Electronic shifting system

"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my
>> collarbone.

> Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of DuraAce
> look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good. The cleats
> had become absolute **** and I couldn't use Look cleats anymore because
> they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to working well.

That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of months
later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and launched
me over the bars.

> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my
>>> collarbone.

>> Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of
>> DuraAce look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good.
>> The cleats had become absolute **** and I couldn't use Look cleats
>> anymore because they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to
>> working well.

> That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
> tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
> once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of
> months later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and
> launched me over the bars.

I can hardly believe that you could pull out of those pedals with new cleats
and a good fit. I haven't pulled out of them EVER except when I wasn't
clipped in properly. I do know that some of the cleats and pedals would
allow you to sort of clip in off to one side and then you could pull out.
But it felt funny and would turn your foot a little so that you would unclip
and reclip in so that it felt right.

The Shimano DuraAce pedals are really strong - much better than anything but
the top of the line Look.

I've seen people pull out of just about every pedal on the market though.
Oh, except for those early Cinelli pedals that required you to pull the
little slide out in order to detach your shoes from the pedals - those had
to be the best idea for track bikes. The only problem was that if you fell
over you couldn't reach them to get out of the pedals.

On Aug 31, 6:12 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my
> >> collarbone.

> > Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of DuraAce
> > look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good. The cleats
> > had become absolute **** and I couldn't use Look cleats anymore because
> > they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to working well.

> That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
> tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
> once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of months
> later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and launched
> me over the bars.

That'll teach you trackie types with massive power to use straps. ;-)
Bill C

In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com>
wrote:

> "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >xxxxxxxx

> Kveck, I suggest you continue talking to yourself since you haven't a clue
> what you're talking about.

See, Tommy, this is exactly what started this part of the thread: I said that you
constantly argue with people who know what they're talking about. You fire off a
bunch of comments based on crazy-ass suppositions and then proceed to criticize and
denigrate as "stupid" the people who respond knowledgeably. You have an evangelical
belief in your own correctness at all times, in the face of contrary evidence. "North
African machinists", my ass.

Tom Kunich, the man who thinks he knows everything about everything...

--
tanx,
Howard

Fabergé eggs are elegant but I prefer Fabergé bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of
> >> DuraAce look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good.
> >> The cleats had become absolute **** and I couldn't use Look cleats
> >> anymore because they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to
> >> working well.

> > That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
> > tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
> > once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of
> > months later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and
> > launched me over the bars.

> I can hardly believe that you could pull out of those pedals with new cleats
> and a good fit. I haven't pulled out of them EVER except when I wasn't
> clipped in properly. I do know that some of the cleats and pedals would
> allow you to sort of clip in off to one side and then you could pull out.
> But it felt funny and would turn your foot a little so that you would unclip
> and reclip in so that it felt right.

Tom: I don't reckon that you're a national-level trackie, either.

(Sure, Carl's a has-been, but he's our has-been!)

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Tom: I don't reckon that you're a national-level trackie, either.
> (Sure, Carl's a has-been, but he's our has-been!)

And we can sell him if we're ever short of alcohol money (which is
more than can be said for Kunich).