Emergency Discharge Tube; When Conventional Lights Aren't Bright Enough

Bret Cahill

Guest
Instant sunshine.

A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
the multifarad capacitor. If everything goes OK then you simply save
the charge for the next intersection.

On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
off the strobe.

Relatively low power consumption can save lives.

Bret Cahill

"Bret Cahill" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1165711719.299327.87020@
79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

> Instant sunshine.
>
> A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
> the multifarad capacitor. If everything goes OK then you simply save
> the charge for the next intersection.
>
> On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
> off the strobe.
>
> Relatively low power consumption can save lives.
>

> Bret Cahill

Unfortunately, it's not legal in most states. Especially since emergency
vehicles use strobes to trigger the traffic signals.

Cheers,
David

Per Bret Cahill:
>On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
>off the strobe.

Seems predicated on the assumption that the motorist didn't see me in the first
place and would alter their behavior once they did.
--
PeteCresswell

> > Instant sunshine.
>
> > A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
> > the multifarad capacitor.  If everything goes OK then you simply save
> > the charge for the next intersection.

> > On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
> > off the strobe.

> > Relatively low power consumption can save lives.

> Unfortunately, it's not legal in most states. Especially since emergency
> vehicles use strobes to trigger the traffic signals.

Cyclists can get that changed where I live.

In any other place they can explain that to you later.

At least you will still be alive.

Bret Cahill

On 9 Dec 2006 16:48:39 -0800, "Bret Cahill" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Instant sunshine.
>
>A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
>the multifarad capacitor. If everything goes OK then you simply save
>the charge for the next intersection.
>
>On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
>off the strobe.
>
>Relatively low power consumption can save lives.

Why the multifarad capacitor? There are many strobe lights that can
run from 6 to 12 volts. Or even 3 volts. A 1+ farad capacitor good
for any reasonable discharge rate will weigh more than batteries and
cost more too.

Bret Cahill wrote:
> Instant sunshine.
>
> A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
> the multifarad capacitor. If everything goes OK then you simply save
> the charge for the next intersection.
>
> On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
> off the strobe.
>
> Relatively low power consumption can save lives.
>

> Bret Cahill

Two words: target fixation ;)
--
Phil

Bret Cahill <[email protected]> wrote:
> In any other place they can explain that to you later.
>
> At least you will still be alive.

It might not be all that hard to justify. Simply mount a
cheap flash equipped camera (Ok, Big Flash, cheap camera)
and say the photos are meant to simplify the inquest.

:cool:

bob prohaska

On 9 Dec 2006 16:48:39 -0800, "Bret Cahill" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Instant sunshine.
>
>A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
>the multifarad capacitor. If everything goes OK then you simply save
>the charge for the next intersection.
>
>On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
>off the strobe.
>
>Relatively low power consumption can save lives.

Anything that startles a driver can cause lapse of judgemental
ability; do you really want to do something that might *cause* a
collision? The place to employ a bright strobe is far enough back
from, and long enough before your entry into the intersection that no
one there is going to be flipped into freeze or panic mode by it.

Also, beware of the hazards of playing with large capacitors. They
bite.

> > At least you will still be alive.

>It might not be all that hard to justify. Simply mount a
> cheap flash equipped camera (Ok, Big Flash, cheap camera)
> and say the photos are meant to simplify the inquest.

> :cool:

> bob prohaska

I'm a photographer now! At this time of year I do at least 6 mi/day at
night which is more dangerous than 100 miles during daylight.

Bret Cahill

"bob prohaska's usenet account" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bret Cahill <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In any other place they can explain that to you later.
> >
> > At least you will still be alive.

> It might not be all that hard to justify. Simply mount a
> cheap flash equipped camera (Ok, Big Flash, cheap camera)
> and say the photos are meant to simplify the inquest.
>
> :cool:
>
> bob prohaska

Better tried by 12 than carried by 6....

I briefly tried my hand at photography many years ago. I had a huge
Graflex strobe with a 510V battery which weighed about 10 Lbs. by itself.
It could cause permanent retinal damage up close. ;-)

Chas.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On 9 Dec 2006 16:48:39 -0800, "Bret Cahill" <[email protected]> may
> have said:
>
> >Instant sunshine.
> >
> >A few seconds before the dangerous intersection you'ld start charging
> >the multifarad capacitor. If everything goes OK then you simply save
> >the charge for the next intersection.
> >
> >On the other hand, if a motorist appears to not see you, then you set
> >off the strobe.
> >
> >Relatively low power consumption can save lives.

> Anything that startles a driver can cause lapse of judgemental
> ability; do you really want to do something that might *cause* a
> collision? The place to employ a bright strobe is far enough back
> from, and long enough before your entry into the intersection that no
> one there is going to be flipped into freeze or panic mode by it.
>
> Also, beware of the hazards of playing with large capacitors. They
> bite.

Years ago I had a Graflex Stroboflash portable strobe. The power unit had
6 2" x 6" cans (capacitors) and a 510V battery that weighed about 10 Lbs.
by itself. I got bit by the beast through a faulty cord one time. It set
me on my butt!

The flash was great though, it could ruin your night vision for several
days! ;-)

Chas.

news:[email protected]...

Moreover you could **** them off. Hit & run is really easy at night.

> do you really want to do something that might *cause* a
> collision? The place to employ a bright strobe is far enough back
> from, and long enough before your entry into the intersection that no
> one there is going to be flipped into freeze or panic mode by it.

Mostly they are still asleep at 6:15 am but your point should be taken
into consideration no matter what.

> Also, beware of the hazards of playing with large capacitors. They
> bite.

Are the old flash bulbs still available?

Maybe a magnesium fire would work.

Bret Cahill

Flash Bang - Shock and Awe in the morning!

Chas.