Emeril's pasta sauce - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Larry G, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Larry G

    Larry G Guest

    I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.

    How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying the
    Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks interesting.

    Larry

    Tags:

  2. L Beck

    L Beck Guest

    "Larry G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    > their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.
    >
    > How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying the
    > Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks
    interesting.

    > Larry

    Personally, I make my own. The only time I've used any store-bought sauces is if I'm in a hurry, and
    even then I add my own touches.

  3. stan

    stan Guest

    Larry G <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    > their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.

    Live life on the edge. Buy a jar and try it for yourself. You're the best judgee of how Prego
    compares to Ragu, compares to Emeril's sauce.

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Larry G wrote:
    > I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    > their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.
    >
    > How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying the
    > Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks interesting.
    >
    > Larry

    Never tried it. I keep a can of Hunts on hand for those times when I'm in a rush. But in a pinch I'd
    rather just drizzle a little olive oil over and sprinkle some herbs on the pasta.

    Jill

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    "Larry G" writes:

    >How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality?

    Huh... what the eff is "restaurant quality"... you mean from #10 cans?

  6. George

    George Guest

    "Larry G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    > their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.
    >
    > How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying the
    > Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks
    interesting.

    > Larry

    I think all of the bottled sauces I have tried have the usual too much sugar/salt industrial taste.
    It is really easy to make a quick marinara sauce where you can taste the tomatoes and whatever other
    ingredients you use.

    I also have the same thoughts about cooking sauces. For example if you want to make Chinese food
    using fresh ginger & garlic (or whatever the recipe uses) instead of the sugar/salt sauce will
    produce a much better and tasty result.

  7. I have tried them all and can say the sauces are of good quality. I really liked the vodka sauce and
    now keep a jar of it on hand for those what am I going to make moments.

    "Larry G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    > their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.
    >
    > How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying the
    > Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks
    interesting.

    > Larry

  8. Mpoconnor7

    Mpoconnor7 Guest

    >I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce.

    I've tried the red pepper sauce and it makes a good base for spaghetti sauce. As bottled sauces go,
    I'd rate it with the Paul Newman's Sockarooni as the best pasta sauces on the market.

    Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

    "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct proportion to the intensity
    with which others try to prove him wrong" James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

  9. Ravinwulf

    Ravinwulf Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:54:18 -0800, "Larry G" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I like
    >their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is also good.
    >
    >How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying the
    >Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks interesting.

    I can't really give you a comparison, since I used to buy Classico instead of either Ragu or Prego;
    but Emeril's vodka sauce is the one I buy now to have on hand for "don't feel like making anything
    from scratch" nights. I think it's pretty good.

    Regards, Tracy R.

  10. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    L Beck wrote:
    > Personally, I make my own. The only time I've used any store-bought sauces is if I'm in a hurry,
    > and even then I add my own touches.

    It is good to have a jar of store bought sauce on hand for those occasions when you are lazy or hung
    over... plus with all those preservatives you know they have a long shelf life.

    --
    John Gaughan
    http://www.johngaughan.net/

  11. On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:08:56 -0800, in <rec.food.cooking>, "L Beck" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Larry G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >berlin.de...
    >> I'm curious to know of everyone's opinions of Emeril's pasta sauce. I'm a Prego man myself, I
    >> like their traditional sauce and their parmesan and meatballs. The Ragu Thick and Meaty is
    >> also good.
    >>
    >> How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality? I've also been thinking of trying
    >> the Hunts Cheese and Garlic which looks
    >interesting.
    >>
    >> Larry
    >>

    >Personally, I make my own. The only time I've used any store-bought sauces is if I'm in a hurry,
    >and even then I add my own touches.

    Doesn't answer the question.

  12. Larry G

    Larry G Guest

    PENMART01 <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
    > "Larry G" writes:
    > >
    > >How do Emeril's sauces compare? Are they restaurant quality?
    >
    > Huh... what the eff is "restaurant quality"... you mean from #10 cans?

    I think what I said was pretty self explanatory. I mean, does it have a quality taste, or is it
    "gooey" like many store bought varieties. There's something special about restaurant-style marinara
    sauces, probably the fact they make it themselves <g>, at least the ones I've tried. I know its all
    personal taste is all subjective though. Still it's nice to have a variety of opinions on it. :)

    Larry

  13. Larry G

    Larry G Guest

    John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
    > L Beck wrote:
    > > Personally, I make my own. The only time I've used any store-bought sauces is if I'm in a hurry,
    > > and even then I add my own touches.
    >
    > It is good to have a jar of store bought sauce on hand for those occasions when you are lazy or
    > hung over... plus with all those preservatives you know they have a long shelf life.

    Why do I have a feeling if I asked everyone here if they watched "Frasier" on television they'd deny
    it and say they only watched PBS and The Learning Channel. ;-)

    I should have known better than to ask this question in a *cooking* newsgroup. Instead, I'll ask
    everyone if they have good pasta sauce recipes they'd like to share. I don't have a lot of time for
    the kitchen, but I'm always willing to experiment.

    For example, I notice people add corn starch to their sauces? Is there a food corn starch? The only
    corn starch I'm aware of is the Johnson's baby powder variety. I'm assuming there is some other
    product. (stupid question I know, but we must all learn somewhere).

    Larry

  14. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Larry G wrote:
    > John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
    >> L Beck wrote:
    > Why do I have a feeling if I asked everyone here if they watched "Frasier" on television they'd
    > deny it and say they only watched PBS and The Learning Channel. ;-)
    >
    > I should have known better than to ask this question in a *cooking* newsgroup. Instead, I'll ask
    > everyone if they have good pasta sauce recipes they'd like to share. I don't have a lot of time
    > for the kitchen, but I'm always willing to experiment.
    >
    > For example, I notice people add corn starch to their sauces? Is there a food corn starch? The
    > only corn starch I'm aware of is the Johnson's baby powder variety. I'm assuming there is some
    > other product. (stupid question I know, but we must all learn somewhere).
    >
    > Larry

    (laughing) Don't be intimidated by the purists. I happen to keep a can of Hunts sauce on my shelf
    just in case. And, I like "Frasier". I love to laugh at pretentiousness!

    As for the corn starch, you can find a box of Argo brand in the same area as flour and such at the
    grocery store. It will last you about 10 years! A slurry (cornstarch & water) helps thicken the
    sauce. Another (but expensive) additive to thicken sauces is Arrowroot.

    Jill

  15. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:04:30 -0800, "Larry G" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> L Beck wrote:
    >> > Personally, I make my own. The only time I've used any store-bought sauces is if I'm in a
    >> > hurry, and even then I add my own touches.

    >Why do I have a feeling if I asked everyone here if they watched "Frasier" on television they'd
    >deny it and say they only watched PBS and The Learning Channel. ;-)
    >
    >I should have known better than to ask this question in a *cooking* newsgroup. Instead, I'll ask
    >everyone if they have good pasta sauce recipes they'd like to share. I don't have a lot of time for
    >the kitchen, but I'm always willing to experiment.

    To be fair, there *have* been (brief) discussions of jarred sauces, but they nearly always evolve
    into the ease of homemade, and recipes, of course.

    >For example, I notice people add corn starch to their sauces? Is there a food corn starch? The only
    >corn starch I'm aware of is the Johnson's baby powder variety. I'm assuming there is some other
    >product. (stupid question I know, but we must all learn somewhere).

    See several recent threads on "thickeners." Types and uses are extensively discussed. Yes,
    cornstarch is a food product/ingredient.