End 2 End in August

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi,

    We have places for 2 more people if anyone would like to join us.

    Dates

    August 22nd - August 31st (8 days cycling)

    Route

    John O'Groats to Lands End - on quiet roads where possible, route is just under 1000 miles (approx
    120 miles/day). We will be riding together! and anticipate riding for between 8 - 10 hours a day.

    Accommodation

    We have booked accommodation in small hotels/guest houses.

    Support

    We have 3 support cars for the 9 cyclists so we will not have to carry all of our gear

    Charity

    We will be raising money for Breast Cancer Charity via individual sponsorship and other means

    Cost

    We estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink, fuel
    for cars etc.

    Let me know if you are interested and want more details. Thanks

    Paul Martin [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,

    August.
    > We have places for 2 more people if anyone would like to join us.
    >

    > Dates
    >
    > August 22nd - August 31st (8 days cycling)
    >
    > Route
    >
    > John O'Groats to Lands End - on quiet roads where possible, route is just under 1000 miles (approx
    > 120 miles/day). We will be riding together! and anticipate riding for between 8 - 10 hours a day.
    >
    > Accommodation
    >
    > We have booked accommodation in small hotels/guest houses.
    >
    > Support
    >
    > We have 3 support cars for the 9 cyclists so we will not have to carry all of our gear
    >
    > Charity
    >
    > We will be raising money for Breast Cancer Charity via individual sponsorship and other means
    >
    > Cost
    >
    > We estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink, fuel
    > for cars etc.
    >

    > Let me know if you are interested and want more details. Thanks
    >
    > Paul Martin [email protected]

    Good cause and good luck, don't forget to admire the scenery ;-)

    Dave.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > We will be raising money for Breast Cancer Charity via individual sponsorship and other means We
    > estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink, fuel for
    > cars etc.

    Following the recent criticism hereabouts of the "get your friends to pay for your holiday" type of
    sponsored ride, I would congratulate you on apparently doing the Right Thing and costing it as a
    tour with charity fundraising as a collateral benefit.

    Enjoy the ride, even if you are doing it the wrong way round :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > We will be raising money for Breast Cancer Charity via individual sponsorship and other means We
    > > estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink, fuel
    > > for cars etc.
    >
    > Following the recent criticism hereabouts of the "get your friends to pay for your holiday" type
    > of sponsored ride, I would congratulate you on apparently doing the Right Thing and costing it as
    > a tour with charity fundraising as a collateral benefit.
    >
    > Enjoy the ride, even if you are doing it the wrong way round :)
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===
    C'mon Guy, everyone knows, and it's clear to see when looking at a map, only masochists do it Lands
    End to John O' Groats...up hill all the way and all that ;-) Think I might start a 'doing it the
    wrong way round club' dedicated to those who don't realise or appreciate the S/W prevailing
    headwinds of this fair isle of ours (until too late.....) Have to admit, having done it that way, I
    didn't notice a single headwind until I got to Dingwall (which co-incidentally was not only the
    furthest north I'd previously ever been but also where I lost my licence all those years ago;-).
    Following that there were only occassional instances of headwinds impacting upon my ride. I'm sure
    the OP has genuine reasons for doing it t'other way round, right ?....right?... Cheers, Dave.

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I replied to this earlier and although it shows as being replied to, it doesn't show my response, so
    I'm trying again. Apologies if it comes up twice. Had temporary probs with NG stuff. please see
    below..... cheers, Dave. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > We will be raising money for Breast Cancer Charity via individual sponsorship and other means We
    > > estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink, fuel
    > > for cars etc.
    >
    > Following the recent criticism hereabouts of the "get your friends to pay for your holiday" type
    > of sponsored ride, I would congratulate you on apparently doing the Right Thing and costing it as
    > a tour with charity fundraising as a collateral benefit.
    >
    > Enjoy the ride, even if you are doing it the wrong way round :)
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===

    C'mon Guy, everyone knows, and it's clear to see when looking at a map, only masochists do it Lands
    End to John O' Groats...up hill all the way and all that ;-) Think I might start a 'doing it the
    wrong way round club' dedicated to those who don't realise or appreciate the S/W prevailing
    headwinds of this fair isle of ours (until too late.....) Have to admit, having done it that way, I
    didn't notice a single headwind until I got to Dingwall (which co-incidentally was not only the
    furthest north I'd previously ever been but also where I lost my licence all those years ago;-).
    Following that there were only occassional instances of headwinds impacting upon my ride. I'm sure
    the OP has genuine reasons for doing it t'other way round, right ?....right?... Cheers, Dave.

  6. David Green

    David Green Guest

    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > August.
    > > We have places for 2 more people if anyone would like to join us.

    > > August 22nd - August 31st (8 days cycling)
    > >
    > > Route
    > >
    > > John O'Groats to Lands End - on quiet roads where possible, route is
    just
    > > under 1000 miles (approx 120 miles/day). We will be riding together!
    and
    > > anticipate riding for between 8 - 10 hours a day.
    > >
    > > Accommodation
    > >
    > > We have booked accommodation in small hotels/guest houses.
    > >
    > > Support
    > >
    > > We have 3 support cars for the 9 cyclists so we will not have to carry
    all
    > > of our gear

    > > Cost
    > >
    > > We estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink, fuel
    > > for cars etc.

    This sounds like excessive daily milage and hours in the saddle. When I did it, six hours per day
    was long enough! Also, six hundred pounds each seems very expensive. Maybe you should consider B&B
    (a lot cheaper than even small hotels) and one minibus rather than 3 cars.

    David.

    DON'T MAIL THE REPLY ADDRESS! Before you click 'Send', replace 'deadspam.com' with 'onetel.net.uk'.
    > Good cause and good luck, don't forget to admire the scenery ;-)
    >
    > Dave.

  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Dave,

    Several reasons for doing it 'the wrong way round' - I will probably only ride the end 2 end once -
    so may as well do it the hard way, I am from Plymouth originally and it sort of feels like cycling
    towards home (family still live in Devon area), wanted to do the Long drive at the beggining rather
    than the end and it is down hill isn't it?

    Paul "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > I replied to this earlier and although it shows as being replied to, it doesn't show my response,
    > so I'm trying again. Apologies if it comes up twice. Had temporary probs with NG stuff. please see
    > below..... cheers, Dave. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > We will be raising money for Breast Cancer Charity via individual sponsorship and other means
    > > > We estimate that the cost will be around £600 / cyclist which includes Hotels/food & drink,
    > > > fuel for cars etc.
    > >
    > > Following the recent criticism hereabouts of the "get your friends to
    pay
    > > for your holiday" type of sponsored ride, I would congratulate you on apparently doing the Right
    > > Thing and costing it as a tour with charity fundraising as a collateral benefit.
    > >
    > > Enjoy the ride, even if you are doing it the wrong way round :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Guy
    > > ===
    >
    > C'mon Guy, everyone knows, and it's clear to see when looking at a map,
    only
    > masochists do it Lands End to John O' Groats...up hill all the way and all that ;-) Think I might
    > start a 'doing it the wrong way round club' dedicated to
    those
    > who don't realise or appreciate the S/W prevailing headwinds of this fair isle of ours (until too
    > late.....) Have to admit, having done it that way, I didn't notice a single headwind until I got
    > to Dingwall (which co-incidentally was not only the furthest north I'd previously ever been but
    > also where I lost my licence all those years ago;-). Following that there were only occassional
    > instances of headwinds impacting upon my ride. I'm sure the OP has genuine reasons for doing it
    > t'other way round, right ?....right?... Cheers, Dave.

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dave,
    >
    > Several reasons for doing it 'the wrong way round' - I will probably only ride the end 2 end once
    > - so may as well do it the hard way, I am from Plymouth originally and it sort of feels like
    > cycling towards home (family still live in Devon area), wanted to do the Long drive at the
    > beggining rather than the end and it is down hill isn't it?
    >
    > Paul

    Know what you mean, Paul. I'm from the West Mids and preferred the thought of getting closer to home
    as the ride progressed. By the time I stopped at home on the evening of the 7th day of a 10 day
    ride, I knew I could make it the rest of the way without too much trouble ('part from them damn
    'ills in Devon/Cornwall- only a couple, but watch out for 'em - killers!!). I did it solo, carrying
    all required kit on bike etc. 100ish miles per day, approx 10 hrs per day in saddle, 10mph(ish).
    Tenth day was just the 20 mile round trip from Penzance to Lands End and back! You get used to the
    time in the saddle after 2 or 3 days and then it's just a mental thing of not getting down when cars
    / motorbikes / lorries / anything else on the road, goes shooting by effortlessly. I loved it, hope
    you do too ! Cheers, Dave.