Electrolyte capsules for fall Marathon?

Harold Buck

Guest
Is it recommended to take an electrolyte capsule or two for a
cool-weather Marathon? I'm running Milwaukee this weekend, and it's
along the lake.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it recommended to take an electrolyte capsule or two for a
> cool-weather Marathon? I'm running Milwaukee this weekend, and it's
> along the lake.
>
> --Harold Buck
>

> "I used to rock and roll all night,
> and party every day.
> Then it was every other day. . . ."
> -Homer J. Simpson

If you've been doing it during your training, you should be just fine.
Obviously cut down the amount/frequency compared to warm/hot weather runs.
I usually take 3 Endurolytes per hour during the summer here in Florida. I
have taken 1 every hour during cooler months for long runs with no adverse
effects.

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote

> Is it recommended to take an electrolyte capsule or two for a
> cool-weather Marathon? I'm running Milwaukee this weekend, and it's
> along the lake.
>
> --Harold Buck

If you're replacing the fluid you lose through sweat, you need to replace
sodium. Sodium is the most important by far of the electrolytes. You lose
much less magnesium and calcium, and the body has better stores of these, so
you don't need to replace during a short run (like a marathon). But you
will lose a lot of sodium (a gram per 2lbs of sweat lost).

I'll lose 6 - 7 lbs (3 1/2 quarts) during a cool weather marathon if I don't
drink much.

For every pint (which happens to weigh exactly 1 lb) you drink, you should
take a Succeed capsule, or 3+ endurolytes to replace the sodium. (apx. 1
gram / quart sweated). Endurolytes are very weak, and too heavy on the
stuff you don't really need (Mg & Ca). It's easier to take fewer pills
during a race, imo.

I wrote more about the importance of sodium and H2O in the recent "muscle
cramps -- why" thread, if you want more background.

-- Dan