Embarrassing Question !!!

EasyDoesIt

Apr 11, 2005
Hi all

I've just bought a set of Campag Zonda wheels and i'm wondering do i need rim tape on the inside of the wheel or is it ok to just put the tube and tire straight on. Kinda too embarrassed to ask the question in a bike shop cos it's probably obvious i don't need rim tape ! Please save my blushes !

EasyDoesIt said:
Hi all

I've just bought a set of Campag Zonda wheels and i'm wondering do i need rim tape on the inside of the wheel or is it ok to just put the tube and tire straight on. Kinda too embarrassed to ask the question in a bike shop cos it's probably obvious i don't need rim tape ! Please save my blushes !

Older Zondas had spoke nipple holes and needed rim tape. If you have the newer ones, there are no holes in the inner surface of the rim and no rim tape is necessary.

EasyDoesIt said:
Hi all

Not sure about the Zonda's but my '05 Eurus' came with a flat plastic stip that snaps into place covering the holes. If there are holes, then you need rim strips or tape. If the rim is smooth, you don't.

PeterF said:
Not sure about the Zonda's but my '05 Eurus' came with a flat plastic stip that snaps into place covering the holes. If there are holes, then you need rim strips or tape. If the rim is smooth, you don't.

My Zondas also came with the plastic strip. But, these were older ones with the G3/G4 spoking.

Thanks everyone,

The inside of the rim is completely smooth apart from where it's joined up so was thinking i didn't need the rim tape, just wanted to be sure, now i just wish the frame would arrive !!

Thanks again all