Emerging EECP (Enhanced External Counterpulsation) Patient!

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dan, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I was told in April of 2003 that I was not a good candidate for
    evasive surgery because I had several operations in the past , 1985
    double by-pass, several angioplasties, and also caths, and finally a
    stent in 2000. I was told in April that I had 3 totally blocked
    arteries and the only blood supply to my heart was the left mammary
    graft that was done in 1985.

    Yesterday I went for my quarterly-exam and when I was in the waiting
    room I heard this methodical sound over and over, eventually when my
    Cardiologist came in he explained EECP to me and said they had been
    doing it for about 2 months and said that I would be a good candidate
    for it.

    I was so excited to hear about it, I am amazed that such a thing is
    being kept secret by other cardiologists, I was told by another
    cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon in April 2003 my only options were
    drugs and diet and exercise. I am the first to admit I never heard of
    it till just yesterday (red in face) !

    I would be eager to hear from anyone who has had the treatment or
    presently is undergoing it, I would especially like to know:

    1.) I will be driving 60 miles round trip per day for the treatment,
    is this a problem?

    2.) Should I see about taking 2 hours per day instead of one hour, and
    cut the treatment in half?

    Thanks to all in adavnce and God Bless,
    Danny in Carrabelle,Florida

    Tags:

  2. Dan wrote:

    > I was told in April of 2003 that I was not a good candidate for
    > evasive surgery because I had several operations in the past , 1985
    > double by-pass, several angioplasties, and also caths, and finally a
    > stent in 2000. I was told in April that I had 3 totally blocked
    > arteries and the only blood supply to my heart was the left mammary
    > graft that was done in 1985.
    >
    > Yesterday I went for my quarterly-exam and when I was in the waiting
    > room I heard this methodical sound over and over, eventually when my
    > Cardiologist came in he explained EECP to me and said they had been
    > doing it for about 2 months and said that I would be a good candidate
    > for it.
    >
    > I was so excited to hear about it, I am amazed that such a thing is
    > being kept secret by other cardiologists, I was told by another
    > cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon in April 2003 my only options were
    > drugs and diet and exercise. I am the first to admit I never heard of
    > it till just yesterday (red in face) !
    >
    > I would be eager to hear from anyone who has had the treatment or
    > presently is undergoing it, I would especially like to know:
    >
    > 1.) I will be driving 60 miles round trip per day for the treatment,
    > is this a problem?

    Inconvenient but not a problem.

    > 2.) Should I see about taking 2 hours per day instead of one hour, and
    > cut the treatment in half?

    No.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thank you, Dr Chung for your kind reply.
    Danny

  4. On 14 Oct 2003 17:23:55 -0700, [email protected] (Dan) wrote:

    >Thank you, Dr Chung for your kind reply.

    Wait till you get the bill.

    lol

    Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

  5. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I started EECP last week. I take 2 medications that cause bruising
    (Coumadin, Plavix) and yesterday I could hardly walk because of the
    bruising on my thighs. Today there was a sudden increase in my heart
    rate and I have become short of breath when I move about. I am guessing
    that the increased heart rate and shortness of breath may be related to
    the severe bruising on my thighs. I have taken 6 sessions (today's
    session was cut short), but I think I will postpone more until I get to
    see my cardiologist. My heart rate during previous sessions stayed
    fairly constant in the low 70s but today it hit 105. At rest my heart
    rate today is about 85-90, which is about 15 points higher than my
    normal reading.

    I have had 5 angioplasties and have 5 or 6 stents. I also have a
    mechanical aortic valve.
    --

    Herb
    Boulder, CO

    "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was told in April of 2003 that I was not a good candidate for
    > evasive surgery because I had several operations in the past , 1985
    > double by-pass, several angioplasties, and also caths, and finally a
    > stent in 2000. I was told in April that I had 3 totally blocked
    > arteries and the only blood supply to my heart was the left mammary
    > graft that was done in 1985.
    >
    > Yesterday I went for my quarterly-exam and when I was in the waiting
    > room I heard this methodical sound over and over, eventually when my
    > Cardiologist came in he explained EECP to me and said they had been
    > doing it for about 2 months and said that I would be a good candidate
    > for it.
    >
    > I was so excited to hear about it, I am amazed that such a thing is
    > being kept secret by other cardiologists, I was told by another
    > cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon in April 2003 my only options were
    > drugs and diet and exercise. I am the first to admit I never heard of
    > it till just yesterday (red in face) !
    >
    > I would be eager to hear from anyone who has had the treatment or
    > presently is undergoing it, I would especially like to know:
    >
    > 1.) I will be driving 60 miles round trip per day for the treatment,
    > is this a problem?
    >
    > 2.) Should I see about taking 2 hours per day instead of one hour, and
    > cut the treatment in half?
    >
    > Thanks to all in adavnce and God Bless,
    > Danny in Carrabelle,Florida

  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Herb, Thank you for the information and I hope that it works out for
    you. I just wonder could it be that the heartrate increased because
    the EECP opened someting up? Just a thought...
    God Bless You,
    Danny

    "Herb" <[email protected] phony.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I started EECP last week. I take 2 medications that cause bruising
    > (Coumadin, Plavix) and yesterday I could hardly walk because of the
    > bruising on my thighs. Today there was a sudden increase in my heart
    > rate and I have become short of breath when I move about. I am guessing
    > that the increased heart rate and shortness of breath may be related to
    > the severe bruising on my thighs. I have taken 6 sessions (today's
    > session was cut short), but I think I will postpone more until I get to
    > see my cardiologist. My heart rate during previous sessions stayed
    > fairly constant in the low 70s but today it hit 105. At rest my heart
    > rate today is about 85-90, which is about 15 points higher than my
    > normal reading.
    >
    > I have had 5 angioplasties and have 5 or 6 stents. I also have a
    > mechanical aortic valve.
    > --
    >
    > Herb
    > Boulder, CO
    >

    > "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I was told in April of 2003 that I was not a good candidate for
    > > evasive surgery because I had several operations in the past , 1985
    > > double by-pass, several angioplasties, and also caths, and finally a
    > > stent in 2000. I was told in April that I had 3 totally blocked
    > > arteries and the only blood supply to my heart was the left mammary
    > > graft that was done in 1985.
    > >
    > > Yesterday I went for my quarterly-exam and when I was in the waiting
    > > room I heard this methodical sound over and over, eventually when my
    > > Cardiologist came in he explained EECP to me and said they had been
    > > doing it for about 2 months and said that I would be a good candidate
    > > for it.
    > >
    > > I was so excited to hear about it, I am amazed that such a thing is
    > > being kept secret by other cardiologists, I was told by another
    > > cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon in April 2003 my only options were
    > > drugs and diet and exercise. I am the first to admit I never heard of
    > > it till just yesterday (red in face) !
    > >
    > > I would be eager to hear from anyone who has had the treatment or
    > > presently is undergoing it, I would especially like to know:
    > >
    > > 1.) I will be driving 60 miles round trip per day for the treatment,
    > > is this a problem?
    > >
    > > 2.) Should I see about taking 2 hours per day instead of one hour, and
    > > cut the treatment in half?
    > >
    > > Thanks to all in adavnce and God Bless,
    > > Danny in Carrabelle,Florida

  7. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I had to stop the EECP because the symptoms I reported were an
    indication of bleeding which caused a low blood count. I was admitted
    to the hospital for two night sand given blood and stopped my blood
    pressure lowering medications, Coumadin and Plax were stopped for a few
    days.

    The doctor should never have prescribed EECP for me knowing that I was
    taking coumadin and Plavix.My blood counts have now gone back up but
    still lower than my normal level. The bruising is still painful but the
    high heart rate has mostly been corrected and the shortness of breath is
    much less severe.