Ends in a couple of hours. Huret shifters for auction.

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace archive' started by Greg Achtem, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Greg Achtem

    Greg Achtem Guest

    Tags:

  2. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg Achtem
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular!
    >Smooth pure friction shifting. From when you had to shift
    >to shift. Perfect for a good restoration or a good beater.
    >They're French! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI-
    >tem&item=3663859849

    According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4
    times. According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I
    suppose that's reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times,
    you'll get 100 bids.

    Are these really "wildly popular"?

    What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be added
    to the winning bid to partially cover materials and
    handling. Winning bidder to pay all actual shipping costs."
    Are you saying that you will charge $1 more than the winning
    bid, in addition to the shipping cost?

    Lastly, just how much are you trying to get for these? Your
    repeated posting makes it appear that you're trying to drum
    up some bidders; even in the pleasant condition which you
    describe, this item is not worth huge gobs of money. Brand
    new Dura Ace shift levers, only 66 grams, that can switch
    between friction and 9 speed index shifting, only cost $30
    at Performance. Brand new 96 gram Falcon downtube friction-
    only shifters (which require you "to shift to shift") are $7
    at Alfred E Bike (aebike.com). Obviously, then, these would
    be for a restoration; but you can find similar shifters, in
    great condition, on whole bikes at yard sales and thrift
    shops for ten to twenty dollars.

    I'm just wondering if there's something really special to
    these, that would cause you to post your auction notice so
    repeatedly to
    r.b.marketplace. That, and I'm procrastinating on doing
    things that I really need to do, so this message took up
    some of my time, and caused me to find a source for
    brand new downtube shifters for $7... ;)
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. Greg Achtem

    Greg Achtem Guest

    --------------090606040309010705030502

    Rick Onanian wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg Achtem
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular!
    >>Smooth pure friction shifting. From when you had to shift
    >>to shift. Perfect for a good restoration or a good beater.
    >>They're French! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View-
    >>Item&item=3663859849
    >>

    >According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4 times.
    >According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I suppose
    >that's reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times, you'll get
    >100 bids.

    Well if I thought that were true . . .

    >Are these really "wildly popular"?

    Nope. Maybe once, but not now. Except maybe to the
    winning bidder.

    >What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be
    >added to the winning bid to partially cover materials and
    >handling. Winning bidder to pay all actual shipping costs."
    >Are you saying that you will charge $1 more than the
    >winning bid, in addition to the shipping cost?

    Yes. Sturdy box or padded envelope. Packing materials like
    bubble wrap or foam peanuts. One, maybe two trips to the
    post office to get the exact shipping price and to ship.
    Printed label. None of this is free, but one buck is a
    great deal.

    >Lastly, just how much are you trying to get for these? Your
    >repeated posting makes it appear that you're trying to drum
    >up some bidders; even in the pleasant condition which you
    >describe, this item is not worth huge gobs of money. Brand
    >new Dura Ace shift levers, only 66 grams, that can switch
    >between friction and 9 speed index shifting, only cost $30
    >at Performance. Brand new 96 gram Falcon downtube friction-
    >only shifters (which require you "to shift to shift") are
    >$7 at Alfred E Bike (aebike.com). Obviously, then, these
    >would be for a restoration; but you can find similar
    >shifters, in great condition, on whole bikes at yard sales
    >and thrift shops for ten to twenty dollars.
    >
    >I'm just wondering if there's something really special to
    >these, that would cause you to post your auction notice so
    >repeatedly to
    >r.b.marketplace. That, and I'm procrastinating on doing
    > things that I really need to do, so this message took
    > up some of my time, and caused me to find a source for
    > brand new downtube shifters for $7... ;)
    >--

    How much am I trying to get for these? $4.99 or more.. Am I
    trying to drum up bidders? Yes, of course. Why the repeated
    postings? The more exposure the more bids. Do I think this
    is excessive? No.

    I'm glad you found what you wanted for cheap. I like to
    shop that way too.

    Cheers!

    Greg

    --------------090606040309010705030502 Content-Type:
    text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
    Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-
    Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
    cite="[email protected]">
    <pre wrap="">On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg
    Achtem <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:gac-
    [email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote:
    get your bid in! These are wildly popular! Smooth pure
    friction shifting. From when you had to shift to shift.
    Perfect for a good restoration or a good beater. They're
    French! <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://cg-
    i.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3663859849">ht-
    tp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=366-
    According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4
    times. According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I
    suppose that's reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times,
    thought that were true . . . <br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email protected]">
    <pre wrap="">

    Are these really "wildly popular"?</pre> </blockquote>
    Nope. Maybe once, but not now. Except maybe to the
    winning bidder.<br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email protected]">
    <pre wrap="">

    What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be
    added to the winning bid to partially cover materials and
    handling. Winning bidder to pay all actual shipping
    costs." Are you saying that you will charge $1 more than
    the winning bid, in addition to the shipping cost?</pre>
    materials like bubble wrap or foam peanuts. One, maybe
    two trips to the post office to get the exact shipping
    price and to ship. Printed label. None of this is free,
    but one buck is a great deal.<br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email protected]">
    <pre wrap="">

[...]

    brand new downtube shifters for $7... ;) --</pre>
    $4.99 or more.. Am I trying to drum up bidders? Yes, of
    course. Why the repeated postings? The more exposure the
    more bids. Do I think this is excessive? No.<br> <br>