Ending Weights/starting tempo/intervals

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
:-\As the season is quickly approaching, I am needing a bit of advice about ending weight training and starting some tempo/intervals for the race season.<br /><br />I have been doing weight training in the gym during the winter and I am in my strength phase.I plan to do some power work in the gym shortly and to have at least 4 weeks of power work before the season starts.<br /><br />Im still not too sure about when to end or cut down the weight training and start tempo/intervals.At present I am getting long endurance runs at the weekend and go to the gym 4 times during the week(working each body part twice).I get out on the bike twice during the week, either on the trainer or on the road, for a couple of hours.Mainly steady, with some spin-ups, jumps etc,but no high-end stuff.<br /><br />My first 'A' race is end of March and there are some less important ones from the beginning of March.I thought about continuing weights until end Feb, and using these races for training.Starting some intervals training the beginning of March(preceded by few weeks of tempo).<br /><br />Any suggestions about when to start tempo/ intervals and to cut down or finish weight training would be appreciated.<br />

By the sounds of it if you are only getting out on the bike twice a week then its time to increase your bike time and decrease the volume of weights. <br /><br />If you want to do power training (which i think is a good idea although others will disagree) i would suggest that you can still train up to 4 times a week but lower the volume so that your sessions are short and intense without causing soreness.<br /><br />Then increase your training volume especially in the Aerobic conditioning zone (75-90% MHR as a rough guide only)<br /><br />You can also add intervals to this training but really heavy intervals for a protracted period of time may lead to overtraining and so it may be best to keep them for the 3-4 weeks pre comp.<br /><br />Just a few thoughts, no doubt some of the other guys here will have other ideas

[quote author=Duckwah link=board=15;threadid=2850;start=0#msg24081 date=1042077537]<br />By the sounds of it if you are only getting out on the bike twice a week then its time to increase your bike time and decrease the volume of weights. <br /><br />[/quote]<br />I meant to put in, im on the bike on Tuesdays(upper body gym day) and Wednesdays(no gym day).<br /><br />