End of decal obsession

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Pearlma, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals. He now has a nice old
    English touring bike repainted with NO DECALS at all. It looks wonderful and advertises nothing.

    Tags:

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Amen. I try to wear no logos on my clothes. I wear a baseball cap with no logo, too. I refuse to pay
    my money to provide free advertising. I wish my car had no nameplate, and I'm thinking about
    removing it. (It's a Volvo 240 wagon, I'm sure people could identify it without a nametag). Maybe
    I'll write a different name, like Mercedes, on it. (not!) Truly classy items don't plaster
    themselves with dumb logos. Next time I paint my bike, it will have no logos, too.

    Michael Pearlman wrote:

    > A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals. He now has a nice old
    > English touring bike repainted with NO DECALS at all. It looks wonderful and advertises nothing.

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pearlman" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    rec.bicycles.tech Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 11:59 AM Subject: End of decal obsession

    > A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals.
    ....cut

    I assemble and ride bikes using good qualiity parts usually with titanium frames. My bikes are a
    conveince so I lock and leave them when shopping, touring etc. which some people find odd as they
    never let their bikes out of their sight when they are not locked up at home.

    I always remove Decals and logos from components whenever possible, avoid fancy paint and
    shiny bits.

    It seems to work, a dull grey frame without big springs and go-faster stripes seems to be invisible
    to theives when locked with a kryponite U lock and cable around the wheels. retep

  4. [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals. He now has a nice old
    > English touring bike repainted with NO DECALS at all. It looks wonderful and advertises nothing.

    To me a bike frame looks rather bare without any decals at all. After I painted one bike black I
    found some great looking Kuwahara decals that faded from orange to yellow. On the black bike they
    looked perfect; in fact many of my friends used to joke about my rare French Kuwahara (the bike is
    an old Gitane).

    I suppose you could put different decals on your bike every time you repaint it and other cyclists
    might think you have a new bike. If you don't want any logos on your bike you can always put your
    own name on the down tube; that would make your bike unique anyway.

    best, Bruce

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Amen. I try to wear no logos on my clothes. I wear a
    baseball cap with
    > no logo, too. I refuse to pay my money to provide free
    advertising.

    Me too.

    Matt O.

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I assemble and ride bikes using good qualiity parts
    usually with titanium
    > frames. My bikes are a conveince so I lock and leave them
    when shopping,
    > touring etc. which some people find odd as they never let
    their bikes out of
    > their sight when they are not locked up at home.
    >
    > I always remove Decals and logos from components whenever
    possible, avoid
    > fancy paint and shiny bits.
    >
    > It seems to work, a dull grey frame without big springs
    and go-faster
    > stripes seems to be invisible to theives when locked with
    a kryponite U lock
    > and cable around the wheels.

    This is the main thing I like about Ti bikes -- a low-key appearance, and permanent,
    no-maintenance finish.

    The one thing I don't like about my current bike is that it might be a little too flashy.

    An older photographer friend used to put black tape over the logos on his cameras. He used to say,
    "Thieves only know names, not cameras." In years of travel to countries known for lightfingered
    types, he never had one stolen.

    Matt O.

  7. Dax

    Dax Guest

    On 22 Mar 2003 15:36:18 -0800, [email protected] (Bruce Jackson) wrote:

    >[email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals. He now has a nice old
    >> English touring bike repainted with NO DECALS at all. It looks wonderful and advertises nothing.
    >
    >To me a bike frame looks rather bare without any decals at all. After I painted one bike black I
    >found some great looking Kuwahara decals that faded from orange to yellow. On the black bike they
    >looked perfect; in fact many of my friends used to joke about my rare French Kuwahara (the bike is
    >an old Gitane).
    >
    >I suppose you could put different decals on your bike every time you repaint it and other cyclists
    >might think you have a new bike. If you don't want any logos on your bike you can always put your
    >own name on the down tube; that would make your bike unique anyway.
    >
    >best, Bruce

    wonderful things can be done with lettraset or the like - my principal DF bike has a GIZMO "medium"
    derailleur (actually an old Exage) and is name-branded for a bit of the local scenery. Just apply
    and clearcoat... the font selection could be better locally but watcha gonna do - Ъ×

  8. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Maybe I should get an expensive bike and apply a decal that says "cheap WalMart Bike", or
    "Huffy", etc.