Electronic Dog Repellent...does it work?

vio765

Jan 20, 2005
Does this device work? Pepper spray requires a steady shot and CAREFUL attention to wind direction. With this devise it seems I would just have to aim and hit the button. nice and simple if i cant outsprint the animal, which is what i normally do. but you know......once in a while they get a little too close. your thoughts?

Electronic Dog Repeller

I don't know if it's the same item but my experience is 1 for 1.

A few years ago my wife and I were riding with another tandem team near Natchez when medium sized dog came running at us. The other stoker calmly removed a similar looking itel from her husband's jersey pocket, pointed it at the dog and gave it a high pitched squeek. The dog stopped, turned and walked away as if he had run into a glass wall.

I honestly don't see how there would be enough time to reach into your back pocket, pull out the can, and spray the dog. I would much rather focus my efforts on eluding or kicking the **** out of the dog.

TrekDedicated said:
I honestly don't see how there would be enough time to reach into your back pocket, pull out the can, and spray the dog. I would much rather focus my efforts on eluding or kicking the **** out of the dog.
It was a dog that recently broke my partner's pelvis, by cunningly deciding to try to run through the front rim.

I wish you'd come over here and 'kick the ****' out of it.

a wise cyclist can tell if a dog is guarding its territory by barking from a distance (or chasing from a distance), looking to play, or "out for blood". i have experienced all the above and have managed to outsprint them all. however, the device linked above has a clip. i will clip the device very close by. so if i need it, no jersey pocket.

IMHO, i would rather put as much distance between myself and every dog, not try to fight them. i believe that since i am trying to keep upright and moving, unclipping to kick a dog is a bad idea. and the dog would have the advantage since it is on its feet.

Years ago(I had toe straps and clips with clip type shoes) a dog came running out to me as I attempted to ride past it.
It jumped up and started humping my leg:mad: . Trying to keep my bike upright while a full sized dog is making love(!) to my left limp wasn't easy. I did thankfully:)
It was a large but loveable Labrador - that coped with it's reluctant lover riding off into the distance - all the while checking my (hairy - may be that was the attraction?) leg for liquid deposits:eek:

Bigbananabike said:
Years ago(I had toe straps and clips with clip type shoes) a dog came running out to me as I attempted to ride past it.
It jumped up and started humping my leg:mad: . Trying to keep my bike upright while a full sized dog is making love(!) to my left limp wasn't easy. I did thankfully:)
It was a large but loveable Labrador - that coped with it's reluctant lover riding off into the distance - all the while checking my (hairy - may be that was the attraction?) leg for liquid deposits:eek:

did the electronic dog repellent work for you?

I had one of those once a long time ago and it worked very well if you could hit the dog with it just between the eyes.
Seriously it did not work but I have not tried one in years and if the technology is no better they are a waste of money

vio765 said:
did the electronic dog repellent work for you?
============================================================
If only.

These days "electronic DOG repellant" to get rid of those sort of lovers is email - as in an email to say the relationship is OVER:eek:

Originally Posted by glockrocks .

Trek come kick my dog so I can kick your ass !/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif

Dude, this thread is 5 years old.......

Originally Posted by Bigbananabike .

It jumped up and started humping my leg/img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif . Trying to keep my bike upright while a full sized dog is making love(!) to my left limp wasn't easy. I did thankfully/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
It was a large but loveable Labrador - that coped with it's reluctant lover riding off into the distance - all the while checking my (hairy - may be that was the attraction?) leg for liquid deposits/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Your left limp?

I bet the dog wasn't limp. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Woof.

The classic full sized frame pump is probably the best option and works very well. I have a very sturdy aluminium one, similar to this:

That's a good 1/2lb of "f**k you, dog" in anyones money.