Emergency Gum Surgery Requried at OLN

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Greatcube, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Greatcube

    Greatcube Guest

    The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob Roll, because he has to appear
    genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary. Gum in France is sort of like "Daisy Mae
    Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there anguille de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras
    de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and ketchup on the side"). Each time Gum takes a shot at
    a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more to
    damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq invasion.

    Tags:

  2. "GreatCube" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's
    > continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq invasion.

    Still not as bad as the San Francisco area sportscasters. On two different station they announced
    that the winner of Stage 7 was Rich-ard Vir-En-Key

    -T

  3. Robert Crim

    Robert Crim Guest

    On 15 Jul 2003 10:46:03 -0700, [email protected] (GreatCube) wrote:

    >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob Roll, because he has to appear
    >genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary.

    Bob's interest is not feigned and it's not in her commentary.........

    >Gum in France is sort of like "Daisy Mae Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there
    >anguille de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and
    >ketchup on the side").

    Daisy Mae was hot. "Golly gee, wiz, that's a BIG one."

    >Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe.

    So what? Who cares?

    >OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq
    >invasion.

    So what? Who cares?

    In conclusion, I rather like Ms. Gum. She is a nice, pleasant change from the sugary bullshit of
    Karsten and his ilk. She asks the same questions my wife asks. She doesn't pretend to know all about
    it....like Posey (a car driver forGod'ssake) or the posers from the past. She looks
    good.....although she could dress better than those
    i.u. Bean prison clothes.....and I can tell when the commercials are coming.

    If you want a shaved legged, spandex wearing Logo monkey to stir your juices, you could always head
    for the bathroom with your copy of Velo News when she comes on.

    Just my humble opinion.

    Robert

  4. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    GreatCube <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob Roll, because he has to appear
    > genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary. Gum in France is sort of like "Daisy Mae
    > Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there anguille de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras
    > de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and ketchup on the side"). Each time Gum takes a shot
    > at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do
    > more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq invasion.

    Focus on the PIrate and his beverage..

  5. Robert Crim wrote:

    > On 15 Jul 2003 10:46:03 -0700, [email protected] (GreatCube) wrote:
    >
    > >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob Roll, because he has to appear
    > >genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary.
    >
    > Bob's interest is not feigned and it's not in her commentary.........
    >
    > >Gum in France is sort of like "Daisy Mae Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there
    > >anguille de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and
    > >ketchup on the side").
    >
    > Daisy Mae was hot. "Golly gee, wiz, that's a BIG one."
    >
    > >Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe.
    >
    > So what? Who cares?
    >
    > >OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq
    > >invasion.
    >
    > So what? Who cares?
    >
    > In conclusion, I rather like Ms. Gum. She is a nice, pleasant change from the sugary bullshit
    > of Karsten and his ilk. She asks the same questions my wife asks. She doesn't pretend to know
    > all about
    > it....like Posey (a car driver forGod'ssake) or the posers from the past. She looks
    > good.....although she could dress better than those
    > L.L. Bean prison clothes.....and I can tell when the commercials are coming.
    >
    > If you want a shaved legged, spandex wearing Logo monkey to stir your juices, you could always
    > head for the bathroom with your copy of Velo News when she comes on.
    >
    > Just my humble opinion.
    >
    > Robert

    Ha! Logo Monkey! Didn't they open for the Stones one year?

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

  6. Robert Crim

    Robert Crim Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:28:04 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Robert Crim wrote:
    >
    >> On 15 Jul 2003 10:46:03 -0700, [email protected] (GreatCube) wrote:
    >>
    >> >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob Roll, because he has to
    >> >appear genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary.
    >>
    >> Bob's interest is not feigned and it's not in her commentary.........
    >>
    >> >Gum in France is sort of like "Daisy Mae Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there
    >> >anguille de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and
    >> >ketchup on the side").
    >>
    >> Daisy Mae was hot. "Golly gee, wiz, that's a BIG one."
    >>
    >> >Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe.
    >>
    >> So what? Who cares?
    >>
    >> >OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq
    >> >invasion.
    >>
    >> So what? Who cares?
    >>
    >> In conclusion, I rather like Ms. Gum. She is a nice, pleasant change from the sugary bullshit
    >> of Karsten and his ilk. She asks the same questions my wife asks. She doesn't pretend to know
    >> all about
    >> it....like Posey (a car driver forGod'ssake) or the posers from the past. She looks
    >> good.....although she could dress better than those
    >> L.L. Bean prison clothes.....and I can tell when the commercials are coming.
    >>
    >> If you want a shaved legged, spandex wearing Logo monkey to stir your juices, you could always
    >> head for the bathroom with your copy of Velo News when she comes on.
    >>
    >> Just my humble opinion.
    >>
    >> Robert
    >
    > Ha! Logo Monkey! Didn't they open for the Stones one year?
    >
    >Steve

    No, but they did open stoned often.

    R.

  7. In article <%oXQa.1294$M%[email protected]>, "Tom Schulenburg"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "GreatCube" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's
    > > continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq
    > > invasion.
    > >

    > Still not as bad as the San Francisco area sportscasters. On two different station they announced
    > that the winner of Stage 7 was Rich-ard Vir-En-Key
    >
    > -T

    Or the doofus at CBC who pronounced it "richard veronique" or the CNN guy who prounounced "ullrich"
    as "ullritch". I hate to think if he had to pronounce Michael Boogerd!

  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I was ok with Gum until she asked if Joseba Beloki crashed because of "inexperience." I wondered at
    the cheeky irony of it all.

    M.

    news:[email protected]...

  9. Robert Crim wrote in message
    >She doesn't pretend to know all about
    >it....like Posey (a car driver forGod'ssake) or the posers from the past. She looks
    > good.....although she could dress better than those
    >L.L. Bean prison clothes.....

    The L.L. Bean green shirt is not her color. And its cut is hideous for her.

    Prison garb perhaps--or Armed Service fatigues.

    But since she is on for about 90 seconds a day (I usually don't watch the pre-race show) I think I
    can deal with it.

  10. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Robert Crim wrote:

    > If you want a shaved legged, spandex wearing Logo monkey to stir your juices, you could always
    > head for the bathroom with your copy of Velo News when she comes on.
    >
    > Just my humble opinion.
    >
    > Robert

    That's a POTM nominee.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, "Edward Waffle"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Robert Crim wrote in message
    > >She doesn't pretend to know all about
    > >it....like Posey (a car driver forGod'ssake) or the posers from the past. She looks
    > > good.....although she could dress better than those
    > >L.L. Bean prison clothes.....
    >
    > The L.L. Bean green shirt is not her color. And its cut is hideous for her.
    >
    > Prison garb perhaps--or Armed Service fatigues.
    >
    > But since she is on for about 90 seconds a day (I usually don't watch the pre-race show) I think I
    > can deal with it.

    Blondes should not wear green!!

    For the most part, I skip over that stuff, although I like Bob Roll. She's just a network bimbo they
    put in to make the whole thing more "accessible" to the cycling-ignorant public. They have a point
    though. Like Bob said yesterday, this is a way to get people to understand cycling 101 and get them
    interested in watching it.

  12. On 15 Jul 2003 10:46:03 -0700, [email protected] (GreatCube) wrote:

    >ketchup on the side"). Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen
    >cringe. OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the
    >Iraq invasion.

    ...couple her with Bob "Tour Day France" Roll and you complete the set. Neither of them can
    pronounce Virenque, Vinokourov and probably a host of others as well.
    ---
    Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

  13. User968758

    User968758 Guest

    >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob Roll, because he has to appear
    >genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary. Gum in France is sort of like "Daisy Mae
    >Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there anguille de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras
    >de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and ketchup on the side"). Each time Gum takes a shot
    >at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more
    >to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq invasion.

    What a pathetic tirade. Grow up.

  14. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    User968758 wrote: << >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob
    >Roll, because he has to appear genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary. Gum in
    >France is sort of like "Daisy Mae Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there anguille de
    >Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and ketchup on the
    >side"). Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's
    >continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq invasion.

    What a pathetic tirade. Grow up. >>

    I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down the program to appeal to
    new viewers. Phil, Paul, and Bob analyze the race in a very compelling and clear manner. Kirsten is
    eye candy for the breaks,

  15. "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down
    the
    > program to appeal to new viewers.

    For the non-hardcore cycling fan (most of this nation).

  16. Robert Crim

    Robert Crim Guest

    On 17 Jul 2003 16:22:17 GMT, [email protected] (Mike Krueger) wrote:

    >User968758 wrote: << >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob
    >>Roll, because he has to appear genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary. Gum in
    >>France is sort of like "Daisy Mae Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there anguille de
    >>Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and ketchup on the
    >>side"). Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe. OLN's
    >>continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq invasion.
    >
    >What a pathetic tirade. Grow up. >>
    >
    >I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down the program to appeal to
    >new viewers. Phil, Paul, and Bob analyze the race in a very compelling and clear manner. Kirsten is
    >eye candy for the breaks,

    When there is a "Bike Racing Network" I imagine that there will be lots of cool guys in tight shorts
    holding up the latest carbon fiber handlebars and touting the best shifting titanium derailleurs
    during the station/commercial breaks.

    Let's not hold our breaths, eh?

    In the meantime, try to think back to the time *before* OLN and their "lameo" hot
    chicks........uhhhhhhhhh.........what was that?

    ABC wide world of sports on Saturday for about 7 minutes of in-depth analysis by such notables
    like, like, like who? Karsten? The Longfellow of cycling, also better known as a football player?
    Sam Posey, the master of the four minute specials on Hinault, also better known as a guy who
    raced cars??

    Please!! Get down on your collective knees and thank OLN for the coverage and send them emails
    galore promising to support those paying advertisers that really do care about who else is watching
    the coverage besides obsessed bikers with no purchasing power.

    Besides, all those biker guys are in the bathroom with their copies of Velo-News doing God knows
    what for the 6 minutes it takes to sell a Lincoln or a Subaru.

    They can't drive anyway.

    Robert

  17. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > User968758 wrote: << >The real hero of this year's Tour is not Tyler Hamilton...it's Bob
    > >Roll, because he has to appear genuinely interested in Kirsten Gum's banal commentary. Gum in
    > >France is sort of like "Daisy Mae Goes to Paris" ("Golly, gee wiz....I want that-there anguille
    > >de Loire fumée, copeaux de foie gras de canard à la croque au sel with hot sauce and ketchup on
    > >the side"). Each time Gum takes a shot at a French pronunciation, 60 million Frenchmen cringe.
    > >OLN's continuance with Kirsten will do more to damage the Franco-US relationship than the Iraq
    > >invasion.
    >
    > What a pathetic tirade. Grow up. >>
    >
    > I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down the program to appeal to
    > new viewers. Phil, Paul, and Bob analyze the race in a very compelling and clear manner. Kirsten
    > is eye candy for the breaks,

    I agree with your sentiment, and would rather do away with Gum. But if that's what it takes to reach
    a large enough audience to ensure TDF coverage year after year, bring on the Gum!

    Rick

  18. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down
    > the
    >> program to appeal to new viewers.

    > For the non-hardcore cycling fan (most of this nation).

    For fans of the Labatt's bear...

  19. hbarta

    hbarta Guest

    Mike Krueger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down the program to appeal to
    > new viewers. Phil, Paul, and Bob analyze the race in a very compelling and clear manner. Kirsten
    > is eye candy for the breaks,

    As one of the unwashed masses, I appreciate them dumbing it down so I can understand more about
    what is going on. But they're not doing it for me alone. The sponsors will pay for commercial
    time based on the viewership. If the dumbing down (and the pretty girl) helps more people
    understand and enjoy and watch, we are more likely to continue to see good coverage.

    We can't all be as knowledgeable as the elite racers.

  20. "Robert Crim" <[email protected]>

    > When there is a "Bike Racing Network" I imagine that there will be lots of cool guys in tight
    > shorts holding up the latest carbon fiber handlebars and touting the best shifting titanium
    > derailleurs during the station/commercial breaks.

    When there is a bike racing network, it will be because the sport has grown into popular culture and
    WON'T be dependent on bike companies to be the advertisers.