Emergency Gum Surgery Requried at OLN

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Greatcube, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Robert Crim

    Robert Crim Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:22:28 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Robert Crim" <[email protected]>
    >>
    >> When there is a "Bike Racing Network" I imagine that there will be lots of cool guys in tight
    >> shorts holding up the latest carbon fiber handlebars and touting the best shifting titanium
    >> derailleurs during the station/commercial breaks.
    >>

    >When there is a bike racing network, it will be because the sport has grown into popular culture
    >and WON'T be dependent on bike companies to be the advertisers.

    That will be when either broadcasting get dirts cheap or pigs fly out of some people's butts.

    I've been at it for over 40 years now and I'm still considered a weirdo for riding a bike instead of
    taking the car.

    Robert

  2. "Robert Crim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:22:28 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Robert Crim" <[email protected]>
    > >>
    > >> When there is a "Bike Racing Network" I imagine that there will be lots of cool guys in tight
    > >> shorts holding up the latest carbon fiber handlebars and touting the best shifting titanium
    > >> derailleurs during the station/commercial breaks.
    > >>

    > >When there is a bike racing network, it will be because the sport has
    grown
    > >into popular culture and WON'T be dependent on bike companies to be the advertisers.
    > >
    > That will be when either broadcasting get dirts cheap or pigs fly out of some people's butts.
    >
    > I've been at it for over 40 years now and I'm still considered a weirdo for riding a bike instead
    > of taking the car.
    >
    > Robert

  3. "Robert Crim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:22:28 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Robert Crim" <[email protected]>
    > >>
    > >> When there is a "Bike Racing Network" I imagine that there will be lots of cool guys in tight
    > >> shorts holding up the latest carbon fiber handlebars and touting the best shifting titanium
    > >> derailleurs during the station/commercial breaks.
    > >>

    > >When there is a bike racing network, it will be because the sport has
    grown
    > >into popular culture and WON'T be dependent on bike companies to be the advertisers.
    > >
    > That will be when either broadcasting get dirts cheap or pigs fly out of some people's butts.
    >
    > I've been at it for over 40 years now and I'm still considered a weirdo for riding a bike instead
    > of taking the car.
    >
    > Robert

    Even on a global scale, look how many major sponsors have products worldwide? Yes, the USPS is that
    way as was Motorola, but (taking the Tier 1 list):

    LANDBOUWKREDIET - COLNAGO LOTTO - DOMO PALMANS - COLLSTROP QUICK STEP - DAVITAMON TEAM CSC TEAM
    FAKTA EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI IBANESTO.COM KELME - COSTA BLANCA ONCE - EROSKI AG2R PREVOYANCE BRIOCHES
    LA BOULANGERE COFIDIS, LE CREDIT PAR TELEPHONE CREDIT AGRICOLE FDJEUX.COM JEAN DELATOUR TEAM BIANCHI
    GEROLSTEINER TEAM TELEKOM ALESSIO DOMINA VACANZE - ELITRON FASSA BORTOLO LAMPRE SAECO - MACCHINE PER
    CAFFE VINI CALDIROLA - SO.DI RABOBANK CCC POLSAT MILANEZA - MSS PHONAK HEARING SYSTEMS US POSTAL
    SERVICE PRESENTED BY BERRY FLOOR

    How many of these sponsors are even multi-national, even within Europe?

    I think from a business standpoint, the sophistication and viewership of cycling is weak compared to
    other sports, particularly top level motor racing and football (soccer).

    You're more likely to see a Soccer Channel in the future than a Bike Racing Channel (Speed Channel
    being on its way to becoming the NASCAR Channel).

  4. Mike Krueger wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...

    >I agree with the OP. I don't understand why OLN feels it has to dumb down
    the
    >program to appeal to new viewers. Phil, Paul, and Bob analyze the race in a very compelling and
    >clear manner. Kirsten is eye candy for the breaks,

    OLN needs to attract as many viewers as possible. To do so they need to dumb down the program. Phil
    and Paul are superb commentators--two of the best I have heard in any sport at any time.

    But in order to secure the rates needed from advertisers, OLN needs to have a wider viewership than
    those of us who would watch the TdF under almost any circumstances. OLN is doing a great job in
    balancing the what cycling fans need and what others need in order to watch and continue watching.