Emile Brichard RIP

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Didier A. Depireux, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Emile Brichard just died last week, at the age of 103. He was the oldest
    surviving cyclist to have ridden in a Tour de France, his participation
    dating back to 1926.

    Didier

    --
    Didier A Depireux [email protected] [email protected]
    20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm

    Tags:

  2. TM

    TM Guest

    "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Emile Brichard just died last week, at the age of 103. He was the oldest
    > surviving cyclist to have ridden in a Tour de France, his participation
    > dating back to 1926.

    Most people will never do either: live to be 100 or ride a tour.

  3. "TM" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]

    > "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Emile Brichard just died last week, at the age of 103. He was the oldest
    > > surviving cyclist to have ridden in a Tour de France, his participation
    > > dating back to 1926.
    > >

    > Most people will never do either: live to be 100 or ride a tour.

    I think you should swap 'ride' for 'participate in'. He wasn't very lucky in
    his tour. He also was the last Belgian veteran of WW I.

    His passing begs the question: who's currently the person to have
    participated in the oldest tour that still has surviving riders?

  4. Jonathan v.d. Sluis <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "TM" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Emile Brichard just died last week, at the age of 103. He was the oldest
    >> > surviving cyclist to have ridden in a Tour de France, his participation
    >> > dating back to 1926.

    >> Most people will never do either: live to be 100 or ride a tour.

    Actually, he was 104, sorry.

    > I think you should swap 'ride' for 'participate in'. He wasn't very lucky in
    > his tour. He also was the last Belgian veteran of WW I.

    You're right. He had to abandon after his fourth flat because he had run out
    of spares! Wow. Where was his support vehicle?

    Didier

    --
    Didier A Depireux [email protected]nd.edu [email protected]