Electronic gadgets for m bikes...

Banatean

Jul 26, 2003
What experience do you guys have with bike computers,i think it would be nice to know the speed and distance traveled.the problem i don't know if i should shell out the big $$$ or just get a ceapo,any sugestions ?
My other question is about equiping my bike witha radio,but other than cheassy Emerson nobody seem to care about making bike radios...any recomendations .
Thank you

Originally posted by Banatean
What experience do you guys have with bike computers,i think it would be nice to know the speed and distance traveled.the problem i don't know if i should shell out the big $$$ or just get a ceapo,any sugestions ?
My other question is about equiping my bike witha radio,but other than cheassy Emerson nobody seem to care about making bike radios...any recomendations .
Thank you

A cheap bike computer should easily do the trick. I use a Specialized Speedzone comp on both my bikes - picked them up for $20ea at the LBS. They offer all the functions I want - odometer, trip meter, timers & stopwatch, speed (average, current and max), clock etc. If you shell out the big $$, you'll get a few extra features (e.g. cadence) and probably wireless too... ask yourself if these things are important.

I think there's a reason nobody makes bike radios - it's bloody dangerous!!! My recommendation??? If you choose to ride, concentrate on riding. Listening to music will just make it even harder for you to hear cars and other people, and put you at greater risk of an accident.

Originally posted by stubacca
A cheap bike computer should easily do the trick. I use a Specialized Speedzone comp on both my bikes - picked them up for $20ea at the LBS. They offer all the functions I want - odometer, trip meter, timers & stopwatch, speed (average, current and max), clock etc. If you shell out the big $$, you'll get a few extra features (e.g. cadence) and probably wireless too... ask yourself if these things are important.

I think there's a reason nobody makes bike radios - it's bloody dangerous!!! My recommendation??? If you choose to ride, concentrate on riding. Listening to music will just make it even harder for you to hear cars and other people, and put you at greater risk of an accident.

Thank you Stubacca,you are right about the bike radio...i never thought of the danger of having one.Where is this LBS ? (i have seen some on e-BAY,here localy can't find anything cheaper than $40 cnd and up,should the brand matter ?...) that's where you got your Specialized bike computer ?
Again thankx

Originally posted by Banatean
Thank you Stubacca,you are right about the bike radio...i never thought of the danger of having one.Where is this LBS ? (i have seen some on e-BAY,here localy can't find anything cheaper than $40 cnd and up,should the brand matter ?...) that's where you got your Specialized bike computer ?
Again thankx

I'm in Colorado - my LBS is Bicycle Village, just up the road.

You could check out PricePoint, Supergo, or Bike Nashbar.com for cheap sites in the US.

Brand shouldn't matter too much in my experience, so long as you stick with something reputable. I've used Cateye, Sigma Sport and Specialized computers in the past with no issues, so could highly recommend them.

$40 CND is probably about as cheap as I'd expect you'd find a decent computer in a store, not on sale.

Originally posted by Topmounter
My good experiences with bike computers came from Cateye, Avocet and Specialized.

I'm brand new to biking and was wondering if there is any type of bike computer that offers an altimeter so I can see how much I've climbed?