Elevation questions

ralevin

Jan 22, 2015
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions.

I recently registered for America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride around Lake Tahoe (the 100-mile ride).

I'm not brand new to cycling, but I'd definitely consider myself a beginner. I've done 30-mile rides in the past, and have already started training for this ride. I'm a little nervous, but ultimately confident I can get myself to the point of doing the century.

One of my biggest concerns is the elevation. I live near Chicago, where the biggest "hills" are the bridges over the interstate.

The Tahoe ride advertises (if I remember and heard correctly) between 4500 to 5000 feet of total elevation. This includes two different 1000 foot climbs (one of which is at around mile 85).

Is this a lot of elevation? Any suggestions on how to prepare for this, other than what I'm already doing (increasing resistance on my spin bike while it's still too cold to ride outside)?

Thanks so much!

The manta on any challenging ride like this is "don't go anaerobic". Start easy, conserve your glycogen stores, baby your leg muscles as much as possible during the first 2/3 of the ride. You'll be psyched up to ride hard from the start, but resist. Your goal is to be riding strong on the final climb and last 15 miles, not walking up the hill or worse, sitting on the shoulder because your legs are cramping.

Make sure you have the right gearing on your bike. A low gear which allows you to sit and climb comfortably on those long climbs is essential. Check out the course profile, looking at the % slope on the long climbs, and plan your gearing to maintain a decent cadence (50-60) while seated and keeping within your aerobic power limits. If in doubt, error on the side of too low. It costs almost nothing to carry an extra "bailout" gear......one that might allow you to stay on the bike vs. walking on that final climb at mile 85.

Originally Posted by ralevin

The Tahoe ride advertises (if I remember and heard correctly) between 4500 to 5000 feet of total elevation. This includes two different 1000 foot climbs (one of which is at around mile 85).

Is this a lot of elevation? Any suggestions on how to prepare for this, other than what I'm already doing (increasing resistance on my spin bike while it's still too cold to ride outside)?

Thanks so much!
1000' is aobut 20 minutes. That means that for 20 minutes you work and don't get a break. You are well served to do training that consists of 20 minutes without a break. A trainer is good for that. You set your bike and trainer up so that your 20 minute effort leaves you close to gasping for breath. If you can do 20 minutes every day and 2 or 3 20 miunte session a couple times a week, it will help.

Now to do 100 miles. You really need to get out on the road and put in long rides. Work up to 4-5 hours on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Quote by dhk2:
" It costs almost nothing to carry an extra "bailout" gear......one that might allow you to stay on the bike vs. walking on that final climb at mile 85."

This.

Quote by aog:
"Now to do 100 miles. You really need to get out on the road and put in long rides. Work up to 4-5 hours on Saturday and/or Sunday."

And that.

At a minimum you should be easily cruising through your50-75 mile flattish rides. For a beginning cyclist on a hilly Century ride times of 7, 8 or 9 hours are not at all unusual.

As dhk2 stated, conserve energy early in the ride. Dole it out on the initial climbs in doses. There's nothing wrong with testing out your legs at various points during the ride, but throttling back sooner, rather than later, should be the thought in the front of your brain...right behind the one that is telling you to look around and enjoy every mile.

Pace lines can be a great way to save energy, BUT...beware of squids and don't be 'that guy'. If you find yourself riding with one or more sketchy people in it, bail out. Losing skin or breaking bones is not on the agenda.

Also, do not stay in a pace line at a speed that taxes your legs. The line you want is smooth, runs a consistent speed that matches your 'cruising speed' and allows you that energy saving shelter from the wind.

Hopefully you can practice your drafting skills locally before attempting it on big day. Good luck and have fun!

Definitely follow the advice above re climbs.

I have to say though that when I first hit the proper mountains, in Mallorca, I found the descents harder. After all, no-one ever died on a climb except Tom Simpson (and he had circumstances) -- two people crashed to death in Mallorca just over the few days we were there.

I would suggest studying the course and unless the descents are more or less straight, work on the cornering somehow.

Ascents are physical and descents are technical (though your heart rate may be equally as high).

There is no good way to practice long descents without the terrain. You can and should read up on technique. Visuals also help, Youtube has some tutorials.

If you are unsure of your ability you can always take it slow - brakes do not have to work as hard when you are moving slowly. I do not know the route, but since this is a large organized ride they probably chose something relatively safe. Find competent riders and emulate them while on the course - follow them down (not too closely), if they can make it, so can you.

Originally Posted by ralevin
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions.

I recently registered for America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride around Lake Tahoe (the 100-mile ride).

I'm not brand new to cycling, but I'd definitely consider myself a beginner. I've done 30-mile rides in the past, and have already started training for this ride. I'm a little nervous, but ultimately confident I can get myself to the point of doing the century.
I guess it should be said: The event is not a race. It is a fun ride (for some strange definition of fun).

There are 3500 riders. Don't worry about pace lines or anything else racewise. Just try to stay out of trouble. For most of the ride there will be a group that you can hide in to get away from the wind. That is often a good idea. Give everyone lots of space in case they need it.

If you have only done 30 mile rides, practice eating and drinking during your rides. Skip the meal before your daily ride. Grab a quick bite during your ride and then continue on. It is worthwhile practice.

maydog said:
Ascents are physical and descents are technical (though your heart rate may be equally as high).
Thats a great way to think of it, both a very important skill a roadie can't live without.