encouraging cycling to work

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Clive George <[email protected]> wrote:
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > We have some bikeaway lockers at the uni (www.bikeaway.co.uk) The web
> > site claims: "BikeAway Locker is 68cm wide, 109cm deep, and 190-200cm
> > high "
> > so you should be able to get 11 into the available space. They are fine
> > if you do not have a full rear mudguard or a repugnant.

> What does Ian Smith ride?

There's a small clue at
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/trikes/xl/owners_images/pages/ian_smith.htm

However, I'm not actually planning to get that (even without trailer)
in a locker. While I commute on it at the moment, I probably wouldn't
to that site - the commute will feature about 4 miles of traffic jam,
morning and evening, and a narrower, taller vehicle will be more
suited.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

i artikel [email protected], skrev David
Martin på [email protected] den 06-06-02 21.58:

> They are fine
> if you do not have a full rear mudguard

That seems an impractical an unsensible requirement for commuting, but maybe
the "seesaw" can be cut and the bike will just hang from the front wheel.

Erik Sandblom

i artikel [email protected]hnet, skrev Ian Smith på
[email protected] den 06-06-02 21.33:

> That's the problem I have - most lockers are designed to interleave the
> bikes within, and designed for clear access from both sides, which I
> don't have.

Oh I see. I sent an email to ask them, but it seems to be as you say. You
need access space from both sides.

> Anyway, I have bikes I wouldn't want to hang from the front wheel,

Why not? The wheel would certainly support the weight of the bike. It's
twice the weight compared to if it had been standing on the ground, but it's
still not very much compared to riding it.

> and
> I suspect it would have difficulty with some bikes. It's hard to beat
> the universal usefulness of a sheffield stand, in my opinion.

Those are very sensible and will fit your recumbent if you space them wide
enough.
http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet.asp?Rack=Sheffield Stand

Erik Sandblom

On Fri, 02 Jun, Mark Thompson <> wrote:
> > There's a small clue at
> > http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/trikes/xl/owners_images/pages/ian_smith
> > .htm

> Interesting how many of them wear helmets when riding a three-wheeled
> recumbent. Must have exceptionally bad balance :)

I don't wear a helmet on it any more. In fact, I don't wear a helmet
for most of my riding any more.

Having said that, I have fallen off once. Handbrake turn went wrong.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

David Martin wrote:

> We have some bikeaway lockers at the uni (www.bikeaway.co.uk) The web
> site claims: "BikeAway Locker is 68cm wide, 109cm deep, and 190-200cm
> high "
> so you should be able to get 11 into the available space. They are
> fine if you do not have a full rear mudguard or a repugnant.

So, where did they go wrong ? Installation or maker's design ?

The maker's website says that the rear ramp is fine if you have a mudguard.
However, pretty much all their pictures show a 26in wheeled rigid framed
"mountain bike" without mudguards.

I did wonder about how it would work with a typical "CTC local group
sensible tourist" mudguard which has a very long tail to stop rear spray
tails. And also anything with small wheels (Moulton, etc.).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006, Erik Sandblom <[email protected]> wrote:
> i artikel [email protected]hnet, skrev Ian Smith på
> [email protected] den 06-06-02 21.33:
>
> > That's the problem I have - most lockers are designed to interleave the
> > bikes within, and designed for clear access from both sides, which I
> > don't have.

> Oh I see. I sent an email to ask them,

Thank you. I'd be very pleased to hear the response.

> > Anyway, I have bikes I wouldn't want to hang from the front wheel,

> Why not?

To be honest, I'm not sure - maybe it's just unnatural. I'm not a big
fan of the various suspended-storage schemes, but there may not be a
rational explanation.

> Those are very sensible and will fit your recumbent if you space them wide
> enough.

Indeed. At the current site, there are sheffield stands that are
arranged in a row with the stands set diagonally. This actually works
really well for my trice - it neatly nestles between two stands, in
such a way that I can get a U-lock round the frame cruciform to one
stand at the front, and another lock through the rear triangle to the
next stand in the row. The only problem is if I can't find two
adjacent vacant racks.

But I probably won't ride it to the site I'm thinking of.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>

> > We have some bikeaway lockers at the uni (www.bikeaway.co.uk) The web
> > site claims: "BikeAway Locker is 68cm wide, 109cm deep, and 190-200cm
> > high "
> > so you should be able to get 11 into the available space. They are
> > fine if you do not have a full rear mudguard or a repugnant.

> So, where did they go wrong ? Installation or maker's design ?
>

> The maker's website says that the rear ramp is fine if you have a mudguard.
> However, pretty much all their pictures show a 26in wheeled rigid framed
> "mountain bike" without mudguards.
>
> I did wonder about how it would work with a typical "CTC local group
> sensible tourist" mudguard which has a very long tail to stop rear spray
> tails. And also anything with small wheels (Moulton, etc.).

Design. If you have a flap type mudguard, ie one of those MTB seatpost
thingies like this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5220000111 then you will be
fine, but a traditional close fitting full length mudguard will not
work. Trust me, we have tried it.

The bike stands on the rear wheel, the front wheel sits in a sliding
loop that stops it falling sideways. It doesn't come out because the
little ramp folds up.

Personally I'd have welcomed a variety with just a hook on which to
hang the bike and a small ramp to wheel it up. That would then work
fine for those with full mudguards.

Apart from that ****le, they appear to be very good. Plenty of space to
hang bike related gear and they are very solid.

Maybe you could persuade them to do a hook design instead of the
sliding hoop (if it's good enough for GNER and Virgin Trains it should
eb fine for a static bike locker.)

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>>David Martin wrote:
>>>We have some bikeaway lockers at the uni (www.bikeaway.co.uk) The web
>>>site claims: "BikeAway Locker is 68cm wide, 109cm deep, and 190-200cm
>>>high "
>>>so you should be able to get 11 into the available space. They are
>>>fine if you do not have a full rear mudguard or a repugnant.

>>So, where did they go wrong ? Installation or maker's design ?
>>
>>The maker's website says that the rear ramp is fine if you have a mudguard.
>>However, pretty much all their pictures show a 26in wheeled rigid framed
>>"mountain bike" without mudguards.
>>
>>I did wonder about how it would work with a typical "CTC local group
>>sensible tourist" mudguard which has a very long tail to stop rear spray
>>tails. And also anything with small wheels (Moulton, etc.).

> Design. If you have a flap type mudguard, ie one of those MTB seatpost
> thingies like this:
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5220000111 then you will be
> fine, but a traditional close fitting full length mudguard will not
> work. Trust me, we have tried it.

My old bike did go in, without damaging the mudguard (700C wheels,
full mudguard). But the bars were nearly too wide, both saddle and
bars were touching the door, and it was a struggle to get it in.

I think you can get extra deep ones, which would not affect the number
you could fit into the space.

Also consider the Byke-bin, a plastic box which opens at one end for
you to wheel a bike in backwards. I think you'd get about 8 into a
space 7.5m long.

Or 7 Sheffield stands would fit in, for 14 bikes. But with only 2.7m
depth you'd need access all the way along. Some sort of lockable,
sliding fence would work.

Colin McKenzie

--
On average in Britain, you're more likely to get a head injury walking
a mile than cycling it.

> but a traditional close fitting full length mudguard will not
> work. Trust me, we have tried it.

Would it go in hanging from the rear wheel? Considerably more awkward that
way thobut.

Mark Thompson wrote:
> > but a traditional close fitting full length mudguard will not
> > work. Trust me, we have tried it.

> Would it go in hanging from the rear wheel? Considerably more awkward that
> way thobut.

No, because the metal loop that's meant to slide over the front wheel
and hold it would not be good for the rear mudguard.

I used to be able to get my Galaxy with full mudguards into the lockers
at GSK, but that was without a mudguard flap, and it was an "only just"
fit.

--
Dave...

On 02 Jun 2006 21:28:46 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Anyway, I have bikes I wouldn't want to hang from the front wheel,

>> Why not?

>To be honest, I'm not sure - maybe it's just unnatural. I'm not a big
>fan of the various suspended-storage schemes, but there may not be a
>rational explanation.

I had a similar reaction when I first saw the bike stowage
arrangements in German trains, which often are just that - suspended
from the front wheel. I asked the LBS what they thought about that
and the reply was very similar to Erik's - not at all a problem. They
then proceeded to show me where all their new, unsold bikes were
stored - hung from the front wheel!