"Emergency puncture repair" aerosols

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Travis, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    In the boot of my wife's car is a can of emergency puncture repair
    stuff. In one action it reinflates the tire and fills it with some
    sort of puncture sealing stuff which does a "get you home, or to the
    nearest service station" repair job on the tire.

    The label says "not suitable for use on motorcycles or other two
    wheeled vehicles".

    Has anyone tried this stuff on a bicycle and had a good/bad/indifferent
    experience using it?

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Travis wrote:
    > In the boot of my wife's car is a can of emergency puncture repair
    > stuff. In one action it reinflates the tire and fills it with some
    > sort of puncture sealing stuff which does a "get you home, or to the
    > nearest service station" repair job on the tire.
    >
    > The label says "not suitable for use on motorcycles or other two
    > wheeled vehicles".
    >
    > Has anyone tried this stuff on a bicycle and had a good/bad/indifferent
    > experience using it?

    Have used it on the motorbike (unsuccessfully because the hole was too
    big), so can't comment on how effective it is. But can say once you get
    the tyre off to fix the puncture that stuff is absolutely FOUL!!

    DaveB

  3. In aus.bicycle on 9 Mar 2006 09:09:54 -0800
    Travis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The label says "not suitable for use on motorcycles or other two
    > wheeled vehicles".

    used it on my motorcycle anyway. Worked well.

    Sure, the tube was cactus afterwards and the tyre needed cleaning
    inside but it wasn't too bad to clean up after.

    I think that warning is there because if it doesn't work and the tyre
    deflates then the consequences aren't nice. But riding on it was fine
    as far as I was concerned.

    I believe you can get something vaguely similar for pushbikes,
    although as a preventative not a cure. Umm.. "slime" or something?
    goes into the tube and seals the puncture when it happens.

    There's also http://www.notubes.com/

    Zebee

  4. Travis

    Travis Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:
    > In aus.bicycle on 9 Mar 2006 09:09:54 -0800
    > Travis <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > The label says "not suitable for use on motorcycles or other two
    > > wheeled vehicles".

    > used it on my motorcycle anyway. Worked well.
    >
    > Sure, the tube was cactus afterwards and the tyre needed cleaning
    > inside but it wasn't too bad to clean up after.

    Was the tube ruined by the sealant or by whatever punctured your tube
    in the first place?

    I was wondering if it would be any good as a permanent repair for
    bikes. Its just a temporary repair for cars, but presumably the forces
    on a car tire are greater than those on a bicycle.

    If it actually ruins the tube then I'll stick with slime tire liners
    (see below).

    > I think that warning is there because if it doesn't work and the tyre
    > deflates then the consequences aren't nice. But riding on it was fine
    > as far as I was concerned.
    >
    > I believe you can get something vaguely similar for pushbikes,
    > although as a preventative not a cure. Umm.. "slime" or something?
    > goes into the tube and seals the puncture when it happens.

    Yep, I've got slime tire liners. I wanted to put the slime liquid
    straight into my tires but it wasn't compatible with road bike tube
    valves. The LBS guy tried but failed to put it in.

    The tube liners supposedly are "guaranteed" to protect against
    punctures. It excludes sidewall punctures and pinch punctures, though
    if you get a puncture on the rolling surface of the tube they'll
    replace the tube and give you a new tire liner. I didn't read the fine
    print though and am not sure if its available outside the US.

    You can also get pre-slimed tubes, which the LBS said were excellent.
    Problem was that these tubes (at least the ones he had in stock) had
    short stems and weren't compatible with my thicker rims.

    http://www.slime.com/bike/index.php

  5. Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I think that warning is there because if it doesn't work and the tyre
    > deflates then the consequences aren't nice. But riding on it was fine
    > as far as I was concerned.

    There was a court case many many years ago where, from aging memory, a
    motorcyclist used this stuff and it didn't spread evenly around the
    tyre, making it very unstable at speed. As a result he lost control and
    was very badly injured. Aparantly the results aren't so bad if you have
    three other tyres. The motorcyclist sued not only the manufacturer but
    also the retailer, which made the case newsworthy. Since then there have
    been more explicit instructions and warnings on the can. You have to
    travel reasonably fast to develop enough cetrifugal force to spread the
    goo evenly around the inside of the tube. Maybe a bicycle doesn't do
    that.

    Peter
    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Geax make a similar product for bicycles: http://www.geax.com/prodgeax/accessori.htm

    The latex seals the hole (for 'up to 12 hours') and I assume it is propelled by CO2. I've seen a few guys carrying them at MTB races, although I don't know of anyone who has used one.

  7. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    I used to make my own tubeless DH tyre systems using 40ml liquid latex and 40ml water mixed and put in the tyre. This would then seal the non tubeless tyre and alow me to ride with no fear of pinchflats. When it was relativly fresh it would also reseal after a stick or something went through the tyre as long as you helped it by putting your finger over the hole. Or putting the hole at the lowest point so all the laytex ran there.

    You could mix some into a syringe and then inject it into a road tube and the let the mixture patch the hole or patch it with a traditional patch. Not sure how long it would remain liquid for though.

    You can purchase liquid latex from costume stores.

    If was a good experiment (about 2 years) but in the end I went back to tubes and increased my pressures a little.

  8. Travis wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this stuff on a bicycle and had a good/bad/indifferent
    > experience using it?

    Yes, failure.

    My 2c Works on a car tyre because there is about 1-2cm of rubber for it
    to plug up. Doesn't work on a bicycle or motorcycle tube because there
    is only 1-2mm of rubber to plug so the seal keeps breaking.

    And if it does work, only at low pressure (un rideable for me).

  9. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    I have tried something similar for bikes from Michelin called Stop And Go. It's basically a small pressurised canister with some sort of sealant. I tried it on a UST tyre that wasn't holding air and it didn't help, but that was probably because the bead hadn't sealed properly so a sealant that works more on the tread area wasn't going to help anyway. So based on my experience I can't really say if it would work for punctures. The can does say it is meant to work with tubed or tubeless tyres.

    I know have some sealant in my tubeless tyres which I got from Autobahn. It is an Aus made product that is meant to seal holes up to 6mm, and it's the same flouro green as Slime. I think it works as I haven't had a flat since installing it and I think it helps to seal the bead as well. My front tyre has several bright green spots which always seem present, but I'm not losing much air - maybe a few psi over a couple of weeks. They always seem to be damp so I don't know that the solids in the mix have really plugged whatever holes are there.