Employer-provided bicycles and the Inland Revenue

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pyromancer, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    A month ago I managed to write off my car. Rather than immedieatly buy
    another, I decided to save the running and insurance costs and try the
    oft-promoted idea that in a city it's cheaper to use bike / bus / taxi
    to get about, and TBH it seems to be working.

    Except that on Friday night I came out of the office to find that some
    barsteward had stolen my bike, even though said cycle was stowed in a
    padlocked gated alley with razor-wire at both ends. The same
    barsteward, or possibly a relative of same, also made off with our
    large red "Biffa" dumpster bin, which has to be the oddest theft I've
    heard of recently.

    So, I need a new bike. Being somewhat devoid of cash and credit
    facilities makes this "interesting" - esp as in the week before it was
    nicked I had blown 20 quid on panniers and a further fiver on bungee
    cables.

    I know there is (or used to be) a scheme where an employer can buy an
    employee a bike and somehow it doesn't cost anything, though from
    discussions I found here from 2003 I can't tell if the bike is supposed
    to be repaid over a number of months, repaid as a reduction on gross
    pay without affecting net, or not repaid at all.

    All the links in that discussion are broken after the IR websitre
    re-arrangement (I guess they've never read "Cool URLs don't change"!),
    so can anyone point me at the details of the scheme, if indeed it still
    exists?

    The company are sympathetic and will most likely go for it as long as
    it's not costing them. I'm not looking for a "dodge", or to obtain 2
    grand's worth of uber-bike for 50 quid, but something that will let me
    get a decent commuting bicycle in the 400-odd quid range, with racks,
    panniers and lights, puncture-averse tyres, etc (see seperate post re
    bike reccomendations), without me having to fork out the money from
    take-home pay in any kind of large chunk.

    What sayeth the virtual velodrome?

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Pyromancer wrote:

    > I know there is (or used to be) a scheme where an employer can buy an
    > employee a bike and somehow it doesn't cost anything,

    > What sayeth the virtual velodrome?

    well not exacty free but

    http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

  3. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Pyromancer wrote:

    > > I know there is (or used to be) a scheme where an employer can buy an
    > > employee a bike and somehow it doesn't cost anything,
    > > What sayeth the virtual velodrome?

    > well not exacty free but
    > http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

    Thanks!

    That's exactly what I was after.

    Cheers!

  4. MichaelB

    MichaelB New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Does anyone want to by a big red bin? It came free with my new bike.

  5. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "MichaelB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Does anyone want to by a big red bin? It came free with my new bike.

    Nah, but I'm after some of Aldi's /best/ panniers ....

  6. Pyromancer wrote:
    > The same
    > barsteward, or possibly a relative of same, also made off with our
    > large red "Biffa" dumpster bin, which has to be the oddest theft I've
    > heard of recently.

    Maybe someone with access to the alley posing as a binman put the bike
    in the bin and wheeled it out to a van/truck to make it look slightly
    less suspicious.

    peter

  7. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:28:24 -0000, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"MichaelB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Does anyone want to by a big red bin? It came free with my new bike.

    >Nah, but I'm after some of Aldi's /best/ panniers ....

    Anyone got a bungee or two for sale?
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club

  8. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Pyromancer wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >> Pyromancer wrote:

    >>> I know there is (or used to be) a scheme where an employer can buy
    >>> an employee a bike and somehow it doesn't cost anything,
    >>> What sayeth the virtual velodrome?

    >> well not exacty free but
    >> http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

    > Thanks!
    >
    > That's exactly what I was after.
    >
    > Cheers!

    I think they are one of several organisations running such schemes. So, if
    that scheme doesn't do exactly what you want, have a google around for
    others (one used to be called booost (yes three o's). ).
    Essentially they do the paperwork for employers who are sympathetic to the
    scheme.

    Not all employers are sympathetic.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  9. Tim Binns

    Tim Binns Guest

    On 6 Feb 2006 09:58:27 -0800, "naked_draughtsman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pyromancer wrote:
    >> The same
    >> barsteward, or possibly a relative of same, also made off with our
    >> large red "Biffa" dumpster bin, which has to be the oddest theft I've
    >> heard of recently.

    >Maybe someone with access to the alley posing as a binman put the bike
    >in the bin and wheeled it out to a van/truck to make it look slightly
    >less suspicious.

    Well, coppers sometimes refer to the standard domestic wheelie bin as
    "the thieve's shopping basket".

    Handy for climbing over back garden walls, too.

  10. MichaelB <[email protected]> writes:

    > Does anyone want to by a big red bin? It came free with my new bike.

    Hell of a trailer you've got there, m8!

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  11. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Tim Binns wrote:

    > Well, coppers sometimes refer to the standard domestic wheelie bin as
    > "the thieve's shopping basket".

    ??? you would think anyone wheeling a wheely bin anywhere other than
    from the back to the front of their house would be either a tad
    suspicious or desperate to have their collar felt by said coppers.

  12. ian henden

    ian henden Guest

    "Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MartinM wrote:
    >> Pyromancer wrote:

    >> > I know there is (or used to be) a scheme where an employer can buy an
    >> > employee a bike and somehow it doesn't cost anything,
    >> > What sayeth the virtual velodrome?

    >> well not exacty free but
    >> http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

    > Thanks!
    >
    > That's exactly what I was after.
    >
    > Cheers!

    Good scheme. There is a similar scheme for purchasing computers...... our
    new laptop came that way!!

    "Home Computing Initiative" at www.dti.gov.uk/hci

    Ours came through Evesham -

    http://www.evesham.com/hci/default.asp?&CMP=KAC-HCI

    ==
    IanH

  13. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    > >> http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

    > Good scheme. There is a similar scheme for purchasing computers...... our
    > new laptop came that way!!
    >
    > "Home Computing Initiative" at www.dti.gov.uk/hci

    Handy to know!

    > Ours came through Evesham -

    I used to use them in the 90s. Never again though, they became major
    spammers a couple of years back. May have reformed again now, but
    they've lost my custom permanently. Google should have the meaty
    details.