that I've never had any troubles noticing anyone but the most dedicated bike ninjas, which are unlikely to purchase a lighted helmet anyhow.
Thanks man, all good points. I have a bike but am not what you would call an enthusiast, this is why we are soliciting feedback from hard core users. The helmet as much as anything started as good portable sample to demonstrate the properties of LumiLor. Whether it has potential of its own as a marketable item remain to be seen.

I try not to rely as few battery powered safety devices as possible and use liberal amount of reflective tape.

Though this may be a cool for kids helmets or those looking for a bit of bling.

Originally Posted by darksideScott .

Thanks man, all good points. I have a bike but am not what you would call an enthusiast, this is why we are soliciting feedback from hard core users. The helmet as much as anything started as good portable sample to demonstrate the properties of LumiLor. Whether it has potential of its own as a marketable item remain to be seen.

Marketable - sure, the effect is striking. But I don't think it'd offer that much improvement in terms of pure visibility and safety compared to decent reflectors if you're looking at motorists vs cyclists. I'd be sceptical if you pushed it as a huge safety improvement.
Cyclist vs cyklist, or cyclist vs pedestrian - possibly.
Plenty of cyclists these days that run these button battery powered, tiny, tiny LED (Knog-style) lamps that hasn't got enough output to indicate on a reflector.
For that category, a bigger lighted surface should hold some improvement.

But for styling/ fun, and possible visibility improvement - go for it.

Originally Posted by darksideScott .

We do like Medina.

Bald but hardly famous yet /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif
Other than the taxes and insane population growth, Medina is one of the most beautiful areas in N.E. Ohio. The roads in the area are darned near perfect for cycling.

Maybe a custom chopper/show bike would look good glowing, but none of my old Harleys would be candidates for the treatment! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif A 1947 knucklehead just doesn't fit in with the glow-in-the-dark crowd.

Just a ballpark figure...what is the cost involved to apply the coatings to a helmet or a typical motorcycle frame?

Good luck with your enterprise!