General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Elevated potassium levels - Help

Started by sethna · · Last activity · 90 posts · 2,468 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 May 2006
Last activity
12 May 2006
Original author
sethna
Posts
90
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,468
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 90
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Andrew B. Chung said:

    It seems you would attempt to stifle Jason with your MD training.

    I would certainly like to stifle Jason from giving out potentially
    dangerous medical advice. The same goes for others in this group who
    post such advice.

    Quoted message said:

    If you had more integrity, you would publicly acknowledge that
    hyperkalemia is an immediately lifethreatening condition whereas neither
    moderate renal insufficiency nor type 4 renal tubular acidosis (RTA) can
    kill someone outright.

    Doctors and patients frequently tolerate mild degrees of hyperkalemia to
    allow for the continued renal protection of being on an ACE inhibitor.
    Ending up on dialysis is not all that pleasant and many people would
    accept some slight increased risk of death for a significant decrease in
    the risk of dialysis.

    What I'll publicly acknowledge is that I do not have adequate
    information based on the original posting to be providing medical
    advice. There are certainly situations in which I would consider keeping
    someone on an ACE inhibitor in the face of hyperkalemia to be extremely
    dangerous and extremely foolish. But I don't know enough to know whether
    this was one of those situations. Why are you so sure it was?

    --
    David Rind
    [email hidden]

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    David Rind said:

    I would certainly like to stifle Jason from giving out potentially
    dangerous medical advice. The same goes for others in this group who
    post such advice.

    I'd like to stifle all the Chun*g cross posts, while we're at it. Care
    to trim some of those headers?

    You can't stifle anyone on usenet, generally, so you may as well give up
    trying. All you can do, really, is to provide more accurate, reliable
    information and assume the readers are discerning enough to make the
    right call. :-/

    Just sayinzall.

    Susan

  3. Neryl Chyphes said:


    "David Rind" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...
    Giving simple answers like "throw the ACE inhibitor in the trash" in the
    face of limited information and limited knowledge is just silly.

    You suggest advice from ABC PhD/MD is silly?

    Goes without saying.

    I note you omitted comments on his theology.

    It should be noted that David has difficulties with the truth.

    You will be in my prayers, dear Neryl whom I love in Jesus' most awesome
    and most holy name.

    "My LORD **and** my GOD!" -- Archetypal Atheist "Doubting" Thomas upon
    seeing the risen Jesus Christ.

    "I am the way, the truth, and the life... " -- LORD Jesus Christ

    In truth, I most assuredly know the LORD to be kind, just and right.

    Will be available to "glow" and chat about this and other things like
    cardiology, diabetes, Bird Flu, the Lamb's opening of the 6th seal (Rev.
    6:12), cooking and nutrition that interest those following this thread
    here during the next on-line chat(05/11/06) from 5 to 6 pm EST, LORD
    willing:

    http://tinyurl.com/8w7uq

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    http://tinyurl.com/7mcuo

    Prayerfully in Christ's love,

    Andrew
    http://tinyurl.com/zlaml

  4. David Rind said:


    Andrew B. Chung said:

    It seems you would attempt to stifle Jason with your MD training.

    I would certainly like to stifle Jason from giving out potentially
    dangerous medical advice. The same goes for others in this group who
    post such advice.

    Quoted message said:

    If you had more integrity, you would publicly acknowledge that
    hyperkalemia is an immediately lifethreatening condition whereas neither
    moderate renal insufficiency nor type 4 renal tubular acidosis (RTA) can
    kill someone outright.

    Doctors and patients frequently tolerate mild degrees of hyperkalemia to
    allow for the continued renal protection of being on an ACE inhibitor.
    Ending up on dialysis is not all that pleasant and many people would
    accept some slight increased risk of death for a significant decrease in
    the risk of dialysis.

    What I'll publicly acknowledge is that I do not have adequate
    information based on the original posting to be providing medical
    advice. There are certainly situations in which I would consider keeping
    someone on an ACE inhibitor in the face of hyperkalemia to be extremely
    dangerous and extremely foolish. But I don't know enough to know whether
    this was one of those situations. Why are you so sure it was?

    I have seen enough SCDs from iatrogenic hyperkalemia to know the wisdom
    of erring on the side of caution.

    Still praying for you, dear David whom I love in Jesus' most precious
    and holy name.

    "My LORD **and** my GOD!" -- Archetypal Atheist "Doubting" Thomas upon
    seeing the risen Jesus Christ.

    "I am the way, the truth, and the life... " -- LORD Jesus Christ

    In truth, I most assuredly know the LORD to be kind, just and right.

    Will be available to "glow" and chat about this and other things like
    cardiology, diabetes, Bird Flu, the Lamb's opening of the 6th seal (Rev.
    6:12), cooking and nutrition that interest those following this thread
    here during the next on-line chat(05/11/06) from 5 to 6 pm EST, LORD
    willing:

    http://tinyurl.com/8w7uq

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    http://tinyurl.com/7mcuo

    Prayerfully in Christ's love,

    Andrew
    http://tinyurl.com/zlaml

  5. Mr. Natural-Health said:


    Andrew B. Chung said:

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    Well, just as long as neither you nor conventional medicine had
    anything to do with it. 🙁

    Thankfully :-)

    "My LORD **and** my GOD!" -- Archetypal Atheist "Doubting" Thomas upon
    seeing the risen Jesus Christ.

    "I am the way, the truth, and the life... " -- LORD Jesus Christ

    In truth, I most assuredly know the LORD to be kind, just and right.

    Will be available to "glow" and chat about this and other things like
    cardiology, diabetes, Bird Flu, the Lamb's opening of the 6th seal (Rev.
    6:12), cooking and nutrition that interest those following this thread
    here during the next on-line chat(05/11/06) from 5 to 6 pm EST, LORD
    willing:

    http://tinyurl.com/8w7uq

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    http://tinyurl.com/7mcuo

    Prayerfully in Christ's love,

    Andrew
    http://tinyurl.com/zlaml

  6. Susan <[email hidden]> wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    David Rind said:

    I would certainly like to stifle Jason from giving out potentially
    dangerous medical advice. The same goes for others in this group who
    post such advice.

    I'd like to stifle all the Chun*g cross posts, while we're at it. Care
    to trim some of those headers?

    You can't stifle anyone on usenet, generally, so you may as well give up
    trying. All you can do, really, is to provide more accurate, reliable
    information and assume the readers are discerning enough to make the
    right call. :-/

    Just sayinzall.

    Susan

    As a Usenet veteran of many, many years, I can say Susan is absolutely
    right. The one thing everyone is absolutely powerless to do is to change
    whether anyone else posts or what they say. And trying to do so creates more
    disruption than the original posters do.

    Kill filters are your friend.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA [email hidden]

  7. Andrew B. Chung said:
    Mr. Natural-Health said:


    Andrew B. Chung said:

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    Well, just as long as neither you nor conventional medicine had
    anything to do with it. 🙁

    Thankfully :-)

    My blood pressure has gone up, somewhat.

    It is now around 100/64.

    I tend to believe that I have something to do with it, namely diet and
    exercise. Actually, it is not very hard to achieve at all. And, I
    certainly am not a runner or a jogger.

    No way would I take prescription medication.

    Just thought that you might want to get real.

  8. Mr. Natural-Health said:


    Andrew B. Chung said:
    Mr. Natural-Health said:


    Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

    > For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    > the LORD has reshaped me:

    Well, just as long as neither you nor conventional medicine had
    anything to do with it. 🙁

    Thankfully :-)

    My blood pressure has gone up, somewhat.

    It is now around 100/64.

    I tend to believe that I have something to do with it, namely diet and
    exercise. Actually, it is not very hard to achieve at all. And, I
    certainly am not a runner or a jogger.

    No way would I take prescription medication.

    That would be your choice. Certainly, there is no indication for
    anti-hypertensive medications in your case.

    Quoted message said:

    Just thought that you might want to get real.

    The truth is real.

    Still praying for you, dear John whom I love in Jesus' most awesome and
    most holy name.

    "My LORD **and** my GOD!" -- Archetypal Atheist "Doubting" Thomas upon
    seeing the risen Jesus Christ.

    "I am the way, the truth, and the life... " -- LORD Jesus Christ

    In truth, I most assuredly know the LORD to be kind, just and right.

    Will be available to "glow" and chat about this and other things like
    cardiology, diabetes, Bird Flu, the Lamb's opening of the 6th seal (Rev.
    6:12), cooking and nutrition that interest those following this thread
    here during the next on-line chat(05/11/06) from 5 to 6 pm EST, LORD
    willing:

    http://tinyurl.com/8w7uq

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    http://tinyurl.com/7mcuo

    Prayerfully in Christ's love,

    Andrew
    http://tinyurl.com/zlaml

  9. Andrew B. Chung said:
    Quoted message said:

    My blood pressure has gone up, somewhat.

    It is now around 100/64.

    I tend to believe that I have something to do with it, namely diet and
    exercise. Actually, it is not very hard to achieve at all. And, I
    certainly am not a runner or a jogger.

    No way would I take prescription medication.

    That would be your choice. Certainly, there is no indication for
    anti-hypertensive medications in your case.

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    All prescription medication, at best, should be taken on a temporary
    basis.

    The Natural Hygiene Movement nailed the primary problem of conventional
    medicine back during the middle of the 19th century. It is truer
    today, than it was back then.

    ADR deaths are real.

    Just thought that the fools might want to wake up before their
    physician kills them. Eating a healthy diet really isn't all that bad.

    Beware of people addicted to butter!!!

  10. listener said:
    Quoted message said:

    The physician knows that his patient has elevated potassium levels
    which is being caused by the particular ace-inhibitor that he has
    prescribed.

    So, why shouldn't this physician be sued for malpractice and have his
    license to practice medicine taken away from him?

    Or, are physicians simply in the business of killing their patients
    with ADRs?

    If it were me, I'd sue him for female practice.

    That would work only if the Doc was a female. 🙁

    Just thought that you might want to know.

  11. Mr. Natural-Health said:


    Andrew B. Chung said:
    Quoted message said:

    My blood pressure has gone up, somewhat.

    It is now around 100/64.

    I tend to believe that I have something to do with it, namely diet and
    exercise. Actually, it is not very hard to achieve at all. And, I
    certainly am not a runner or a jogger.

    No way would I take prescription medication.

    That would be your choice. Certainly, there is no indication for
    anti-hypertensive medications in your case.

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    All prescription medication, at best, should be taken on a temporary
    basis.

    That would be ideal and is possible through the healing power of the
    Holy Spirit.

    "My LORD **and** my GOD!" -- Archetypal Atheist "Doubting" Thomas upon
    seeing the risen Jesus Christ.

    "I am the way, the truth, and the life... " -- LORD Jesus Christ

    In truth, I most assuredly know the LORD to be kind, just and right.

    Will be available to "glow" and chat about this and other things like
    cardiology, diabetes, Bird Flu, the Lamb's opening of the 6th seal (Rev.
    6:12), cooking and nutrition that interest those following this thread
    here during the next on-line chat(05/11/06) from 5 to 6 pm EST, LORD
    willing:

    http://tinyurl.com/8w7uq

    For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
    the LORD has reshaped me:

    http://tinyurl.com/7mcuo

    Prayerfully in Christ's love,

    Andrew
    http://tinyurl.com/zlaml

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mr. Natural-Health said:
    Andrew B. Chung said:
    Quoted message said:

    My blood pressure has gone up, somewhat.

    It is now around 100/64.

    I tend to believe that I have something to do with it, namely diet and
    exercise. Actually, it is not very hard to achieve at all. And, I
    certainly am not a runner or a jogger.

    No way would I take prescription medication.

    That would be your choice. Certainly, there is no indication for
    anti-hypertensive medications in your case.

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    All prescription medication, at best, should be taken on a temporary
    basis.

    Hear that, all you type 1 diabetics? John doesn't want you taking
    your insulin more than temporarily.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If you can't say something nice, then sit next to me."
    -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

  13. David Wright said:

    Hear that, all you type 1 diabetics? John doesn't want you taking
    your insulin more than temporarily.

    If that is the best that you can do, don't quite your day job.

    Do you comprehend ADR as being a cause of death, let alone a major
    cause of death in the USA, for the elderly?

    Now perhaps you might comprehend, that all High Blood Pressure
    medication should be taken on a temporary basis, until you get it under
    control by eating a proper diet, exercising, deep breath or whatever?

    Yeah, ... right, sure: Make sure I got all my 'T's crossed; but let
    1,000's of patients die each year from ADRs.

    ADR stands for Adverse Drug Reactions.

    The Natural Hygiene Movement observed in the 19th Century that
    conventional medicine prescribes toxic drugs that develop side effects.
    Then they prescribe more toxic medication to treat the side effects of
    the first medications. And, in the end, the patient ends up dying from
    the medication that supposedly was taken to save them in the first
    place.

    Can you comprehend that simple concept, Stupid?

    Boy are you a Slime Bucket!!!

    Boy are YOU a moron!!!

    Just thought that you might want to know.

  14. David Wright said:

    Hear that, all you type 1 diabetics? John doesn't want you taking
    your insulin more than temporarily.

    If that is the best that you can do, don't quit your day job.

    Do you comprehend ADR as being a cause of death, let alone a major
    cause of death in the USA, for the elderly?

    Now perhaps you might comprehend, that all High Blood Pressure
    medication should be taken on a temporary basis, until you get it under
    control by eating a proper diet, exercising, deep breath or whatever?

    Yeah, ... right, sure: Make sure I got all my 'T's crossed; but let
    1,000's of patients die each year from ADRs.

    ADR stands for Adverse Drug Reactions.

    The Natural Hygiene Movement observed in the 19th Century that
    conventional medicine prescribes toxic drugs that develop side effects.
    Then they prescribe more toxic medication to treat the side effects of
    the first medications. And, in the end, the patient ends up dying from
    the medication that supposedly was taken to save them in the first
    place.

    Can you comprehend that simple concept, Stupid?

    Boy are you a Slime Bucket!!!

    Boy are YOU a moron!!!

    Just thought that you might want to know.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mr. Natural-Health said:


    Quoted message said:
    Mr Unnatural-Acts said:

    All prescription medication, at best, should be taken on a
    temporary basis.

    Quoted message said:
    David Wright said:

    Hear that, all you type 1 diabetics? John doesn't want you taking
    your insulin more than temporarily.

    If that is the best that you can do, don't quite your day job.

    If your clumsy editing job is the best that you can do, and I know
    that it is, don't quit yours, assuming you have one (denture adhesive
    tester or some such, I suppose). I've restored the text you snipped
    out, since you're clearly trying to run away from it.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you comprehend ADR as being a cause of death, let alone a major
    cause of death in the USA, for the elderly?

    Sure. Which has nothing to do with the fact that some prescription
    medications do need to be taken continually.

    Quoted message said:

    Now perhaps you might comprehend, that all High Blood Pressure
    medication should be taken on a temporary basis, until you get it under
    control by eating a proper diet, exercising, deep breath or whatever?

    Oh, *high blood pressure* medication. Too bad you were too doltish to
    put in this qualification the first time around.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, ... right, sure: Make sure I got all my 'T's crossed; but let
    1,000's of patients die each year from ADRs.

    ADR stands for Adverse Drug Reactions.

    So it does.

    Quoted message said:

    The Natural Hygiene Movement observed in the 19th Century that
    conventional medicine prescribes toxic drugs that develop side effects.
    Then they prescribe more toxic medication to treat the side effects of
    the first medications. And, in the end, the patient ends up dying from
    the medication that supposedly was taken to save them in the first place.

    Can you comprehend that simple concept, Stupid?

    Sure. It's so simple that it's wrong.

    Just thought you might want to know.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If you can't say something nice, then sit next to me."
    -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

  16. David Wright said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mr. Natural-Health said:
    Quoted message said:

    The Natural Hygiene Movement observed in the 19th Century that
    conventional medicine prescribes toxic drugs that develop side effects.
    Then they prescribe more toxic medication to treat the side effects of
    the first medications. And, in the end, the patient ends up dying from
    the medication that supposedly was taken to save them in the first place.

    Can you comprehend that simple concept, Stupid?

    Sure. It's so simple that it's wrong.

    Just thought you might want to know.

    Of course it's wrong! Any good student the 19th-century knows that
    *electricity* cures everything. 😉

    In the 19th-century, doctors did sometimes prescribe toxic
    substances--like arsenic and strychnine--to their patients. And
    unlicensed quacks promoted tonics containing turpentine and alcohol.
    However, that was over 100 years ago. Medical science has advanced
    since then, as has our understanding of chemistry, physiology and
    microbiology. Today, all prescription pharmaceuticals (in the US, and
    many other developed countries) are subject to lengthy pre-clinical and
    clinical trials to *try* to ensure both safety and efficacy before
    they're made available to the public.

    If you want to argue that the process isn't perfect, you'd be correct.
    Yes, many medications have unpleasant side-effects, and yes, sometimes
    the side-effects are unexpectedly toxic or deadly. OTOH, advances in
    pharmacology have saved many lives, and made many others significantly
    more bearable.

    If someone who is really sick followed the "natural hygiene" movement
    in search of cure, the most likely outcome would be a quicker, more
    painful death. What a wonderful recommendation for your side.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,
    "marcia" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    David Wright said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mr. Natural-Health said:
    Quoted message said:

    The Natural Hygiene Movement observed in the 19th Century that
    conventional medicine prescribes toxic drugs that develop side effects.
    Then they prescribe more toxic medication to treat the side effects of
    the first medications. And, in the end, the patient ends up dying from
    the medication that supposedly was taken to save them in the first place.

    Can you comprehend that simple concept, Stupid?

    Sure. It's so simple that it's wrong.

    Just thought you might want to know.

    Of course it's wrong! Any good student the 19th-century knows that
    *electricity* cures everything. 😉

    In the 19th-century, doctors did sometimes prescribe toxic
    substances--like arsenic and strychnine--to their patients. And
    unlicensed quacks promoted tonics containing turpentine and alcohol.
    However, that was over 100 years ago. Medical science has advanced
    since then, as has our understanding of chemistry, physiology and
    microbiology. Today, all prescription pharmaceuticals (in the US, and
    many other developed countries) are subject to lengthy pre-clinical and
    clinical trials to *try* to ensure both safety and efficacy before
    they're made available to the public.

    If you want to argue that the process isn't perfect, you'd be correct.
    Yes, many medications have unpleasant side-effects, and yes, sometimes
    the side-effects are unexpectedly toxic or deadly. OTOH, advances in
    pharmacology have saved many lives, and made many others significantly
    more bearable.

    If someone who is really sick followed the "natural hygiene" movement
    in search of cure, the most likely outcome would be a quicker, more
    painful death. What a wonderful recommendation for your side.

    I have a question for you:
    Do you believe that someone that has high blood pressure should try to
    reduce the blood pressure by changing their diet and exercising on
    a regular schedule before taking medication?
    Jason

  18. Jacob Johnson said:

    I have a question for you:
    Do you believe that someone that has high blood pressure should try to
    reduce the blood pressure by changing their diet and exercising on
    a regular schedule before taking medication?
    Jason

    I believe a person should consult his or her doctor for the answer that
    question. Since I am NOT a doctor (and you're not either), I can't give
    a definitive answer to that question. But I suspect a wise course of
    action would be to change the diet and start an exercise program WHILE
    taking antihypertensives. When--or if--the person successfully changes
    his/her lifestyle *and the doctor thinks he/she may be able to maintain
    normal blood pressure without medication,* then they would likely be
    justified in discontinuing the medication while monitoring the
    situation.

    I do know this: not everyone who has high blood pressure is overweight,
    out of shape, or eats an unhealthy diet. Some people have high blood
    pressure for other reasons (which I can't elaborate). Under those
    conditions, changing diet and exercising more would probably not be an
    effective treatment.

  19. Jacob Johnson said:

    Do you believe that someone that has high blood pressure should try to
    reduce the blood pressure by changing their diet and exercising on
    a regular schedule before taking medication?

    Perhaps, if you were to concentrate?

    Can you say temporary?

    Don't know the definition of temporary? It is in the dictionary.

    My original statements on the above are perfectly valid. Why don't you
    try reading for once?

  20. Mr. Natural-Health said:
    Jacob Johnson said:

    Do you believe that someone that has high blood pressure should try to
    reduce the blood pressure by changing their diet and exercising on
    a regular schedule before taking medication?

    Perhaps, if you were to concentrate?

    Can you say temporary?

    Don't know the definition of temporary? It is in the dictionary.

    My original statements on the above are perfectly valid. Why don't you
    try reading for once?

    I think he was responding to my post (since that's what was quoted). I
    think we agree the best case scenario would be for antihypertensives to
    be a *temporary* solution, assuming the person was able to lose weight
    and become more fit, *and* that had a positive impact on his blood
    pressure.

    But again, I think that decision should be made in consultation with a
    doctor. Most people aren't successful at making such dramatic lifestyle
    changes or at sticking with them once initiated, and meanwhile, the
    unmedicated are more likely to stroke out or suffer other negative
    consequences of their hypertension.

    You would have more credibility if you didn't communicate in insults.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.