Ellsworth vs. Turner?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michaelr, May 15, 2003.

  1. Michaelr

    Michaelr Guest

    Any thoughts here on a comparison between these two frames? I am leaning towards the Turner Burner
    over the Ellsworth Truth, mainly 'cause its $500 cheaper.

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 15 May 2003 16:06:41 GMT, michaelR <[email protected]> wrote:

    |Any thoughts here on a comparison between these two frames? I am leaning |towards the Turner Burner
    over the Ellsworth Truth, mainly 'cause its
    |$500 cheaper.

    I can't imagine how Turner's customer service could be any worse than Ellsworth's horrible
    customer service.

    The Truth rides well, ,especially if you get rid of the air shock and replace it with a Romic.

    IF you get one, just pray that you don't have to deal with Ellsworth for after sale "service."

  3. "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Truth rides well, ,especially if you get rid of the air shock and replace it with a Romic.

    Speaking of the Romic, I just rebuilt my AD10, and although I now have my rebound dampening back,
    something tells me it may not be long till I lose it again. I have a '99 Truth, which Ellsworth
    tells me can take the Romic just like the newer models. I've heard talk of better small bump
    performance, better adjustability, less pedal induced movement. Would you agree? Did you ride the
    AD10 before switching to the Romic? Anything else I should be aware of?
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  4. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The Truth rides well, ,especially if you get rid of the air shock and replace it with a Romic.
    >

    > Speaking of the Romic, I just rebuilt my AD10, and although I now have my rebound dampening back,
    > something tells me it may not be long till I lose
    it
    > again. I have a '99 Truth, which Ellsworth tells me can take the Romic just like the newer models.
    > I've heard talk of better small bump performance, better adjustability, less pedal induced
    > movement. Would you agree? Did you ride the AD10 before switching to the Romic? Anything else I
    > should be aware
    of?
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Do you run a Lizard Skin on the AD10? I'm on my 3rd season (about 2,200 miles) on mine and it's
    working great still. It keeps dirt out of the seals pretty well but it does require some occasional
    cleaning to make sure any dirt that makes it's way in there gets cleaned out. It does provide some
    good protection.

    Greg

  5. On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:14:36 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> The Truth rides well, ,especially if you get rid of the air shock and replace it with a Romic.
    >

    >Speaking of the Romic, I just rebuilt my AD10, and although I now have my rebound dampening back,
    >something tells me it may not be long till I lose it again. I have a '99 Truth, which Ellsworth
    >tells me can take the Romic just like the newer models. I've heard talk of better small bump
    >performance, better adjustability, less pedal induced movement. Would you agree? Did you ride the
    >AD10 before switching to the Romic? Anything else I should be aware of?

    The Romic is simply better all around. More active, more adjustable, better rebound control, etc.

    It truly makes the bikes significantly different.

    Before the Romic I had a Fox Float R and then an RLC.

  6. "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > The Truth rides well, ,especially if you get rid of the air shock and replace it with a Romic.
    > >

    > > Speaking of the Romic, I just rebuilt my AD10, and although I now have
    my
    > > rebound dampening back, something tells me it may not be long till I
    lose
    > it
    > > again. I have a '99 Truth, which Ellsworth tells me can take the Romic just
    like
    > > the newer models. I've heard talk of better small bump performance,
    better
    > > adjustability, less pedal induced movement. Would you agree? Did you
    ride
    > > the AD10 before switching to the Romic? Anything else I should be aware
    > of?
    > > --
    > > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    >
    > Do you run a Lizard Skin on the AD10? I'm on my 3rd season (about 2,200 miles) on mine and it's
    > working great still. It keeps dirt out of the
    seals
    > pretty well but it does require some occasional cleaning to make sure any dirt that makes it's way
    > in there gets cleaned out. It does provide some good protection.
    >
    > Greg

    I did run the Lizard Skin for a while, but decided it trapped more crap in there then was necessary.
    My problem was not that it leaked, but somehow one of the pieces warped. It has a seal on the
    outside and a whole in the middle that handles all the rebound and compression dampening. The seal
    in the whole was shot, no rebound dampening.

    After spending way too much money on bikes this year (2 new road bikes, new brakes, lots of new
    clothes, tires, and more) I just have to figure out how to get a new Romic out of my SWMBO.

    And now for the rest of the story ... The easiest way to get this new shock for my bike would be to
    get my wife a new mountain bike. Of course that raises the price by a factor or 5. Having a SO who
    is into biking like I am is usually great, but it does raise the costs a bit.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  7. "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:14:36 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> The Truth rides well, ,especially if you get rid of the air shock and replace it with a Romic.
    > >

    > >Speaking of the Romic, I just rebuilt my AD10, and although I now have my rebound dampening back,
    > >something tells me it may not be long till I lose
    it
    > >again. I have a '99 Truth, which Ellsworth tells me can take the Romic just like the newer
    > >models. I've heard talk of better small bump performance,
    better
    > >adjustability, less pedal induced movement. Would you agree? Did you ride the AD10 before
    > >switching to the Romic? Anything else I should be aware
    of?

    > The Romic is simply better all around. More active, more adjustable, better rebound control, etc.
    >
    > It truly makes the bikes significantly different.
    >
    > Before the Romic I had a Fox Float R and then an RLC.

    Thanks, I believe one is in my future ... which probably means a new mountain bike for my wife.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  8. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >The Romic is simply better all around. More active, more adjustable, better rebound control, etc.
    >
    >It truly makes the bikes significantly different.
    >
    >Before the Romic I had a Fox Float R and then an RLC.

    If you were ordering a Romic and one of spring strength cutoff points was at, say 200 lbs and you
    weighed exactly 200, which way would you go? Heavier or lighter spring?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  9. On Fri, 16 May 2003 23:02:40 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |RE/
    |>The Romic is simply better all around. More active, more adjustable, better rebound control, etc.
    |>
    |>It truly makes the bikes significantly different.
    |>
    |>Before the Romic I had a Fox Float R and then an RLC.
    |
    |If you were ordering a Romic and one of spring strength cutoff points was at, |say 200 lbs and you
    weighed exactly 200, which way would you go? Heavier or |lighter spring?

    Damn. Tough question.

    I'm 175 and use a 600# spring on my Truth and the preload adjustment is right in the middle with
    plenty of room either way.

    The preload adjustment range is pretty huge, more than an inch.

    http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/romictruth.jpg

    On my ID, because the leverage is different, I only run a 400# spring.

    The guys at Romic are relaly good on the phone. I would give them a call.