Electronic whatchemacallits

Drongo

Nov 28, 2007
From CN live ticker stage 10:
13:34 CEST 20.4km/135.6km to go
A group of 24 riders went clear ten kilometres into the stage, and are currently 1'32 ahead of the yellow jersey bunch. We'll get an ID on those soon. Fabian Wegmann (Gerolsteiner) is there and seemed to be having gear problems. Cyclingnews' Ben Atkins mentions he is on a prototype Shimano electronic gruppo and is stuck in top gear.

Apparently he had to change bikes.

Drongo said:
From CN live ticker stage 10:

Apparently he had to change bikes.
They initially tried to change the battery when he was still riding, but then gave up. There was a discussion on the merits of electronic shifting - apparently, it is more responsive, and it also compensates for small dings to the derailleur.

TheDarkLord said:
They initially tried to change the battery when he was still riding, but then gave up. There was a discussion on the merits of electronic shifting - apparently, it is more responsive, and it also compensates for small dings to the derailleur.
Sounds like friction shifters!

Powerful Pete said:
Compensating for small dings in the derailleur? Is this really a big problem? :confused:
Well, I'm not using the right technical terms here. In the typical mechanical system, the shifting is affected if the derailleur gets banged up (a lateral shift), while electronic shifting apparently takes it into account. Sorry, I don't know how to put this in proper terms.

TheDarkLord said:
Well, I'm not using the right technical terms here. In the typical mechanical system, the shifting is affected if the derailleur gets banged up (a lateral shift), while electronic shifting apparently takes it into account. Sorry, I don't know how to put this in proper terms.
TDL, I did not mean to go after you for your use of jargon, but I call into question the usefulness of an electronic shifting system for this - it seems like they have a solution looking for a problem.

So we will no longer be able to say that the rider had a "mechanical". (It will have to be an "electrical") :)

Perhaps Wegmann's mechanic just forgot to plug the bike in overnight...:D

Talk about the answer to the question that no-one asked...

Powerful Pete said:
TDL, I did not mean to go after you for your use of jargon, but I call into question the usefulness of an electronic shifting system for this - it seems like they have a solution looking for a problem.
Can you imagine how many of these things they could sell to middle-age US weekend pro-kit riders?

Crankyfeet said:
Can you imagine how many of these things they could sell to middle-age US weekend pro-kit riders?
I think that if you had the inside track with the marketing boys and girls at either Shimano or Campagnolo they would be able to provide a pretty good estimate of how many they intend to see to US (and European, for that matter) pro-kit riders. :D

The 11 speed Super Record looks too sweet to be bothered thinking about anything by Shimano.

Bro Deal said:
The 11 speed Super Record looks too sweet to be bothered thinking about anything by Shimano.
I am inclined to agree. That is squarely targeted at people like me, who grew up dreaming of affording the original super record... and it is working. :D

Powerful Pete said:
I am inclined to agree. That is squarely targeted at people like me, who grew up dreaming of affording the original super record... and it is working. :D
I still have a lugged steel Bianchi with original super record....truly a classic.