Endos thus face-plants/who's done them?

LIBERATOR

Guest
How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
hospital attention?

Well, if you ride enough and push your personal limits, crash's of
all kinds are gonna happen.
Whether you go to E room or not depends on the severity of the
injury, not how traumatic the crash was......

"LIBERATOR" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
>hospital attention?

Lots o' endos - never a face plant.

Mark "tuck and roll and/or bail out over the bars" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per LIBERATOR:
>> How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
>> hospital attention?

> Two face plants, no hospital.
>
> #1) Crossed some old railroad track, was pedaling up through a sort of notch in
> the embankment, hit some mud, front wheel washed, left side of head went *splat*
> on the wet clay. Knocked me unconscious. When I came to, I saw this
> pyramid-shaped outcropping a few inches from where my left temple went splat.
> That started me wearing a helmet.
>
> #2) Forgot I was riding slicks, sort of jumped/slapped a curb up on to an
> off-camber bank.... Not too bad. The myrtle growing on the bank cushioned the
> impact a little and I think the helmet helped some too.
>

> Three endos, no hospital.
>
> #1) Going down a grass bank at less than walking speed. The grass camouflaged
> the fact that there was about a six inch rise before the concrete curb. It was
> sort of slow motion. Banged/cut up a shin, had some blood to show the folks at
> work (lunchtime ride).
>
> #2) Coming off a hiker's bridge, about 14" drop. Rolled it instead of picking
> the front wheel up. Dunno quite what happened, but the shin burger was pretty
> impressive.
>
> #3) Riding down an abandoned railroad right-of-way, came to a small downed tree
> laying in a shallow pool of mud/rotten leaves. Walking pace, hopped over a the
> 4" trunk, was about to cross over a 2" branch and splat.
>
> Interesting puncture wound just below the knee. About 1/2" wide and sort of
> crater-like in that it didn't close up. Probably from a deadhead on the tree.
> Sluiced it out with water from my drinking bottle, and could see a pouch around
> it about 2" in diameter under the surrounding skin. Hosed it with Betadyne,
> then sluiced it again with water...
>
> Two weeks later, it was still oozing some yellowish gunk, I went somewhere and
> had it checked for infection and sewn up. Turns out the yellowish gunk is some
> sort of normal bodily fluid. Geeze, I hope there isn't too much of that stuff
> inside me...it was kind of gross.
>
> I'm a *really* cautious rider. Inept, clumsy, and sometimes stupid.... but
> cautious.
>
> Seems to me like the potential for serious injury in MTB riding is quite high.

Pete,

Come on out to the Pines on Sunday and ride with us. I guarantee the
soft pine needles will break your fall ;).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote:

>Come on out to the Pines on Sunday and ride with us. I guarantee the
>soft pine needles will break your fall ;).

I miss that - here in the desert, you fall, you bleed.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "LIBERATOR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
>>hospital attention?

> Lots o' endos - never a face plant.
>
> Mark "tuck and roll and/or bail out over the bars" Hickey

Or swan dive over the bars as the bike rotates past vertical, fly down
the slope about ten feet, latch onto the next thing that feels like
ground, continue steep-slope handspring, rotate magically face-down and
up-slope. Land completely intact, about 1 second before the bike lands.
Breathe, get up, check extremities, collect bike, continue down the
narrow, slightly exposed trail.

Coolest fall I ever had, but without that big thistle hanging over the
trail in that particular narrow spot, I don't think I'll ever be able to
repeat it.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

Per LIBERATOR:
>How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
>hospital attention?

Two face plants, no hospital.

#2) Forgot I was riding slicks, sort of jumped/slapped a curb up on to an

#1) Going down a grass bank at less than walking speed. The grass camouflaged

#2) Coming off a hiker's bridge, about 14" drop. Rolled it instead of picking

#3) Riding down an abandoned railroad right-of-way, came to a small downed tree
[...]

"LIBERATOR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
> hospital attention?

Never OTB, always over the rear tire and inadvertently pulling a manual,
tossing the bike forward. It's from when I used to do trials.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Of the two that stick out for me, one was overjumping a dirt jump by a
good way, bikes nose down for the transition but the transition has
long since past underneath my wheels. Second was much more humorous.
Its dusk, the light is fading, I spot a short steep slope and
automatically hit it to get some air. When I pick myself up off the
ground I see its a set of steps :-(.
Steve.

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Of the two that stick out for me, one was overjumping a dirt jump by a
> good way, bikes nose down for the transition but the transition has
> long since past underneath my wheels. Second was much more humorous.
> Its dusk, the light is fading, I spot a short steep slope and
> automatically hit it to get some air. When I pick myself up off the
> ground I see its a set of steps :-(.
> Steve.

Class that Steve, *pure* class, heheheheh!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"LIBERATOR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
> hospital attention?

I did a superman once over the bars at Diablo Freeride Park. It was a rocky
section and my front wheel got jammed in between a set of rocks. I was going
at speed so it threw me over the bars, I got a few feet up in the air before
I landed on my chest and slid on the rocky section for a couple of feet.
Luckily, I was wearing a full face helmet and body armor so no damage was
done to me. The only damage done was to the jersey I was wearing, it got
shredded.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Shaun aRe wrote:
> Class that Steve, *pure* class, heheheheh!

It was a proper 'WTF just happened?' moment.
With your track record you must have had a few faceplants, maybe some
of them were even on the bike?

From: [email protected] (JD)
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Subject: RR:pile Driver
Date: 17 Apr 2004 10:23:07 -0700

What kind of idiot puts a $10 chain on a spendy singlespeed? This
idiot, but at least I wear a helmet for those unexpected moments that
mountain biking brings to us all.

So, TJ pops by the Shack on his way to the 'hood trails and I'm
working on my Rollfast cruiser project. Of course I can't resist a
spin, so I gather my junk and hop on the singlespeed to join him.

We spin over to the trailhead, catching up and BSing a bit as we
cruised over. TJ suggested a route and I agreed, so up the main jeep
track we climbed. On the way up we saw at least four doofi riding
down with no helmets, as well as a dude walking his bike out with a
toasted Mavic crossmax that he had pulled a spoke out of while JRA.

Part way up, I showed TJ a singletrack diversion for part of the jeep
road. It's really swoopy and twice as fun as the main route,
especially on a singlespeed. The next climb pitch is something I
haven't climbed with a 2:1 ratio before and it was no different than
usual. I waited for TJ at the top and as he finished pushing his pig
bike up, I threw a verbal barb at him and we had a laugh. Karma can
be a *****, especially when instant.

I sped up the next short pitch and hammered at the next sustained
climb. There was a jogger between me and where the route narrows a
bit, so I gunned it a little harder to safely pass her. Just after
passing her, I heard a loud SNAP and the next nanoseconds seemed like
an eternity. First, my legs started spinning wildly as if I no longer
had a chain on my bike. Because I was in a slight turn when this
happened, I veered towards the side of the trail while trying to brake
and control the bike. I got my right foot out to try and help with
the stop, but I was goig too fast and realized I was going over the
side. Ditching the bike underneath me, I took a dive and while in the
air, realized that I was going to land in some rocks that were pretty
big. Head up, I saw one particular rock rushing towards my mug like I
was some kind of demented smart bomb headed for a Republican Guard
tank. Instinct took over and my chin hit my chest just as the top of
my nugget pile drove right onto the rock. I felt my spine compress
and heard the audible helmet-break snap then rolled straight over,
ending up flat on my back.

The jogger was horrified, immediately stopping and asking if I was ok.
I was already in the self-check mode and didn't feel any numbness, so
I answered that I was because my head broke my fall and then asked her
if there was a chain in the trail. She said there was and brought it
over to where my bike had ended up. I thanked her for checking on me
and told her TJ was coming and she could continue her jog, so she
bailed. She had the full on bird's eye view of the whole thing, I
hope she didn't have any nightmares about it.

TJ pulled up, thinking it was staged at first, but after seeing my
shredded helmet knew that I had taken a good digger. He immediately
went into Navy Corpsman mode, which I appreciated, though I knew I was
ok. A second opinion never hurts. I put the chain back together and
he asked if we should carry on and I told him my legs were still
working, so off we went.

Before we arrived at our ultimate singletrack destination, I snapped
the chain two more times, on the same cursed link. The las tone
happened just before the downhill, so I decided to do it as a
chainless. TJ laughed and off we went. Singlespeed skills are
definitely transferable to a chainless downhill, where I made it all
of the way to the singletrack without pushing the bike.

I had spare chain links with me and could have properly fixed the
chain, but wanted to see just how far I could get chainless on the
next drop-in. I did a few push-dabs in two of the flats near the top,
but railed the rest it with no problems at all. Around the corner I
had to do a little more pushing and then pushed up a small climb out
of a side canyon. TJ got a first for himself at the top of that
particular climb, cleaning a really tight turn in-between two boulders
and did it smoothly and in style.

At that point we decided to hit the next pavement, fix my chain and
spin home on the blacktop. On the way back, we saw a deputy
contacting a transient and I said hi to him calling out his name. The
puzzled look and wave told me that he didn't recognize me, so I called
him a freak as we headed up the street. He passed us by right near
the entrance to our street, pulled in and was waiting for us. He
admitted that he didn't recognize me at first, but as soon as I called
him a freak, immediately knew it was me and laughed. Infamy can be a
good thing.

The moral of the story? Don't use SRAM PC-1 chains on your
singlespeeds. After snapping that chain about six times now and
almost breaking my neck because of it, it's getting round-filed and
replaced by a Wipperman or KMC chain today.

JD

LIBERATOR wrote:
> How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
> hospital attention?

I've gone OTB more times than I've kept track of. It's usually once or
twice a season at least, and in the early years it was sometimes several
per ride. So that would be maybe 40 or 50 or so times. Usually it ends
up ok. Like a vault over the bars. I think I even did one with JD and
GDubb once on the SS but I ended up on my feet and I'm not sure if they
saw. Every few years I take a hard one and that's one reason I had
shoulder surgery a few years ago.

I think I've only made face to ground contact once that I remember. It
was on a lunch break ride when I worked at Crested Butte. I was riding
the DH course and there was a sweeping right hand turn on a narrow trail
with tall grass surrounding it. It was pretty steep and I just tried
to carve it. Unknown to me, the trail surface was all baseball to
softball sized rocks. So when I came into the rocks with my weight over
my front wheel (to carve it) my bike just seemed to disappear under me.
It happened vary fast and I scraped my chin (as well as my forearms and
chest). It wasn't too bad, but it looked nasty. I had a meeting
immediately afterwards and my chin was doing that oozy road rash thing.
Every time anyone talked to me I could see them trying not to look at
the wound, but their eyes were always drawn to it.

Matt

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> Which begs the question: When driving a car, has anybody found themselves in a
> standstill traffic jam that they would get out of by just hopping that 18" curb
> over there....? I've found myself pulling back on the steering wheel before
> coming to the realization....
> --

Not quite that extreme, but when driving over speed bumps I have a
tendancy to try to accelerate as the front wheels go over to manual
them. In a car. D'oh!

LIBERATOR wrote:
> How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
> hospital attention?

Nasty OTB a dozen years ago resulted in a very torn up shoulder and two
months of PT. My broken helmet SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!!!
;-)
Twice that many years ago, on a road bike-I'd seen one MTB at that
point, I was with a group ride. We approached a stop sign and one of
Colorado Springs' finest, sitting in a patrol car, was able to pull his
attention away from his donut long enough to notice us and announce on
his car PA system "Please stop at the stop sign." (at least he said
please). Having a mouth full of donut, he wasn't that clear, so I
looked around to see where that speech-like noise was coming from. My
team mate Lance (no not that Lance) was riding just ahead of me.
Comprehending donut-speak better than I, he slowed down. Figuring out
what the cop said I turned around just as my front tire hit Lance's
derailleur. I launched, somehow missed Lance, came straight down,
tucked, rolled, and came up on my feet skittering to a stop on my
plastic soled road shoes. Wish I had done the same in the above wreck.
IIRC the only damage was a bent derailleur hanger on my bike (before
index shifting, so it was barely noticeable) and a bruised heel. The
cop ignored the whole thing, I like to think it was because he was so
surprised at seeing a flying cyclist he spilled burning hot coffee in
his crotch.
Those are just two memorable ones of many.

Shawn

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>

>>Which begs the question: When driving a car, has anybody found themselves in a
>>standstill traffic jam that they would get out of by just hopping that 18" curb
>>over there....? I've found myself pulling back on the steering wheel before
>>coming to the realization....
>>--

> Not quite that extreme, but when driving over speed bumps I have a
> tendancy to try to accelerate as the front wheels go over to manual
> them. In a car. D'oh!

When I first started riding a motorcycle I would catch myself setting up
to bunny hop railroad tracks.

Shawn

Shawn wrote:
> LIBERATOR wrote:
>
>> How many of you have done them, to almost making it necessary to seek
>> hospital attention?
>>

> Nasty OTB a dozen years ago resulted in a very torn up shoulder and two
> months of PT. My broken helmet SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!!!
> ;-)
> Twice that many years ago, on a road bike-I'd seen one MTB at that
> point, I was with a group ride.

My best OTB was on a road bike also, circa 1983 on my 1971 Sears Free
Spirit. I was on my usual route through Santa Clarita, just cruising
through a residential neighborhood, when passing by a car which a
mid-size dog was sleeping under the dog decided to wake up and chase a
car on the opposite side of the street, the dog was oblivious to my
front wheel which he promptly ran into sending me directly over the
bars. If I had been wearing my gloves they probably would have saved me
from the deep gouges on the heels of my palms. But, alas, I was unlucky
enough to be hit by a dog on the one day I forgot to wear them. I have
forgotten my helmet since then but never my gloves.

Greg

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per spademan o---[) *:
> >I spot a short steep slope and
> >automatically hit it to get some air.

> Which begs the question: When driving a car, has anybody found themselves

in a
> standstill traffic jam that they would get out of by just hopping that 18"

curb
> over there....? I've found myself pulling back on the steering wheel

before
> coming to the realization....
> --
> PeteCresswell

If I did that with my car (sports car), I would probably wreck the front end
going over the curb.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Per spademan o---[) *: