Encouraging Cycling to schools

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by anjiecol, Feb 14, 2004.

1. anjiecol

anjiecol New Member

What is being done in your local area to encourage students to cycle to school?

What could be done to encourage more students to cycle or walk to schoool?

Tags:

2. less'go

less'go New Member

Took my neice to see a teenybopper movie called "confessions of a teenage drama queen" which featured the heroine always on her bike, and lots of kids riding bikes to school. Since films and TV are very influential, I think that's a good move!

3. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

My school has a wire cage for students to lock their bikes in, but thats about as far as they go to encouraging cycling.

Oh and part of the year seven (thats 13 year olds) sport class is Bike Ed.

4. keydates

keydates New Member

My school doesn't even have a bike rack. Kind of odd, since there are a good 2000 students there. I'd say maybe 5 people bike to school. Probably less, since I don't see many bikes around. Most either walk/take the bus/drive.

5. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

Only 5? Damn. My school of six or seven hundred students has maybe 20-35 students ride to school. Not sure on exact numbers, but it would be around there.

A couple of the teachers (2-5) also ride.

6. keydates

keydates New Member

More or less...probably less people. I know of at least one kid rides his bike to school. It's not the preferred way of travelling. Of course, that may be a result of not having any sort of bike rack.

7. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

How do **I** encourage my child to cycle to school? Well, Daddy bikes with her in the morning and Momma bikes her back home after school. She's not competent enough to be trusted to manage on her own in the traffic.

I only mention this because a few years ago, I caught myself in mid sentence decrying the lack of emphasis we put on physical fitness for children....the whole "somebody ought to do something". It wasn't until I finished embarassing myself that I realized that "someone" was "me" and I really should do something about encouraging my child's physical activities.

The school has bike racks -- I guess the rest is up to her parents.

8. Gittins

Gittins New Member