Elephant Treadmill

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lee Michaels, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    Elephants need exercise, just like us!!

    http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/03/28/idaho_zoo_installs_elephant_treadmill/

    This is interesting. They had to go to a company that makes conveyor belts
    for the mining industry to make this treadmill. Definitely not your
    consumer-human model.

    Since this is in Alaska, they could have made her some giant cross country
    skis!!

    Elepants are very good swimmers. I saw a show recently that showed them
    swimming. I was amazed that they move in the water so well. They can easily
    swim for twenty or thirty miles too. Part of it is that they float so
    easily. But those legs are very efficient paddles.

    Sooooooo..............., why not a giant swim spa? The elephant would get a
    bath. They like the water. They are supported by the water. Etc.

    Two engineering challenges for this project that I can see. One would be to
    have an easy way to get the elephant in and out of the swim spa. The other
    would be to build a very powerful system to produce the current that the
    elephant would swim against.

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:42:36 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Elephants need exercise, just like us!!
    >
    >http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/03/28/idaho_zoo_installs_elephant_treadmill/

    Oops, mea culpa, I thought for sure this thread was about Dally's
    treadmill.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lee Michaels" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Elephants need exercise, just like us!!
    >
    > http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/03/28/idaho_zoo_installs_elephant
    > _treadmill/
    >
    > This is interesting. They had to go to a company that makes conveyor belts
    > for the mining industry to make this treadmill. Definitely not your
    > consumer-human model.
    >
    > Since this is in Alaska, they could have made her some giant cross country
    > skis!!
    >
    > Elepants are very good swimmers. I saw a show recently that showed them
    > swimming. I was amazed that they move in the water so well. They can easily
    > swim for twenty or thirty miles too. Part of it is that they float so
    > easily. But those legs are very efficient paddles.
    >
    > Sooooooo..............., why not a giant swim spa? The elephant would get a
    > bath. They like the water. They are supported by the water. Etc.
    >
    > Two engineering challenges for this project that I can see. One would be to
    > have an easy way to get the elephant in and out of the swim spa. The other
    > would be to build a very powerful system to produce the current that the
    > elephant would swim against.

    Looky here:

    http://www.endlesspools.com/landingpages/searchlandingsp.html

    I'd seriously considered one of these (and still might!) but for the
    time being, the 16K pricetag is a bit out of my range, at least until
    the morgage is paid off. ;-) 7 years to go.....
    --
    Om.