Elites VS SSC SL

G

Has anyone had much experience with the Elites??

Evaluating the purchase at the moment - the saving of 500 odd buckas is looking good... any feedback??

James

Not had any experience other than drooling at them in cycle shops. The interspoke milling on the SL is pretty trick (and saves 40g/wheel). No Zircal spokes on the Elite (and 'normal' spoke nipples).

Are you looking for an out and out race wheelset?

Ksyrium SL's are in short supply, till the 04's come out. The new ones will not be black, and, the weight of the new 04's is not on Mavic's web site. The SL is pretty light, I have one coming in the mail, I asked around, everyone I talked to said they hold up very well, no problems. For people obsessed with grams ( and you know who you are ) $450 is not too much for a quality wheel that is 7.5 oz lighter than the next notch down, and very dependable.

Just picked up a pair of 6 month old primo Elites. They are a huge difference over the old 32 hole muthas. Acceleration is noticeably faster. I shopped wheels for over 3 months before settling on these. As a 190lb rider I needed to avoid the superlight models. The retail price on elites is about 500 versus 800 for the SLs. Either pocket the extra 300 or go buy some Bontrager Race Lites. Unless you are competing at a very high level the few grams of weight savings don't justify the cost. Bottom line....go out there and ride!

Originally posted by capwater
The retail price on elites is about 500 versus 800 for the SLs. Either pocket the extra 300 or go buy some Bontrager Race Lites. Unless you are competing at a very high level the few grams of weight savings don't justify the cost. Bottom line....go out there and ride!

I see lower prices for the SL's now, as I believe the 2004 models are coming out soon. I just got a pair of 2k3 SL's for $600.

I love the Elites, but then I am comparing them to el cheapo road wheels on the old bike.

Where do you ride in the Richmond area? Elites rock big time over stock wheels.

Mostly in the west end along Patterson from Willow lawn area out to West Creek and some out in Short Pump with a buddy that lives out there.

Mostly been riding solo as I try to get my legs back after knee surgery, but I plan on doing a bunch more RABA rides next Spring when I finish Grad School and have more time.

How about yourself? Where do you ride? Have any damage from Isabel? I just got power back after 6 days and still don't have cable internet back.

Ksyrium SL

The only noticeable change for 2004 in Mavic's top-dog wheelset is the color. Instead of black rims and spokes, the 2004 SL has a silver rim, silver hub, and silver spokes, exactly like the Special Edition Tour de France Ksyrium SL you saw on so many pro bikes during the Tour. The machined rim surface in between the spokes doesn't look anywhere near as ostentatious. In fact, the machined areas are completely camouflaged amidst the silver surface of everything else on the wheel. If something silver can be considered stealthy, this wheelset is it. Very sharp. The only structural change between the '03 and the '04 SL is in the front hub. Say goodbye to aluminum, and hello to carbon fiber. The composite hub shell is painted silver to match the rest of the wheel. Interestingly, the spoke heads are exposed. At first glance you might think the hub bearings are exposed to the elements, but they're just as well-sealed as their predecessors.