Elite Nats picks

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bikerecker, May 12, 2003.

  1. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    The course is supposed to be tough, but not a pure climber's. So, I am thinking the following:

    In the South and mid-South, there are some good guys. Steve Cate (ok, he is Mid-west more than
    South) seems to be REALLY on form, if he goes he is a top seed. Doesn't hurt that he has won the
    thing before. Over to the east, Chris Harkey has been flying all Spring, as have some of his Subaru
    teammates. If Chris hasn't come on too early, he is as good a pick as any amateur in the region. He
    dropped Scottie at Raccoon Mountain a few weeks ago. Proof that Masters national Champions are
    sometimes better than Elite National Champions.

    Waddell seems to have figured out the climbing thing. And he has a stout team.
    Gotta say he is one to watch, based on what I heard about the Joe Martin Race.

    Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he races. He might, since U23 D
    III pros get to race if they so desire.

    Any other standouts to watch for? Greg
    PS, it's not candy ass if you are actually going to be in the race....

    Tags:

  2. Adam Bergman-Bianchi/Grand Performance was riding very well this weekend.

    So was Eric Murphy-Mercy Fitness

    Russ Langley and Ian Dille-Snow Valley will be threats.

    Any of the National Team euro U23 riders like Patrick Mc.

    Don't really know any of the Cali/West Coast guys, except the ever present "vampire"

    Cate and myself are on the same team. We also have some of the best support riders around that are
    each capable of the win as well.

    if the course has as much climbing as it says it does than I will have to die a few times just to
    stay with the leaders, but stranger things have happened.

    See you in 10 days...

    jason

  3. "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The course is supposed to be tough, but not a pure climber's. So, I am thinking the following:
    >
    > In the South and mid-South, there are some good guys. Steve Cate (ok, he is Mid-west more than
    > South) seems to be REALLY on
    form, if
    > he goes he is a top seed. Doesn't hurt that he has won the thing before. Over to the east, Chris
    > Harkey has been flying all Spring, as have some of
    his
    > Subaru teammates. If Chris hasn't come on too early, he is as good a pick
    as
    > any amateur in the region. He dropped Scottie at Raccoon Mountain a few
    weeks
    > ago. Proof that Masters national Champions are sometimes better than
    Elite
    > National Champions.

    Masters National Champions are *always* better than all other riders.

    > Waddell seems to have figured out the climbing thing. And he has a stout
    team.
    > Gotta say he is one to watch, based on what I heard about the Joe Martin
    Race.

    > Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he
    races.
    > He might, since U23 D III pros get to race if they so desire.
    >

    > Any other standouts to watch for?

    As far as I can tell, there are no other good riders besides the ones in the South/mid-South.

    >PS, it's not candy ass if you are actually going to be in the race....

    WOW!

  4. [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Adam Bergman-Bianchi/Grand Performance was riding very well this weekend.
    >
    > So was Eric Murphy-Mercy Fitness
    >
    > Russ Langley and Ian Dille-Snow Valley will be threats.
    >
    > Any of the National Team euro U23 riders like Patrick Mc.
    >
    > Don't really know any of the Cali/West Coast guys, except the ever present "vampire"
    >
    > Cate and myself are on the same team. We also have some of the best support riders around that are
    > each capable of the win as well.
    >
    > if the course has as much climbing as it says it does than I will have to die a few times just to
    > stay with the leaders, but stranger things have happened.
    >
    > See you in 10 days...
    >
    > jason

    Jason,

    Great job in Arkansas, especially the time trial, remembering how it is probably your least favorite
    thing to do on a bike. Best of luck to you and Steve and the Mathis boys at Nats.

    Christian

    PS: Remember Hotter 'n Hell in '99? I was thinking it would be fun to post a story about what
    Gaggioli did after the TT.

  5. Hyllus

    Hyllus Guest

    [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message

    > Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he races. He might, since U23
    > D III pros get to race if they so desire.

    Please have the decency to pull down your pants when talking out your ass so that we can
    all hear you.

    D3, or even D3.5 pros, irregardless of age, are not eligible for the USCF national RR.

    And Scott Zwizanski will win the elite national road race.

    Please continue.

  6. Ryan Barrett

    Ryan Barrett Guest

    Ryan Lane and Chris "Moon" Walker (previously mentioned as "vampire"), although the course will have
    to be pretty hard for him to win. A "no water allowed" rule would also help. thanks, ryan barrett

  7. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Does anyone have any specifics on the course? Anything to compare it too?

    Is it like Gila Hilly or like Housatonic Hilly?

    Thanks in advance. Keith

    > "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The course is supposed to be tough, but not a pure climber's. So, I am thinking the following:
    > >
    > > In the South and mid-South, there are some good guys. Steve Cate (ok, he is Mid-west more than
    > > South) seems to be REALLY on
    > form, if
    > > he goes he is a top seed. Doesn't hurt that he has won the thing before. Over to the east, Chris
    > > Harkey has been flying all Spring, as have some of
    > his
    > > Subaru teammates. If Chris hasn't come on too early, he is as good a pick
    > as
    > > any amateur in the region. He dropped Scottie at Raccoon Mountain a few
    > weeks
    > > ago. Proof that Masters national Champions are sometimes better than
    > Elite
    > > National Champions.
    >

    > Masters National Champions are *always* better than all other riders.
    >

    > > Waddell seems to have figured out the climbing thing. And he has a stout
    > team.
    > > Gotta say he is one to watch, based on what I heard about the Joe Martin
    > Race.
    > >
    > > Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he
    > races.
    > > He might, since U23 D III pros get to race if they so desire.
    > >

    > > Any other standouts to watch for?
    >

    > As far as I can tell, there are no other good riders besides the ones in the South/mid-South.
    >

    > >PS, it's not candy ass if you are actually going to be in the race....
    >

    > WOW!

  8. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    davidsommerville.com for the win.

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The course is supposed to be tough, but not a pure climber's. So, I am thinking the following:
    >
    > In the South and mid-South, there are some good guys. Steve Cate (ok, he is Mid-west more than
    > South) seems to be REALLY on
    form, if
    > he goes he is a top seed. Doesn't hurt that he has won the thing before. Over to the east, Chris
    > Harkey has been flying all Spring, as have some of
    his
    > Subaru teammates. If Chris hasn't come on too early, he is as good a pick
    as
    > any amateur in the region. He dropped Scottie at Raccoon Mountain a few
    weeks
    > ago. Proof that Masters national Champions are sometimes better than
    Elite
    > National Champions.
    >
    > Waddell seems to have figured out the climbing thing. And he has a stout
    team.
    > Gotta say he is one to watch, based on what I heard about the Joe Martin
    Race.

    > Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he
    races.
    > He might, since U23 D III pros get to race if they so desire.
    >

    > Any other standouts to watch for? Greg
    > PS, it's not candy ass if you are actually going to be in the race....

  9. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Scott is an excellent pick.

    After davidsommerville.com of course.

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    "Hyllus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message
    > >
    > > Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he
    races.
    > > He might, since U23 D III pros get to race if they so desire.
    >
    > Please have the decency to pull down your pants when talking out your ass so that we can all
    > hear you.
    >
    > D3, or even D3.5 pros, irregardless of age, are not eligible for the USCF national RR.
    >
    > And Scott Zwizanski will win the elite national road race.
    >
    > Please continue.

  10. "Ryan Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ryan Lane and Chris "Moon" Walker (previously mentioned as "vampire"), although the course
    > will have to be pretty hard for him to win. A "no water allowed" rule would also help. thanks,
    > ryan barrett

    Aren't you forgetting about Chris Daggs?

    That man is a Force to be Reckoned With.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=daggs+reckoned+with+group:rec.bicycles.rac
    ing&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=20000524023231.05869.00000573%40ng-cv1.aol.com&r num=3

    Subcommander Zoltai (undercover in SD)

  11. [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The course is supposed to be tough, but not a pure climber's. So, I am thinking the following:
    >
    > In the South and mid-South, there are some good guys. Steve Cate (ok, he is Mid-west more than
    > South) seems to be REALLY on form, if he goes he is a top seed. Doesn't hurt that he has won the
    > thing before. Over to the east, Chris Harkey has been flying all Spring, as have some of his
    > Subaru teammates. If Chris hasn't come on too early, he is as good a pick as any amateur in the
    > region. He dropped Scottie at Raccoon Mountain a few weeks ago. Proof that Masters national
    > Champions are sometimes better than Elite National Champions.
    >
    > Waddell seems to have figured out the climbing thing. And he has a stout team.
    > Gotta say he is one to watch, based on what I heard about the Joe Martin Race.
    >
    > Might have to look at Saul Raisin, (won the U-23 jersey at TdG), if he races. He might, since U23
    > D III pros get to race if they so desire.
    >

    > Any other standouts to watch for? Greg
    > PS, it's not candy ass if you are actually going to be in the race....

    Doug Ollerenshaw. He goes up hills pretty good.

  12. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    Hyllus the annonymous dick sucker, wrote:
    >Please have the decency to pull down your pants when talking out your ass so that we can all
    >hear you.

    better yet, by your friend Chang. He is your friend, whether you know it or not.

    Greg

  13. "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hyllus the annonymous dick sucker, wrote:
    > >Please have the decency to pull down your pants when talking out your ass so that we can all
    > >hear you.
    > >

    > better yet, by your friend Chang. He is your friend, whether you know it
    or
    > not.

    > Greg

    Dearest Fragileegomeister -

    thanks for trying to get me laid.

  14. Alan Atwood

    Alan Atwood Guest

    One of the hotter but relatively unknown squads is up in Utah, the Healthy Choice/Guru's squad out
    of Salt Lake City. One of 3 or 4 riders from that team could win the RR, and Sandy Perrins is
    definitely a favorite for the TT; won the VOS prologue and took a 3rd at Bisbee this year.

    news:<[email protected]>...