End-Bar mirrors

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alex88, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Alex88

    Alex88 Guest

    hi all,
    this is my first post here :D
    i'm from italy and i have a full-suspended bike.
    i'm going to buy a mirror for my bike, a end-bar one.
    in the net i've seen the zefal cyclop, it costs in italy 13 euro(s).
    in decathlon (if you don't know about it, it is a shop that sells only
    sport accessores) a mirror for 8 euro.

    what should I buy? i think the zefal (more price = more quality)
    but the cyclop is convex, is a good or a bad thing? if I have understood
    it should mean that i see the things closer then they are in the
    reality. I don't know if the decathlon one is convex.

    help me to choose!

    thanks in advice,
    Alex88 (and sorry for my bad english :( )
    --
    Alex88(16,RM,60±,70±,Full-Suspended munito, Biker)
    [email protected] - rimuovi NOSPAMM

    Tags:

  2. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Alex88" wrote: (clip) the cyclop is convex, is a good or a bad thing?
    (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Convex is a GOOD thing. It's not so much that it makes things appear
    smaller, which it does, but it increases your angle of view. With a flat
    mirror you would have to lean to various positions to scan the scene behind
    you, which would be difficult, and would never assure you that you have
    really taken in everything. In fact, I cannot recall ever seeing a flat
    bar-end mirror--I'll bet they are not even available.

    A flat helmet mirror is OK, because, being close to your eye, it provides a
    larger angle of view. Also, you can scan by just turning or tilting your
    head.

  3. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:

    > "Alex88" wrote: (clip) the cyclop is convex, is a good or a bad thing?
    > (clip)
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Convex is a GOOD thing. It's not so much that it makes things appear
    > smaller, which it does, but it increases your angle of view. With a flat
    > mirror you would have to lean to various positions to scan the scene behind
    > you, which would be difficult, and would never assure you that you have
    > really taken in everything. In fact, I cannot recall ever seeing a flat
    > bar-end mirror--I'll bet they are not even available.

    I've got one. Rhode Gear, I think, and it has a rubber thing shoved
    into the bar which I have replaced with a grommet. Unfortunately it
    doesn't bend far enough inward, and it rotates in the bar way too easily
    so whenever I want to use it I have to hold it with my hand. There
    really ought to be a better design.

    I hate convex mirrors -- I can HEAR that there's a car behind me, I just
    want to know exactly how far away it is, and looking over my shoulder
    shifts my balance in a way that might put me under the wheels of a
    cement truck one day. No, if I haven't been able to avoid this after
    15,000 miles I probably won't be able to do it next week either.

    > A flat helmet mirror is OK, because, being close to your eye, it provides a
    > larger angle of view. Also, you can scan by just turning or tilting your
    > head.

    I had one, but I kept knocking it off. The last time it escaped
    permanently.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    A: Top posters.

  4. Alex88

    Alex88 Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc, Leo Lichtman ha avuto il coraggio di scrivere:

    > Convex is a GOOD thing.

    ok, thank you :D
    so, what one should I buy?

    bye bye
    --
    Alex88
    "Aio te, Aeacida, Romanos vincere posse"

  5. Joe Faust

    Joe Faust Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:59:10 -0700, The Real Bev
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Leo Lichtman wrote:
    >>
    >> "Alex88" wrote: (clip) the cyclop is convex, is a good or a bad thing?
    >> (clip)
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> Convex is a GOOD thing. It's not so much that it makes things appear
    >> smaller, which it does, but it increases your angle of view. With a flat
    >> mirror you would have to lean to various positions to scan the scene behind
    >> you, which would be difficult, and would never assure you that you have
    >> really taken in everything. In fact, I cannot recall ever seeing a flat
    >> bar-end mirror--I'll bet they are not even available.

    >I've got one. Rhode Gear, I think, and it has a rubber thing shoved
    >into the bar which I have replaced with a grommet. Unfortunately it
    >doesn't bend far enough inward, and it rotates in the bar way too easily
    >so whenever I want to use it I have to hold it with my hand. There
    >really ought to be a better design.

    I also have the Rhode Gear, and also had the 'bend' and 'rotate'
    problems. I finally fixed the rotate problem by adding some teflon
    pipe thread tape to the ball head threads and then securely tightening
    with pliers. I then bent the rear blades against the handlebar and
    secured it first with some non-elastic strapping tape, and then
    covered that with black electricians tape. Now, a week later, both
    problems are gone.

    >I hate convex mirrors -- I can HEAR that there's a car behind me, I just
    >want to know exactly how far away it is, and looking over my shoulder
    >shifts my balance in a way that might put me under the wheels of a
    >cement truck one day. No, if I haven't been able to avoid this after
    >15,000 miles I probably won't be able to do it next week either.
    >
    >> A flat helmet mirror is OK, because, being close to your eye, it provides a
    >> larger angle of view. Also, you can scan by just turning or tilting your
    >> head.

    About the same time, a week ago, as I went to work on the Rhode Gear
    mirror, I retrieved a Take-a-look eyeglass mirror that had been lying
    around unused for a few years. Secured it to my sunglasses and went
    out for a lengthy ride.

    Now with both handlebar and sunglass mirrors I was able to make a
    direct comparison. The convex handlebar mirror deceives one into
    believing that there is more time before the car is alongside, and the
    eyeglass mirror gives an accurate rendition of the approaching
    vehicle. The eyeglass mirror is bright and gives a feeling of
    'immediacy with the ability to see behind without head movement;,
    whereas the Rhode gear is tinted, smaller imaged, and takes a much
    bigger sweep of the head/eyes to secure information.

    I am going to continue to test both mirrors, but my feeling right now
    is that I may remove the handlebar mirror. I do find the eyeglass
    mirror dangling on the side of my head to be somewhat annoying.
    Perhaps it is just a matter of acclimation.

  6. Alex88

    Alex88 Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc, Joe Faust ha avuto il coraggio di scrivere:
    > The convex handlebar mirror deceives one into
    > believing that there is more time before the car is alongside,

    sorry, how much?

    thanks

    --
    Alex88
    "Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue." (Bios)
    [email protected] - rimuovi NOSPAMM
    www.alex88.3000.it

  7. On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:17:11 GMT, Joe Faust
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am going to continue to test both mirrors, but my feeling right now
    >is that I may remove the handlebar mirror. I do find the eyeglass
    >mirror dangling on the side of my head to be somewhat annoying.
    >Perhaps it is just a matter of acclimation.

    I am looking for an eyeglass mirror...have use dthem for years and to
    me they are the best...better field of view, eyes remain forward, no
    vibration...use to use one called "Fred's Mirror". Recently moved and
    can't find one in the NW Washington area shops.

  8. whinds

    whinds Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Alex88
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >hi all,
    >this is my first post here :D
    >i'm from italy and i have a full-suspended bike.
    >i'm going to buy a mirror for my bike, a end-bar one.
    >in the net i've seen the zefal cyclop, it costs in italy 13 euro(s).
    >in decathlon (if you don't know about it, it is a shop that sells only
    >sport accessores) a mirror for 8 euro.
    >
    >what should I buy? i think the zefal (more price = more quality)
    >but the cyclop is convex, is a good or a bad thing? if I have understood
    >it should mean that i see the things closer then they are in the
    >reality. I don't know if the decathlon one is convex.

    Hi Alex,
    Zefal makes great products but you might also want to look at the Third Eye,
    www.3rd-eye.com. I use the (09) model on two mountain bikes with bar ends. I
    like this mirror because only the round 3 inch mirror and hinge stick out from
    the end of the handlebar. This mirror is quite flat but is described as convex.
    The mirror itself is glass and I have broken one in a crash but still prefer it
    over the others. The company ships internationally. Their website says the (09)
    is $17(US) and includes shipping. Hope this helps.
    Bill

  9. Joe Faust

    Joe Faust Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:33:22 GMT, Alex88 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In rec.bicycles.misc, Joe Faust ha avuto il coraggio di scrivere:
    >> The convex handlebar mirror deceives one into
    >> believing that there is more time before the car is alongside,

    >sorry, how much?
    >
    >thanks

    It would be impossible to give a precise time reply. It depends on
    your speed and the closing speed of the car. However, the convexity
    view of the handlebar mirror places the car significantly further back
    than the view from the eyeglass mirror.

    As of rough guestimate if the car appears to be about 20 feet back in
    the eyeglass mirror, it might look as though it is 60 feet back in the
    handlebar mirror. If one were preparing for a left turn from the
    shoulder of the road, it would be very important to give a look over
    one's shoulder, especially with the handlebar mirror. Good practice
    with either mirror.

    Here is a an article about the Take a look mirror:
    http://home.att.net/~mark.livingood/articles/takealook.html

    And another from icebike.com about many bike mirrors:
    http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm

  10. Alex88

    Alex88 Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc, Joe Faust ha avuto il coraggio di scrivere:

    > It would be impossible to give a precise time reply. It depends on
    > your speed and the closing speed of the car. However, the convexity
    > view of the handlebar mirror places the car significantly further back
    > than the view from the eyeglass mirror.

    just another thing:
    after using a covex mirror for a time (1 year or more) can I get usual
    to see the car far away? or also after 2 year i got to think "ok, the
    carz are far away"?

    help me :(

    bye bye

    --
    Alex88(16,RM,60±,70±,Full-Suspended munito, Biker)
    [email protected] - rimuovi NOSPAMM
    www.alex88.3000.it

  11. Joe Faust

    Joe Faust Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:11:09 GMT, Alex88 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In rec.bicycles.misc, Joe Faust ha avuto il coraggio di scrivere:
    >
    >> It would be impossible to give a precise time reply. It depends on
    >> your speed and the closing speed of the car. However, the convexity
    >> view of the handlebar mirror places the car significantly further back
    >> than the view from the eyeglass mirror.

    >just another thing:
    >after using a covex mirror for a time (1 year or more) can I get usual
    >to see the car far away? or also after 2 year i got to think "ok, the
    >carz are far away"?
    >
    >help me :(
    >
    >bye bye

    Yes, the convex mirror is quite usable. You learn to gauge where the
    car is. I have been using my convex mirror for a few years now.

  12. Alex88

    Alex88 Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc, Joe Faust ha avuto il coraggio di scrivere:

    > Yes, the convex mirror is quite usable. You learn to gauge where the
    > car is. I have been using my convex mirror for a few years now.

    ok, thank you...
    i'm going to buy it...

    bye bye