Elevation gain?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Gary R. Brower, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. All,

    I'm wondering what the phrase "total elevation gain" might mean in terms of a ride.

    Some places I've seen it seem to imply that one simply adds together all the elevation gains. That
    is "total climb"

    Other places figure total climb and subtract from it the "downhill side".

    In the first case, a loop ride may have an 1800' climb (with an equal descent). But that would
    translate into a 1800' total elevation gain.

    In the second case, a loop ride means NO elevation gain.

    Help?

    Thanks,

    Gary Brower grb94611@yahoo.com

    Tags:

  2. wrmann

    wrmann Guest

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:35:10 GMT, "Gary R. Brower" <gbrower@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I'm wondering what the phrase "total elevation gain" might mean in terms of a ride.
    >
    >Some places I've seen it seem to imply that one simply adds together all the elevation gains. That
    >is "total climb"

    When I did elevation graphs for BRAG, total elevation gain equals total climb.

    Bill Norcross, GA

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Gary R. Brower" <gbrower@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote in
    > Some places I've seen it seem to imply that one simply adds together all the elevation gains. That
    > is "total climb"
    >
    > Other places figure total climb and subtract from it the "downhill side".

    I've never seen the latter used regarding bicycle rides. Two systems I've seen used are:
    1. add together the major climbs and ignore the bumps
    2. count the bumps as well (a bump is a hill under some arbitrary height like 200 feet).

    Ken

  4. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    "Gary R. Brower" <gbrower@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
    > All,
    >

    > Some places I've seen it seem to imply that one simply adds together all the elevation gains. That
    > is "total climb"

    That is total elevation gain.

    > Other places figure total climb and subtract from it the "downhill side".

    That is net elevation gain.