Ellsworth Truth for big guys?

maximilian

Jul 6, 2004
I have the opportunity to purchase an Ellsworth Truth that I'll use as an xc/am bike. The thing is, I go about 240, and even in perfect shape, I will only get down around 210-215. I keep hearing about superlight frames like Ellsworth's NOT being able to take abuse from a big rider.

Opinions? Should I skip this purchase?

Originally posted by maximilian
I have the opportunity to purchase an Ellsworth Truth that I'll use as an xc/am bike. The thing is, I go about 240, and even in perfect shape, I will only get down around 210-215. I keep hearing about superlight frames like Ellsworth's NOT being able to take abuse from a big rider.

Opinions? Should I skip this purchase?

I think the Ellsworth is a great bike and shouldn't give you any trouble because the suspension should absorb the abuse. Keep in mind that aluminum does have a fatigue life where you could experience stress cracks after a couple years of hard use. I have experienced aluminum failures with Cannondale's, which are built primarily of large diameter thin wall tubes. I weigh 180.

If your budget allows, then I highly recommend the Litespeed Niota Ti. Check out Titanium bikes from Moots, Merlin, and others. Titanium is extremely light weight and strong. It would be the best insurance policy against frame breakage for someone your size.