Employment in the bike industry in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by mds2076, May 22, 2007.

1. rdk

rdk New Member

Back to bikes, Abbotsford Cycles run a well-regarded repair only business. They've got a good name and seem sucessful, but who knows except their accountant. This works in the Peoples Repuplic of Richmond, Collingwood and Fitzroy, but I doubt it would work in, say, Broadmeadows.

However, there is not insignificant money sunk into rent, fitout, stock etc

2. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Is there an echo in here? :rolleyes:

3. flipper

flipper New Member

Yep.

4. mds2076

mds2076 New Member

Thanks for the replies so far...to be more specific I'm looking more towards the mechanical repairs/maintenance side of things working for a bike shop or somewhere that just repairs bikes. I found the TAFE course (course no. 6061) in bicycle technology but alas the course isn't actually offered anywhere at present. So, to be more specific, how can I get into it without any formal qualifications...more of a learn on the job type of thing?

5. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Have you spoken to local bike shops? Maybe try some cold canvassing. Ask if you could do some work experience, voluntary work or something similar. Express your interest to as many shops near to you as you can and maybe get to know one or two really well. Who knows, it could pay off in the future.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker New Member

Unless your the owner. I work as a bicycle mechanic and hear the goss from travelling sales reps. Trust me, there is a lot of money to be made. As a bike mechanic, i would recommmend it as a casual job and a learning experience. Only the best in the business earn up to $1000 a week. And that is only the best meaning they have been in the insdustry 15+ years and have a name for themselves. Learn the mechanic skills, sale skills, target market and how to run a business, then start your own.

Good luck mate.