Embarrasing bike pants question

Do I need a jock or cup under bicycle shorts. If I go naked I get the
David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun. Even with a jock ...
Are the pants just too small then?

[email protected] wrote:

> Do I need a jock or cup under bicycle shorts. If I go naked I get the
> David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun. Even with a jock
> ... Are the pants just too small then?

If things are feeling squished then yes, they're too small. The whole idea of
bike shorts is to eliminate extra layers and seams, which could cause chafe.
However, while they should be form fitting, they definately shouldn't feel
tight.

Matt O.

On 27 Mar 2005 12:47:16 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>So, a jock is not the answer?

Uh, no.

Buying black shorts, and black shorts only helps. Male cyclists should only wear
black shorts and only black shorts. You probably aren't making as proud a
statement as you think, anyway.

Properly fitted black shorts don't present too sharp an outline as it is.

Ron
PS: stick with the black shorts.

RonSonic wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2005 12:47:16 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> So, a jock is not the answer?

> Uh, no.
>
> Buying black shorts, and black shorts only helps. Male cyclists
> should only wear black shorts and only black shorts. You probably
> aren't making as proud a statement as you think, anyway.
>
> Properly fitted black shorts don't present too sharp an outline as it
> is.
>
> Ron
> PS: stick with the black shorts.

So Ron, what color shorts do you recommend?

"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >So Ron, what color shorts do you recommend?

> Not red.

May I also argue against silver? My husband had a pair of silver bib shorts.
I did a metric century with him in the rain, and the bike he was riding
didn't have fenders. A great deal of muddy water got kicked up on to the
rear of his shorts. Not only did the silver fabric turn transparent, but the
mud looked like...well...it was not a pretty picture.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fortunately I have the opposite problem. I'm walking around like I have
> a zucchini in my pants. I don't see this only other bikers. How do they
> hide it?

Their imaginations are not nearly as large as yours.

Veloise wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>...If I go naked I get the
>>David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun...

> Who is David Lee Roth, and how does this relate to your statement? A
> URL would be helpful.
>
> --Karen M.
> inquiring minds want to know! I don't listen to whatever kind of music
> DLR plays, and there's only one reason I know who Sheryl Crowe is.

I don't want to see David Lee Roth naked, or you, I don't think so at
least, or I hope not. Sheryl 'Armstrong' Crow the new writer of bicycle
love songs. At least she does ride with Lance sometimes, sort of. A
total layback for Lance while watching Sheryl puff up a hill. Of course
he should let her lead for two obvious reasons, for the male hormones at
least.
Bill Baka

I wrote:
> > Who is David Lee Roth, and how does this relate to your

statement? A
> > URL would be helpful...
> > inquiring minds want to know! I don't listen to whatever kind of

music
> > DLR plays, and there's only one reason I know who Sheryl Crowe is.

and Bill Baka's kitten stumbled across the keys and sent this
"response":
> I don't want to see David Lee Roth naked, or you, I don't think so at

> least, or I hope not. Sheryl 'Armstrong' Crow the new writer of

bicycle
> love songs. At least she does ride with Lance sometimes, sort of. A
> total layback for Lance while watching Sheryl puff up a hill. Of

course
> he should let her lead for two obvious reasons, for the male hormones

at
> least.

Here we see the effects of consuming too many Peeps prior to doing
UseNet.
Don't make me google this myself on dial-up. WTF is David Lee Roth?
(And what kind of bike does he ride?)

--Karen M.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:42:45 -0800, bbaka wrote:

>> Who is David Lee Roth, and how does this relate to your statement? A
>> URL would be helpful.
>>
>> --Karen M.

> I don't want to see David Lee Roth naked, or you,

Hey, don't sell Karen short. You never know, you might very well want to
see her naked..

But we still don't know who David Lee Roth is.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

bbaka <[email protected]> wrote:

>David L. Johnson wrote:

>>>I don't want to see David Lee Roth naked, or you,

>> Hey, don't sell Karen short. You never know, you might very well want to
>> see her naked..
>>
>> But we still don't know who David Lee Roth is.
>>

>Rock Star.
>I don't listen to that much anymore, nor does my 26 year old daughter
>since classic floats her boat. Anyway think rock and loud.
>Bill Baka

More specifically: original front man of Van Halen. Son of a
prominent Beverly Hills ophthalmologist. Known for a raucous (in a
good way) voice and tremendous on-stage feats of athleticism.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:47:31 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> >So Ron, what color shorts do you recommend?

>> Not red.

>May I also argue against silver? My husband had a pair of silver bib shorts.
>I did a metric century with him in the rain, and the bike he was riding
>didn't have fenders. A great deal of muddy water got kicked up on to the
>rear of his shorts. Not only did the silver fabric turn transparent, but the
>mud looked like...well...it was not a pretty picture.

There was a photo in the cycling press of a pro team wearing white shorts in the
rain demonstrating exactly that phenomenon. Tragically the photo was taken from
a motorcycle following the team.

Whatever are they thinking when they make decisions like that. I can understand
an amateur not thinking it through; and sponsors might design such a kit without
considering everything, but team managers know they race in the rain and they
know what happens.

Oh well.

Ron

On 27 Mar 2005 17:52:00 -0800, "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here we see the effects of consuming too many Peeps prior to doing
>UseNet.
> Don't make me google this myself on dial-up. WTF is David Lee Roth?
>(And what kind of bike does he ride?)

DLR was the singer for Van Halen, you know the rock band from the 80s, when
spandex was part of the uniform and hard rock acts would strive to project,
ahem, a powerful, as it were, image. You know, put forward a, uh, virile, er,
presence on stage, Yeah, that's it project a powerful presence on stage. And
yes, socks and codpieces are as much a part of stagewear as are wigs.

Ron

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:38:40 GMT,
<[email protected]>, Neil Brooks
<[email protected]> wrote:

>More specifically: original front man of Van Halen. Son of a
>prominent Beverly Hills ophthalmologist. Known for a raucous (in a
>good way) voice and tremendous on-stage feats of athleticism.

Now he's an irrelevant fat bald old guy.
--
zk

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:38:40 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, Neil Brooks
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>More specifically: original front man of Van Halen. Son of a
>>prominent Beverly Hills ophthalmologist. Known for a raucous (in a
>>good way) voice and tremendous on-stage feats of athleticism.

> Now he's an irrelevant fat bald old guy.

So we should be seeing him here soon, no?

RichC (irrelevant formerly fat bald old guy)

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:35:08 -0500, <[email protected]>,
> "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>Now he's an irrelevant fat bald old guy.

>>So we should be seeing him here soon, no?

> <alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent>

What Zoot meant to type was <alt.rec.bicycles.fabrizio.mazzoleni>. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

[email protected] wrote:
> Do I need a jock or cup under bicycle shorts. If I go naked I get the
> David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun. Even with a jock

> Are the pants just too small then?

Some shorts are more revealing than others (fit, pad, weight, color,
etc.). I usually prefer to wear synthetic t-shirts rather than jerseys
anyway (which are long enough to cover). If you're out for a fast ride,
that's one thing, but if you're doing long rides with time off the bike
around non-cyclists, less racey apparel may be more appropriate.