Emergency tire boot ideas

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:32:03 -0400, Michael Press wrote:

> I'll definitely buy a real tire boot tonight when I get a replacement
> tire, but I was wondering what else I could have used as an emergency
> tire boot.

Dollar bill works fairly well.

> I'm curious what creative solutions people have come up with in the
> past. I might actually need to use one of these ideas on my ride home
> tonight.

I carry a piece of an old tire casing. I happen to have a couple of old
tubular racing tires, which have very strong silk casing, but any thin
enough tire casing will be OK. Just get enough to cover any possible
hole. My piece is about 5cm square.

> This is a Continental Sport 1000 700x23c tire with about half
> its tread life left, though of course it's trash as soon as I get home.

Of course it's a Continental.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:37:40 +0000, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>> I'm curious what creative solutions people have come up with in the
>> past. I might actually need to use one of these ideas on my ride home
>> tonight. This is a Continental Sport 1000 700x23c tire with about
>> half its tread life left, though of course it's trash as soon as I get
>> home.

>Dollar bills work well, especially when crisp. Also, mylar wrappers from
>energy bars work well (eat the bar first).

I'd have thought a Powerbar would double as adhesive!

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:35:00 +1000, Bruce Graham
<[email protected]> wrote:

>currency makes an even better emergency boot when it is plastic like in
>Australia.

It costs ya though. The smallest Australian bill is a *five* dollar
note.

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

--

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote in message news:> I rode through some finely ground glass on a fast downhill. After
> carefully inspecting the tire, changing the tube and pumping up the
> new tube I noticed that the tire sidewall had been slashed (it closed
> up when the tube was uninflated so I didn't notice it on my
> inspection). I didn't have a tire boot, so I used a Park glueless
> patch. It held enough to get me the last 5 miles to work.
>

> I'm curious what creative solutions people have come up with in the
> past. I might actually need to use one of these ideas on my ride home
> tonight. This is a Continental Sport 1000 700x23c tire with about
> half its tread life left, though of course it's trash as soon as I get
> home.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

One more suggestion. If your also run on occasion, the race numbers
are usually made of a parchment-like (or Tyvek) material. A folded
piece makes a good boot. In any case, no need to buy a boot with all
of the suggestions in this thread.

Leland Yee

Another boot idea: Cloth rim tape. Or, any cloth tape (medical
tape?).
--
Rick Onanian

"Snoopy (*is n)" wrote: It costs ya though. The smallest Australian bill
is a *five* dollar note.
I remember a joke, where the voice is coming out of a lavatory stall: "Hey,
anyone out there got change for a five?"