Road Cycling · Public discussion

Electronic shifting system

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 147 posts · 6,370 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 August 2007
Last activity
1 September 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
147
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,370
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 147
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bret said:
    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Bret" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > ONE DOLLAR only pays for the controller.

    Quoted message said:

    For an electronic designer you are really struggling badly with the
    notion of electronics.

    For some jerk who doesn't know anything about it you certainly are mouthy. I
    can buy a half dozen microcontrollers with enough computational power to do
    that job for a buck each. Right now I'm designing a medical probe that's a
    throw away after every patient that will have a controller in it.

    So by all means tell me all about it you nitwit.

    You started out saying that electronics were too expensive for high
    end bike equipment, despite the fact that it's already there in power
    meters, HR monitors and cyclometers. When I called you on that you
    fell back to the red herring of the expense of motors and power
    supplies. Now you've back pedaled to the point where you are arguing
    that electronics are so cheap that they're practically disposable.
    That's basically my argument taken to an extreme. And I'm the mouthy
    jerk who doesn't know WTF I'm talking about?

    My opinion is that the Mavic Zap/Mektronic suffered from poorly
    designed electronics. It had neither motors nor high power
    requirements, so your red herring is a non sequitur. I'm aware of
    Jobst Brandt's criticisms of the mechanical design, but everything I
    heard about it had to do with electronic failures which should be
    easily correctable. One of my teammates back in the 90's was a bike
    shop owner, Mavic dealer and Zap user. I asked him about the failure
    modes and he agreed that it was all about the electronics. Knowing
    that electronics can be made reliable, I see no obstacle to a Mavic
    Zap equivalent being marketed that is both reliable and economical.
    Others have posted in this thread that the mechanics were good when
    the electronics kept working.

    I seem to recall Leonard Zinn mentioning somewhere that there was a guy up in
    Colorado who did work on Zaps back in the mid '90s that got them to work pretty
    reliably. As I recall it was all electronic work too. By the way, do you have a link
    to JB's criticisms or should I JFG it? I'd be interested in what he has to say about
    it.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  2. Howard Kveck said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bret said:
    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Bret" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> ONE DOLLAR only pays for the controller.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > For an electronic designer you are really struggling badly with the
    > notion of electronics.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    For some jerk who doesn't know anything about it you certainly are mouthy. I
    can buy a half dozen microcontrollers with enough computational power to do
    that job for a buck each. Right now I'm designing a medical probe that's a
    throw away after every patient that will have a controller in it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So by all means tell me all about it you nitwit.

    Quoted message said:

    You started out saying that electronics were too expensive for high
    end bike equipment, despite the fact that it's already there in power
    meters, HR monitors and cyclometers. When I called you on that you
    fell back to the red herring of the expense of motors and power
    supplies. Now you've back pedaled to the point where you are arguing
    that electronics are so cheap that they're practically disposable.
    That's basically my argument taken to an extreme. And I'm the mouthy
    jerk who doesn't know WTF I'm talking about?

    Quoted message said:

    My opinion is that the Mavic Zap/Mektronic suffered from poorly
    designed electronics. It had neither motors nor high power
    requirements, so your red herring is a non sequitur. I'm aware of
    Jobst Brandt's criticisms of the mechanical design, but everything I
    heard about it had to do with electronic failures which should be
    easily correctable. One of my teammates back in the 90's was a bike
    shop owner, Mavic dealer and Zap user. I asked him about the failure
    modes and he agreed that it was all about the electronics. Knowing
    that electronics can be made reliable, I see no obstacle to a Mavic
    Zap equivalent being marketed that is both reliable and economical.
    Others have posted in this thread that the mechanics were good when
    the electronics kept working.

    I seem to recall Leonard Zinn mentioning somewhere that there was a guy up in
    Colorado who did work on Zaps back in the mid '90s that got them to work pretty
    reliably. As I recall it was all electronic work too. By the way, do you have a link
    to JB's criticisms or should I JFG it? I'd be interested in what he has to say about
    it.

    I remember that too and know the guy he was talking about, Alan Hills.
    He is (was?) an electronics tech at NCAR that repaired a failed zap
    system that he got cheap. The article was about how to build a light/
    cheap climbing bike on a budget. It's simple really, you just go out
    and find some failed Zap components and repair it. The guy's a friend
    of Zin and also took part in Zin's crank length experiments.

    I also recall reading somewhere that there was a basic flaw in the Zap
    circuitry. A missing pullup or something that could lead to a failure.

    Google Jobst and Zap in Google Groups and I'm sure you'll find it.

    Bret

  3. Bret said:

    I also recall reading somewhere that there was a basic flaw in the Zap
    circuitry. A missing pullup or something that could lead to a failure.

    i've mostly been following along from home, but as a sw person working
    in the embedded space this tweaked my interest. how does one debug
    something like this w/o the schematic? i guess i was thinking the
    internals had some sort of custom asic or something, but maybe i'm over
    thinking it.

    \p
    ---
    Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. --- Linus Torvalds

  4. d p chang said:
    Bret said:

    I also recall reading somewhere that there was a basic flaw in the Zap
    circuitry. A missing pullup or something that could lead to a failure.

    i've mostly been following along from home, but as a sw person working
    in the embedded space this tweaked my interest. how does one debug
    something like this w/o the schematic? i guess i was thinking the
    internals had some sort of custom asic or something, but maybe i'm over
    thinking it.

    It was a problem with the circuit driving the solenoid which wouldn't
    be difficult to reverse engineer. Here's an old thread from 1994 on
    the subject:

    http://tinyurl.com/343x48

    Bret

  5. Autra Bike Co : Automatic shifting system

    About 15 years ago I was at Interbike in Long Beach and I ran across
    this automatic shifting system that was developed by Autra Bike Co.
    The shifting system had this variable sprocket system. The gear system
    used this system whereby wedges of teeth would move in and out of
    place to form a gear. The system was patented, but never moved beyond
    the prototype state. I suspect that the system would be unable to
    withstand the torque of a conventional shifting system.

    Autra bike also developed a very elegant hydraulic brake system. One
    of the people at Magura told me that he saw the braking leaking fluid
    however.

    The patents are available:
    (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4850939.html )

    Quoted message said:

    This article suggests that all practical problems with electronic
    shifting were solved back in 1995 and concludes:

    "The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission is probably the first
    successful computer controlled shifting system, and it opens an
    entirely new avenue for the bicycle industry. The successful
    introduction of a fully automatic electric bicycle transmission could
    lead to the rapid expansion of a new market. The transmission has
    application to all types of cycling and might prove especially
    valuable in racing."

    http://www2.bsn.de/Cycling/articles/browning.html

    For some reason, no one seems to have pedalled down this "entirely new
    avenue" and the "rapid expansion of a new market" appears to be
    limited to squabbles on RBT.

    But the article has lots of interesting details about a working
    electronic bicycle shifter.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  6. Autra Bike Co : Automatic shifting system

    About 15 years ago I was at Interbike in Long Beach and I ran across
    this automatic shifting system that was developed by Autra Bike Co.
    The shifting system had this variable sprocket system. The gear system
    used this system whereby wedges of teeth would move in and out of
    place to form a gear. The system was patented, but never moved beyond
    the prototype state. I suspect that the system would be unable to
    withstand the torque of a conventional shifting system.

    Autra bike also developed a very elegant hydraulic brake system. One
    of the people at Magura told me that he saw the braking leaking fluid
    however.

    The patents are available:
    (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4850939.html )

    Quoted message said:

    This article suggests that all practical problems with electronic
    shifting were solved back in 1995 and concludes:

    "The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission is probably the first
    successful computer controlled shifting system, and it opens an
    entirely new avenue for the bicycle industry. The successful
    introduction of a fully automatic electric bicycle transmission could
    lead to the rapid expansion of a new market. The transmission has
    application to all types of cycling and might prove especially
    valuable in racing."

    http://www2.bsn.de/Cycling/articles/browning.html

    For some reason, no one seems to have pedalled down this "entirely new
    avenue" and the "rapid expansion of a new market" appears to be
    limited to squabbles on RBT.

    But the article has lots of interesting details about a working
    electronic bicycle shifter.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bret said:
    Howard Kveck said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I seem to recall Leonard Zinn mentioning somewhere that there was a guy
    up in Colorado who did work on Zaps back in the mid '90s that got them to
    work pretty reliably. As I recall it was all electronic work too. By the
    way, do you have a link to JB's criticisms or should I JFG it? I'd be
    interested in what he has to say about it.

    I remember that too and know the guy he was talking about, Alan Hills.
    He is (was?) an electronics tech at NCAR that repaired a failed zap
    system that he got cheap. The article was about how to build a light/
    cheap climbing bike on a budget. It's simple really, you just go out
    and find some failed Zap components and repair it. The guy's a friend
    of Zin and also took part in Zin's crank length experiments.

    Yep, that was the article. After I sent, I remembered the article's focus. Thanks.

    Quoted message said:

    I also recall reading somewhere that there was a basic flaw in the Zap
    circuitry. A missing pullup or something that could lead to a failure.

    Google Jobst and Zap in Google Groups and I'm sure you'll find it.

    I'll do that - thanks again.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This article suggests that all practical problems with electronic
    shifting were solved back in 1995 and concludes:

    "The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission is probably the first
    successful computer controlled shifting system, and it opens an
    entirely new avenue for the bicycle industry. The successful
    introduction of a fully automatic electric bicycle transmission could
    lead to the rapid expansion of a new market. The transmission has
    application to all types of cycling and might prove especially
    valuable in racing."

    http://www2.bsn.de/Cycling/articles/browning.html

    For some reason, no one seems to have pedalled down this "entirely new
    avenue" and the "rapid expansion of a new market" appears to be
    limited to squabbles on RBT.

    But the article has lots of interesting details about a working
    electronic bicycle shifter.

    Quoted message said:

    Autra Bike Co : Automatic shifting system
    About 15 years ago I was at Interbike in Long Beach and I ran across
    this automatic shifting system that was developed by Autra Bike Co.
    The shifting system had this variable sprocket system. The gear system
    used this system whereby wedges of teeth would move in and out of
    place to form a gear. The system was patented, but never moved beyond
    the prototype state. I suspect that the system would be unable to
    withstand the torque of a conventional shifting system.
    Autra bike also developed a very elegant hydraulic brake system. One
    of the people at Magura told me that he saw the braking leaking fluid
    however.
    The patents are available:
    (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4850939.html )

    That was previously patented by Tokheim around 1973.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. "Bret" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Bret" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > ONE DOLLAR only pays for the controller.

    Quoted message said:

    For an electronic designer you are really struggling badly with the
    notion of electronics.

    For some jerk who doesn't know anything about it you certainly are
    mouthy. I
    can buy a half dozen microcontrollers with enough computational power to
    do
    that job for a buck each. Right now I'm designing a medical probe that's
    a
    throw away after every patient that will have a controller in it.

    So by all means tell me all about it you nitwit.

    You started out saying that electronics were too expensive for high
    end bike equipment, despite the fact that it's already there in power
    meters, HR monitors and cyclometers.

    You just don't understand engineering so why don't you just shut up?

    Quoted message said:

    My opinion is that the Mavic Zap/Mektronic suffered from poorly
    designed electronics.

    Your opinion and $2 will get you a cup of coffee at a truck stop.

  10. "d p chang" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bret said:

    I also recall reading somewhere that there was a basic flaw in the Zap
    circuitry. A missing pullup or something that could lead to a failure.

    i've mostly been following along from home, but as a sw person working
    in the embedded space this tweaked my interest. how does one debug
    something like this w/o the schematic? i guess i was thinking the
    internals had some sort of custom asic or something, but maybe i'm over
    thinking it.

    No, there wasn't much to the controller. All it did was lift one solenoid or
    the other and then drop it. The rest was all mechanical.

  11. Quoted message said:

    This article suggests that all practical problems with electronic
    shifting were solved back in 1995 and concludes:

    "The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission is probably the first
    successful computer controlled shifting system, and it opens an
    entirely new avenue for the bicycle industry. The successful
    introduction of a fully automatic electric bicycle transmission could
    lead to the rapid expansion of a new market. The transmission has
    application to all types of cycling and might prove especially
    valuable in racing."

    http://www2.bsn.de/Cycling/articles/browning.html

    For some reason, no one seems to have pedalled down this "entirely new
    avenue" and the "rapid expansion of a new market" appears to be
    limited to squabbles on RBT.

    But the article has lots of interesting details about a working
    electronic bicycle shifter.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    A current electronic shift bike:

    http://news.com.com/2300-1008_3-6167611-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  12. Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    You just don't understand engineering so why don't you just shut up?

    Pop quiz Kunich. Summarize the following thread in one sentence. The
    hardware specifics may be foreign to you, but if you are an
    electronic design engineer you should be able to get the gist of it.

    Bret

    http://tinyurl.com/32hpu9

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bret said:
    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    You just don't understand engineering so why don't you just shut up?

    Pop quiz Kunich. Summarize the following thread in one sentence. The
    hardware specifics may be foreign to you, but if you are an
    electronic design engineer you should be able to get the gist of it.

    Bret

    http://tinyurl.com/32hpu9

    Ooh, I'm betting he takes "Insults for $100, Alex" as his answer...

    By the way, Bret, I did find this page, which I imagine sums up Jobst's take on
    Zap / Mektronic pretty well:

    http://yarchive.net/bike/mavic_zap.html

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This article suggests that all practical problems with electronic
    shifting were solved back in 1995 and concludes:

    "The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission is probably the first
    successful computer controlled shifting system, and it opens an
    entirely new avenue for the bicycle industry. The successful
    introduction of a fully automatic electric bicycle transmission could
    lead to the rapid expansion of a new market. The transmission has
    application to all types of cycling and might prove especially
    valuable in racing."

    http://www2.bsn.de/Cycling/articles/browning.html

    For some reason, no one seems to have pedalled down this "entirely new
    avenue" and the "rapid expansion of a new market" appears to be
    limited to squabbles on RBT.

    But the article has lots of interesting details about a working
    electronic bicycle shifter.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    A current electronic shift bike:

    http://news.com.com/2300-1008_3-6167611-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    My wife and I each have one of the new Giant Suede Coasting bikes. They
    shift quite smoothly and are a delight to ride. I ride a Specialized Allez
    road bike as well but the new "Coastings" are a lot of fun to ride together
    in the neighborhoods.

    We ride between 6 - 8 miles per day on the Giants and love every minute of
    it. She had no desire for a derailer system nor hand brakes. and has not
    been on a bike for 20 years.

    They are not very "technical" but they sure are fun plus they got her back
    into riding.

    Mike

  15. Howard Kveck said:

    ...
    By the way, Bret, I did find this page, which I imagine sums up Jobst's take on
    Zap / Mektronic pretty well:

    http://yarchive.net/bike/mavic_zap.html

    Some people will prefer to read it here:
    <http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/electronic-shifting.html>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    BEER IS FOOD

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  16. Quoted message said:


    Help! The RBR bot is arguing with the RBT bot!
    It's a cascade of doom!1!!...

    Maybe they are actually the same bot? 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    BEER IS FOOD

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom \'Johnny Sunset\' Sherman said:
    Howard Kveck said:

    ...
    By the way, Bret, I did find this page, which I imagine sums up Jobst's
    take on
    Zap / Mektronic pretty well:

    http://yarchive.net/bike/mavic_zap.html

    Some people will prefer to read it here:
    <http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/electronic-shifting.html>.

    Well, alright. The other one came up first in my search, which is why I chose it.

    Interestingly, JB says that there isn't enough tension in the system to be able
    work well on a 40-52 ringset with a 13-24 cogset - I know of a bike that used 39-53
    and a 12-25 (though more often a 12-21) with a Zap that worked just fine.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  18. "Howard Kveck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bret said:
    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    You just don't understand engineering so why don't you just shut up?

    Pop quiz Kunich. Summarize the following thread in one sentence. The
    hardware specifics may be foreign to you, but if you are an
    electronic design engineer you should be able to get the gist of it.

    Bret

    http://tinyurl.com/32hpu9

    Ooh, I'm betting he takes "Insults for $100, Alex" as his answer...

    By the way, Bret, I did find this page, which I imagine sums up Jobst's
    take on
    Zap / Mektronic pretty well:

    http://yarchive.net/bike/mavic_zap.html

    I wonder if you understand that "electrically activated pawls" means "dog
    clutches"?

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com>

    Quoted message said:

    "Howard Kveck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if you understand that "electrically activated pawls" means "dog
    clutches"?

    Mmm, that's a bit of a stretch. The solenoid briefly fires a pin into a sliding
    rack to move the mechanism. I think of dog clutches as seen in freewheel/hubs (pawls
    and teeth) or the Ram Coupler when in the open (or direct drive) position
    (internal/external splines):

    http://www.ramclutches.com/Tech/coupler1.htm

    So it could be considered a clutch. However:

    "The Mavic system was handicapped by the mechanism. All it takes is a strong jolt
    and the clutches lift and the bike shifts somewhere on it's own." [1]

    The solenoids are only fired when it's shifting - the rest of the time, the
    derailleur held its position by a detent system, which was very positive. The sketchy
    electronics were the cause of random shifts or, more frequently, no shifts.

    [1] http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/41ef71ee8bcd9778?hl

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  20. "Howard Kveck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Tom Kunich"
    <cyclintom@yahoo. com>

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if you understand that "electrically activated pawls" means "dog
    clutches"?

    Mmm, that's a bit of a stretch.

    What a nutcake.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.