UK and Europe · Public discussion

End of year report.

Started by MSeries · · Last activity · 1 post · 417 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 December 2005
Last activity
30 December 2005
Original author
MSeries
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
417
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. With still one day of 2005 to go my totals might increase, not by much
    though, depends on the weather. Its currently raining and slushy outside.

    2005 saw my first full year of randoneering, I completed about 14 AUK
    events in all, no DNFs, got myself 44 points and 6.75 AAA points, not
    that I was chasing points. At the beginning of the year I had a vague
    notion of riding London-Edinbugh-London, I was quite apprehensive and
    despite talking about it didn’t really decide to enter until the entries
    opened in April/ May. I started training for it in February with my for
    200km randonee, my previous longest ride was 132 miles Morecambe to
    Scarborough about 5 years earlier. I found it quite easy to build the
    miles up, exceeding the recommended 10% increase per week quite
    dramatically. March was my very first 1000+ mile month with my second
    200km randonee, I was tired, very tired I had to force myself to rest
    when not cycling. I pulled through though. April was less hectic but
    with still 1000+ miles, some shorter hillier randonees where I gained my
    first AAA points and was first home on one event. (On my very first
    randonee in 2004 I was actually second home). I did many private rides
    of 200km or more. May came as did the really long randonees, two 300s
    and a 400. My first over night ride which I thoroughly enjoyed as well
    as finishes in the dark. June, my 40th birthday ride was on the NY Moors
    then home, only 200km in the rain. Midsummer is the time for 600s. 40
    hours to do them. The Three Coasts was carried out easy enough on a very
    hot day. My reconnaissance of the route paid off and I finished the
    first section with relative ease. The second section was tougher but we
    had plenty of time, once the day cooled off I was going better and
    finished the ride in 36 hours having had 6 hours off and some sleep.
    July was a the time to back off and rest for LEL a the end of the month.
    An aborted private 600, we did about 400km before catching a train, then
    an easy 200 at the start of the month then two weeks rest. The big event
    itself was superb, I was riding well, my preparation had been spot on. A
    thoroughly enjoyable time was had. What about the remainder of the year
    ? My goal had been reached, a handful of 200s plus lashings of private
    miles to aim for 9000 miles for the year to double the previous years
    total. No more 1000 mile months I am afraid, time to do other things,
    not bike related. 9000 was passed in November so a new target of 10000
    was made. I did it, at the time of writing its 10160. Four rides have
    been in excess of 200 miles, 29 in excess of 100 miles. Previously I’d
    done only four centuries in a year. Total number of rides this year was
    306, that includes 1 ride for each time I ride to work and back.

    It has been a great year. I have surprised myself with my progress, I
    have met many other cyclists and visited some new places. Visited
    Bridlington twice by bike, never seen the sea though. Visited Blackpool
    twice too. Done some more cycle touring, ridden over Britain’s highest
    road pass.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.