Endo again

Dean A. Stepper

Guest
Please some helpful suggestions.

A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me problems.
Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the rains, it is a
v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself; I am a 52 year
old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem ditch is on a moderate
downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits the other side. I
keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom of the
ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section got me
trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?

Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> Please some helpful suggestions.
>
> A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me
> problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the
> rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself;
> I am a 52 year old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem ditch is
> on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits the
> other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom
> of the ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section
> got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

Try actually pushing the bike down into the dip when you get to the edge
- load up the front of the bike with your arms and body, then as soon as you start getting near the
bottom, suck that wheel back up and throw your weight backwards. As you come out of the ditch,
push the front of the bike away from you more and down, and let your legs come up. Its almost like
a bunnyhop, except you stay on the ground. You have to be going at a bit of a clip to do this
right, but start slow till you get more comfortable.

Jon Bond

In article <EKYqa.1503$pJ6.1072@fed1read05>, [email protected] says...
> Please some helpful suggestions.
>
> A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me
> problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the
> rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself;
> I am a 52 year old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem ditch is
> on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits the
> other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom
> of the ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section
> got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

I have a similar section on a trail i ride. i have found two methods that may help you. one is to
ride as far back and as low as you can go, and ride it out. as it sounds like this method fails for
you, the other method is to do similar to a wheelie-drop into the ditch. pop the wheel just before
you go down, and ride the wheelie until either you start up the other side, or the front wheel is
over the top of the ditch wall. then as the rear wheel rides up the other side of the ditch, soak it
up in your legs. This may or may not work for you, and perhaps it may even spawn a different
technique for negotiating it.

Keep in mind i ride a pretty heavy bike so yours may not respond the same as mine. I like to keep my
front wheel fairly light in technical section. that way it is more apt to roll over stuff rather
than running into it.

It makes a difference on the bottom of the ditch as well. if it is real sharp, as i suspect it is,
then the front wheel should be as light as you can get it (hence the wheelie-drop method). the rear
wheel will bounce a little at the bottom, but should ride up the other side.

This assumes the soil is fairly hard. if it is real soft, like mud, then your rear tire may simply
get buried and endo you anyway. if all else fails, find a rider that has ridden the section and get
advice from them as they will know more about the specifics than i do.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> Please some helpful suggestions.
>
> A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me
> problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the
> rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself;
> I am a 52 year old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem ditch is
> on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits the
> other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom
> of the ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section
> got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

you aren't by chance using your front brake and not being aware of it? Don't ask me how I know about
that one...

penny

--
me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> > Please some helpful suggestions.
> >
> > A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my
house
> > is giving me problems. Last year my current problem area was a
wop-de-do
> > little ditch, this year after the rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe
three
> > feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself; I am a 52 year
old
> > Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem
ditch
> > is on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits
> > the other side. I keep my ass over the back
tire
> > and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom of the ditch....this
has
> > not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this
section
> > got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?
> >
> > Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA
>

> Try actually pushing the bike down into the dip when you get to the edge
> - load up the front of the bike with your arms and body, then as soon as you start getting near
> the bottom, suck that wheel back up and throw your weight backwards. As you come out of the
> ditch, push the front of the bike away from you more and down, and let your legs come up. Its
> almost like a bunnyhop, except you stay on the ground. You have to be going at a bit of a clip
> to do this right, but start slow till you get more comfortable.
>
> Jon Bond

or you could just walk it if your not comfortable trying that method.

Always a possibility isn't it. When are they coming out with anti-lock front brakes? Dean "Penny S."

In article <BzZqa.1509$pJ6.1111@fed1read05>, [email protected] says...
> Always a possibility isn't it. When are they coming out with anti-lock front brakes? Dean "Penny
> S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> > > Please some helpful suggestions.
> > >
> > > A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me
> > > problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the
> > > rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to
> > > myself; I am a 52 year old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This
> > > problem ditch is on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my
> > > front tire hits the other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up
> > > when I get to the bottom of the ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is
> > > going to slow but this section got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of
> > > speed any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA
> >
> > you aren't by chance using your front brake and not being aware of it? Don't ask me how I know
> > about that one...
> >

> > penny
> >
> > --
> > me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

They already have them, but it depends on how fast you can squeeze and release the brake lever
repeatedly ;-)

I doubt it will be an available item at the sensors and processor, as well as the brake actuator
would both be costly, and heavy.

~Travis
--

Technician wrote:
> In article <BzZqa.1509$pJ6.1111@fed1read05>, [email protected] says...
>
>>Always a possibility isn't it. When are they coming out with anti-lock front brakes? Dean "Penny
>>S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>>>you aren't by chance using your front brake and not being aware of it? Don't ask me how I know
>>>about that one...
>>>

>>>penny
>>>
>>>--
>>>me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm
>>>

> They already have them, but it depends on how fast you can squeeze and release the brake lever
> repeatedly ;-)
>
> I doubt it will be an available item at the sensors and processor, as well as the brake actuator
> would both be costly, and heavy.
>
> ~Travis

Plus the rapid vibration would probably do nasty things to handling and control. Not to mention the
fact that sometimes I WANT to lock that front brake up....

Jon Bond

> Technician wrote:
> > In article <BzZqa.1509$pJ6.1111@fed1read05>, [email protected] says...
> >
> >>Always a possibility isn't it. When are they coming out with anti-lock front brakes? Dean "Penny

> > They already have them, but it depends on how fast you can squeeze and release the brake lever
> > repeatedly ;-)
> >
> > I doubt it will be an available item at the sensors and processor, as well as the brake actuator
> > would both be costly, and heavy.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Plus the rapid vibration would probably do nasty things to handling and control. Not to mention
> the fact that sometimes I WANT to lock that front brake up....
>
> Jon Bond

True, can't do a wheel stand without locking the brake, though most of my wheel stands end up as
endos anyway (too much brake too fast).

~Travis
--

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:EKYqa.1503$pJ6.1072@fed1read05...
> Please some helpful suggestions.
>
> A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my
house
> is giving me problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year
> after the rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe
three
> feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself; I am a 52 year
old
> Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem
ditch
> is on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits
> the other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the
> bottom of the ditch....this
has
> not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section got me trippin. Short off
> bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

If you have a suspension fork try compressing the fork hard just as you reach the bottom (I
know...scary) the resulting rebound will pop you right up and out of the ditch. It's
counter-intuitive to what you really want to be doing at that moment but it works. Heck it might
work on a rigid fork by just compressing the tire and letting it rebound.

Mike

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BzZqa.1509$pJ6.1111@fed1read05...
> Always a possibility isn't it. When are they coming out with anti-lock front brakes? Dean "Penny
> S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> > > Please some helpful suggestions.
> > >
> > > A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me
> > > problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the
> > > rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to
> > > myself; I am a 52 year old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This
> > > problem ditch is on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my
> > > front tire hits the other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up
> > > when I get to the bottom of the ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is
> > > going to slow but this section got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of
> > > speed any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA
> >
> > you aren't by chance using your front brake and not being aware of it? Don't ask me how I know
> > about that one...
> >

> > penny
> >
> > --
> > me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

Some cheapo bikes (eg kids bikes) with Vs come with a sprung barrel in the linkage which prevents
locking the front brake. If you squeeze too hard a spring in this device gives so that not all your
force transfers to the brakes! They feel horrible to use but i guess they are safer for kids...

Mark (UK) wrote:

> Some cheapo bikes (eg kids bikes) with Vs come with a sprung barrel in the linkage which
> prevents locking the front brake. If you squeeze too hard a spring in this device gives so that
> not all your force transfers to the brakes! They feel horrible to use but i guess they are safer
> for kids...

Apparently my son's bike is NOT equipped with anti lock brakes. Julian's never had a problem
with them - every bike he's ever owned has been well made and well maintained by his father.
He's grown up to expect that when you grab the brakes, you will *stop*. But when he traded
bikes with his buddy, who rides a hand-me-down beater, Jason wound up laying on his back in
the street with the bike on top of him. The kid was okay, but the brake levers were a little
bent. Personally, I'd probably be a little put off by such an experience, but, then again,
I've never been an 8 year old boy. They spent the rest of the afternoon practicing nose
wheelies, endos and auguring in. It's amazing that any of us survive our childhoods.

Kathleen

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Technician wrote:
> > In article <BzZqa.1509$pJ6.1111@fed1read05>, [email protected] says...
> >
> >>Always a possibility isn't it. When are they coming out with anti-lock front brakes? Dean "Penny

> > They already have them, but it depends on how fast you can squeeze and release the brake lever
> > repeatedly ;-)
> >
> > I doubt it will be an available item at the sensors and processor, as well as the brake actuator
> > would both be costly, and heavy.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Plus the rapid vibration would probably do nasty things to handling and control. Not to mention
> the fact that sometimes I WANT to lock that front brake up....
>
> Jon Bond

Oooo, just think of the extra shock fatigue on the h/set bearings and fork bushes............

Shaun aRe - be good to get your g/f on the bars and anchor hard though......... I suppose.........

> Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Technician wrote:
> > > In article <BzZqa.1509$pJ6.1111@fed1read05>, [email protected] says...

> > > They already have them, but it depends on how fast you can squeeze and release the brake lever
> > > repeatedly ;-)
> > >
> > > I doubt it will be an available item at the sensors and processor, as well as the brake
> > > actuator would both be costly, and heavy.
> > >
> > > ~Travis
> >
> > Plus the rapid vibration would probably do nasty things to handling and control. Not to mention
> > the fact that sometimes I WANT to lock that front brake up....
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> Oooo, just think of the extra shock fatigue on the h/set bearings and fork bushes............
>
> Shaun aRe - be good to get your g/f on the bars and anchor hard though......... I suppose.........

Hey, now theres a thought. if you have a g/f who dislikes mtb riding, install ABS brakes on the rear
wheel. but then again, she may stay too far behind ;-)

~Travis
--

Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

be
the

> > > Plus the rapid vibration would probably do nasty things to handling
and
> > > control. Not to mention the fact that sometimes I WANT to lock that front brake up....
> > >
> > > Jon Bond
> >
> > Oooo, just think of the extra shock fatigue on the h/set bearings and
fork
> > bushes............
> >
> > Shaun aRe - be good to get your g/f on the bars and anchor hard though......... I
> > suppose.........
> >

> Hey, now theres a thought. if you have a g/f who dislikes mtb riding, install ABS brakes on the
> rear wheel. but then again, she may stay too far behind ;-)
>
> ~Travis

Yes, I am nothing if not smart, and a man who knows how to take good care of the ladies.

Shaun aRe- 'See? Always thinking, me.......'

> Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> anti-lock

> by
> be
> weight
> downhill
> the
> not
> section
> speed

> it?

> and

> as

> and

> > > Oooo, just think of the extra shock fatigue on the h/set bearings and
> fork
> > > bushes............
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe - be good to get your g/f on the bars and anchor hard though......... I
> > > suppose.........
> > >

> > Hey, now theres a thought. if you have a g/f who dislikes mtb riding, install ABS brakes on the
> > rear wheel. but then again, she may stay too far behind ;-)
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Yes, I am nothing if not smart, and a man who knows how to take good care of the ladies.
>

> Shaun aRe- 'See? Always thinking, me.......'

LMAO :-D
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:EKYqa.1503$pJ6.1072@fed1read05...
> Please some helpful suggestions.
>
> A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my
house
> is giving me problems. Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year
> after the rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe
three
> feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself; I am a 52 year
old
> Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem
ditch
> is on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits
> the other side. I keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the
> bottom of the ditch....this
has
> not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section got me trippin. Short off
> bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

Best method would be to try and manual it. As you approch the dip move your weight backwards and
lift the front wheel, aiming to plant it down after the
dip. The rear wheel will follow through ok. Get this technique right and you will find you use it
all the time.

Steve E.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Please some helpful suggestions.
>
>A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my house is giving me problems.
>Last year my current problem area was a wop-de-do little ditch, this year after the rains, it is a
>v-shaped ditch maybe three feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself; I am a 52 year
>old Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem ditch is on a moderate
>downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle bars when my front tire hits the other side. I
>keep my ass over the back tire and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom of the
>ditch....this has not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this section got me
>trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed any suggestions?

Dean,

That ditch is a classic "wheel eater" - if it's really shaped like that, there's almost no way to
ride through it. When your front wheel drops in, about the time you need to be starting to lift the
front end, the rear wheel will start to drop on behind you, which will tend to cause the front end
to NOT lift.

I'd suggest just walking the ditch (or perhaps finding a 12" log to drop into it). I had a similar
obstacle in Korea, and my brain wouldn't let me attempt it. Finally my testosterone (you reading
this, Kathleen?) forced me to quit being a girlie man and go for it.

It resulted in the only stitches I've ever had in my life. ;-)

> If you have a suspension fork try compressing the fork hard just as you reach the bottom (I
> know...scary) the resulting rebound will pop you right up and out of the ditch.

Speaking of suspension forks, Dean, do you have the heavy springs in yours? (Or if it's an air fork,
do you have it set to the correct pressure?). I have a friend about your weight that had problems
with endos on his Psylo fork until he upgraded to the heavy springs.

-John Morgan

"..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> > > Please some helpful suggestions.
> > >
> > > A section of narrow twisty tight single track trail I ride allot by my
> house
> > > is giving me problems. Last year my current problem area was a
> wop-de-do
> > > little ditch, this year after the rains, it is a v-shaped ditch maybe
> three
> > > feet across, maybe 18 inches deep. To be kind to myself; I am a 52
year
> old
> > > Clydesdale with most of my weight (225lbs) in my torso. This problem
> ditch
> > > is on a moderate downhill grade and I keeping going over the handle
bars
> > > when my front tire hits the other side. I keep my ass over the back
> tire
> > > and pull the front tire up when I get to the bottom of the
ditch....this
> has
> > > not helped. I know past of the problem is going to slow but this
> section
> > > got me trippin. Short off bunny hopping it at a high rate of speed
any
> > > suggestions?
> > >
> > > Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA
> >

> > Try actually pushing the bike down into the dip when you get to the edge
> > - load up the front of the bike with your arms and body, then as soon as you start getting near
> > the bottom, suck that wheel back up and throw your weight backwards. As you come out of the
> > ditch, push the front of the bike away from you more and down, and let your legs come up. Its
> > almost like a bunnyhop, except you stay on the ground. You have to be going at a bit of a clip
> > to do this right, but start slow till you get more comfortable.
> >
> > Jon Bond
> >

> or you could just walk it if your not comfortable trying that method.

But the activity is "riding" a bike....