eliminate drinks containing sodium ascorbate ?

90rpm

Mar 2, 2013
Hi all,

considering the approach that Vit.C based antioxidants are actually not good for cycling performance,

Would you think that drinks containing sodium ascorbate / ascorbic acid (Vit. C) should be eliminated ?

Thanks!! Ride safely :)

Reactions: nonicenevecs86
[SIZE=10.5pt]I think they should not be eliminated because some of these drinks have only low amounts of the vitamin. They cannot fully incorporate large amounts of the vitamin in the drink. We can look at the labels to see how much content the drink has, and decide if we would take it or not. I don’t know much about Vitamin C affecting cycling performance but what I know is that it is good and essential for the body especially in the immune system. But if there are studies the prove how it can affect cycling or physical activity then we can check our drinks of how much Vitamin C content they have and see if there are only small amounts of it. [/SIZE]

I think people in general should be drinking more water in general to hydrate ans stay fueled up. Our nutrients should come from organic based. Sports and energy drinks in my opinion are mostly made up of fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and sweeteners. Water is the best source to rehydrate.

Water is the way to go. It lubricates you joints and rehydrates you. No hidden secret on that one.

Water is the best drink you can ever have, I agree with adfnio. But anyway, too much of anything can be dangerous especially these type of things, so be careful!

Just the mere fact that without water in 72 hours the body will actually start to break down and basic bodily function will stop. That should tell you alone how important water is.

Supplements in drinks aren't even that effective, and the science doesn't back up anything really aside from electrolytes. Vitamin C intake isn't going to do much to you whether you increase or decrease it in liquids that don't contain Vitamin C by nature. It's true that sticking with water is always the best option before and after rides, though you'll need something more during extended rides.

Yes eliminate this. It's chemicals. Asorbic acid is bleach basically. Some chemicals in foods will make your joints and tendons swell up. Not sure what they do to the heart but I'm thinking it can't be good. Plenty of foods have vitamin C in them. Yerba Mate tea gives energy way better than caffeine.

I think vitamin C enriched drinks are perfectly safe and healrhy. That's why they enhanced it with vitamin C and other Vitamins and minerals in the first place, to make it healthier. It's just to supplement your drink and to help you reach the RDA. Drinking it along with eating fruits rich with vitamin C and some veggies is healthy.

I remember when I was in high school when flu and common cold was prevalent during the rainy season, my mother would give me a pill to drink. That's ascorbic acid which she said would strengthen my body's immunity against those ailments. And I think my mother was right because we wouldn't get sick while our neighbor's children were down with the flu or the common cold.